Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Americade

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Havanacigar
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Americade

never been...heading up for a one day fact finding trip (LOL) Heard the police are not too friendly about helmets and loud pipes...anyone have any expirences with that? general do's and dont's? Jim

Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We go every year as we only live less than an hour south. If you barge around making noise then the police will stop you. If you are unlucky enough to get caught in one of the random road blocks then you might get nailed. Most of the time they do not have a decibel meter, so when you go to court just ask "what was the decibel reading?". Without that the legality of the pipes is just speculation. The same with the helmet, tell them your sticker fell off and ask for the list of approved helmets to ensure that yours is not on it. There is no list as DOT has not certified any helmets since the 70's.
You should be able to find some place to stay within a half hour of Lake George. Try one of the dinner cruises with your significant other. Don't forget to go south to the "Teepee" as there are lots of venders there and a little bit south of there as well. Great rides through the Adirondacks too. Hope this helps.

Last edited by miacycles; 06-03-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
alto
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Americade

We go every year. It's a good time. most everyone is cool. The police are ok but don't put up with a lot. If you have loud pipes, just be cool about it and not try to 'get noticed'..From what I've seen, it's the few who 'test' the limits of sound and screwing around, that get stopped. Almost impossible to get a room for one night..Most all places have a 4 night minimum stay in and close to town...A few years ago, we stayed in Saratoga Springs ( about a half hour south of Lake George village...Just one night stay ( holiday inn I think).
Do chill out and try one of the cruises for dinner and drinks etc..or, just the cruise.
The trade show is ok at best...Last year, I really didn't think there were any great deals at the show ( $10 I think to get in)..
A few decent places to chow down from quick joints to sit-down dinners..( I like Mario's at the North end of the main drag...needs reservations early in the day)..Go and enjoy.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

I go every year. I live about 40 minutes from Laconia NH rally. Americade is so much better. I have yet to see the Hell's Angles there or any MC club that want to cause problems. My wife will not go near Laconia,but she looks forward to the 400 mile trip to NY every year. Keep the noise down you wont be bothered.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 PM
TonyVT
Tourer

My plans are to ride over next Friday to check out the vendors and pick up some goodies for my new FLHTK.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 PM
lfmn16
Tourer

I went about five years ago. One of the guys I rode with hit a road block where the cops were ticketing every Harley with after-market pipes. They know it costs more to fight it than to pay it. I stayed right in town, but there was a five night minimum.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Havanacigar
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh Boy...well, pipes arent too loud, but they are not stock, I wear a skull cap, have some apes that put my hands at, or just above shoulder level soo...i'm thinking maybe i should'nt go. Don't wanna be harrased by the man..LOL. Thanks for the input everyone!