Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

North to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 AM
Eltopia
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

We will probably come back on the Cassiar.
Different people have told me the scenery is better on the Cassiar.
Other people have said don't miss the road from Dawson Creek North.
Have about decided to skip the Top Of The World and spend as much time as we can around the Kenai.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Notsure
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're planning on taking a ferry or maybe a plane to Kodiak Island. Chriss has a invitation from a former student who lives there to spend a couple nights at their home. She works for the state and they promised to show us some bears. When you leaving?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:55 PM
0jim0
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode the Cassar (RT 37) north and came south on Rt 97 in the summer of 2008. Had a wonderful trip, but did luck out with no rain. I did the trip solo on my 2004 Road King Classic. Most of RT 37 was in really good shape and fairly recently repaved. There were some dirt stretches north of Dease Lake, but they were easy to ride. I'm not a dirt rider and usually freak out when I see gravel, but this road was an easy 40-50mph ride. The northern part of RT 37 was tougher with a lot of frost heaves and potholes, but most have been marked with small flags. You learn to look for them! There isn't a lot of gas, so never pass us a chance to refuel, but there is eneough to make it. I don't think I ever went more than 150 miles between stops. The wildlife is amazing. I saw lots of bears and moose on the Cassar, and even had a gray wolf stand on the side of the road as I rode past. Rt 97 has even more wildlife, but most of it is farther off of the road. Lots of bison.
There are a number of short grated bridges on Rt37. There is definetly less trafic on Rt 37, and about half of it seemed to be bikes. I would take the same trip in a minute.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Notsure
Advanced

Thanks for the Cassiar info. We were pretty sure about going back that way but your post cinched it!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Notsure
Advanced
Default on the road

Left on schedule Friday. Took hyw. 141 thru Iowa to I-29, and then Hwy. 81 off I-90 in South Dakota, then 281 up to Jamestown, ND. 25 mile per hour tailwind made going north a great ride. Stopped in Jamestown last night because of a tornado on the ground in Bismarck. This morning we hit some rain early and then again near the Montana border, but lucked out and missed the severe stuff. 1150 miles in two days. We're all doing good and the bikes are running good as well. Tomorrow we go through Cut Bank and we're planning on riding into Glacier NP. Tomorrow night in Cranbrook, BC. Posting this from Havre, MT

Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Notsure
Advanced

Stayed at the Super 8 in Havre, MT. (Pronounced have er). Got on the road at 8:00 am. Had a headwind; bothered Chriss more than our Ultra. 50 miles west of Havre, we caught the first look of the snowy mountains of Glacier NP. They were a little over 100 miles away. It was a crisp, cloudless morning. Rode the curvy road to St. Mary's and then into the Park. Some of the road in the Park is being rebuilt but there wasn't any construction because it was Sunday. The sign at the park entrance said to expect 5 hour waits during construction Mon-Thurs. Perfect day, perfect ride on the Going to the Sun road. Traffic light to moderate. Coasted down the west side where the road was being re-done; we got out of the Park in good time. The afternoon got hot; we stopped and had a couple beers and then headed towards Canada. Gassed up in Eureka; there were about 20 cars in front of us at the Border. We were asked a couple questions and passed right thru. Spending tonight in Kimberly, BC. 450 miles today.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Notsure
Advanced
Default days 3 and 4

We went back to Cranbrook and stopped at the HD dealer. Chriss bought a t-shirt. We took 93-95 up to Radium Hot Springs and then 93 into kootenay Nat'l. Park. Good road, saw a sow black bear and two cubs. $12.00 C each to enter the Park. It was worth every penny. Roads were good, scenery was awesome. We saw Big horn sheep, more bears, mountain goats and lots of deer. Rain threatened at Saskatchewan River Crossing and we put on rain gear. Lucked out again with only light rain. We got to Jasper and had pizza at North Face Pizza. It was very good. Called the Silver Fox and told him where we were. We went to Hinton gassed up and went to the Silver Fox's home. Met him and his signif. other Joann and got a tour of their beautiful new home. Had a peaceful night, coffee and pastry in the morning and said goodbye. Great hosts!!
Tuesday morning we got going about 9:30 . We took the Big Horn Highway up to Grand Cashe, on up to Grand Prairie. Saw deer about every five miles, a moose and a coyote. Great road, great ride. Stopped at Dawson Creek and saw the mile marker. Had a couple beers and ate dinner. Rode thru Ft St. John. Almost hit a deer outside Ft.St. John. Spent the night at the Shepherds Inn. Nice older motel, nice people running it. Food was very good, especially breakfast. The bacon was like eating steak! Chriss has issues with his rear brake, and has a bad front motor mount. My cruise control quit working, can't see why. I'm going to tighten the cables and go that way until we get to Whitehorse

Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Notsure
Advanced

Oops. Days 4 and 5, not 3 and 4. Kind of lose track on the road.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks very much for posting about your trip!! Sounds as if you are having a great time. Would love to do this same ride one day.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great details on the trip. I want to take such a trip in the future, but will surely have problems at the border thanx to something stupid I did 5 years ago.

Wishing you safe riding all the way up and back. Keep us posted please on the trip.

How far did you go between gas stations once further up into Canada?

Quick Reply: North to Alaska