Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

S. Florida to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 AM
pjciii
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the girlfriend and i are leaving lawrenceville ga early the morning of the 5th plan on makeing the west side of st louis the first day and souix falls the second. the a nice easy ride to the koa in keystone/hill city. she has and 05 nightrain and i will be on an 06 road king. been staying at the same place for years. meeting up with others there.
patrick

Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjciii
the girlfriend and i are leaving lawrenceville ga early the morning of the 5th plan on makeing the west side of st louis the first day and souix falls the second. the a nice easy ride to the koa in keystone/hill city. she has and 05 nightrain and i will be on an 06 road king. been staying at the same place for years. meeting up with others there.
patrick
Hi Patrick!
How many days do you think you make to Sturgis, and what route you will take?
I probably leave Jupiter, FL on 08/04, so I have more time on the road, and I will take I-75, then I think I-24 to I-70W to Kansas, and keep going from there.
You've said you will camp, so I am curious what kind of camping gear that you will gring for both of you, tent, camper?
Let me know, so we may ride in a group; if not, have a wonderful trip.
Nick

Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
pjciii
Cruiser

Hi Nick
we will be taking 75 to chattanooga 24 thru paduca to mt vernon then 64 to st louis 70 across and 29 up to souix falls and 90 across. we will have sleeping bags and most likely a tent but at the KOA in hill city/keystone we stay at what we lovingly call a shed with a bed. it is out of the elements and cool in the evening, been staying at the same place for years. we will most likely stay at motels up and back. thinking about best western or motel 6..i plan on 3 days, 2 long and then 1 short day(an easy ride across SD). just due to the fact it can be africa hot along the way. the girlfriend has not been riding as much so i dont want to push her to hard. i have run up to minneapolis for memorial weekend and down to panama city several times and i commute 47 miles each way to work so i am used to saddle time. we will be picking up friends around souix falls harley(at least 4 maybe more) that we have been going with for years. are you planning to take any side roads along the way.

patrick

Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pjciii
Hi Nick
we will be taking 75 to chattanooga 24 thru paduca to mt vernon then 64 to st louis 70 across and 29 up to souix falls and 90 across. we will have sleeping bags and most likely a tent but at the KOA in hill city/keystone we stay at what we lovingly call a shed with a bed. it is out of the elements and cool in the evening, been staying at the same place for years. we will most likely stay at motels up and back. thinking about best western or motel 6..i plan on 3 days, 2 long and then 1 short day(an easy ride across SD). just due to the fact it can be africa hot along the way. the girlfriend has not been riding as much so i dont want to push her to hard. i have run up to minneapolis for memorial weekend and down to panama city several times and i commute 47 miles each way to work so i am used to saddle time. we will be picking up friends around souix falls harley(at least 4 maybe more) that we have been going with for years. are you planning to take any side roads along the way.

patrick
I think that is the route that I will ride through. I hope I can tag along with you to Sturgis. I have not made a reservation at Sturgis yet, but I'd like to stay in Custer, so I will call and make a reservation soon.
This is the first time I pull a trailer, so I will stop whenever a campground comes in the right time.
Let me know, if possible I can meet up with you somewhere in GA. Of course, you don't have to. No big deal!
I have been crossing the country yearly alone for many year, so I am kind of used to with the way it is. But then, the obligation is I have to cross the country to see my parents in CA.
Have fun!
Nick

Last edited by jackhis; 07-10-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:25 AM
pjciii
Cruiser

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campsiteSearch.do
Hey nick
if you haven't made a reservation in the black hills yet check out this place. it is behind mt rushmore and always has been a nice spot that is close to all the riding anyway. dont know what you are looking for but it is a start.
patrick

Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Get ready guys and gals! 21 more days, and I have made reservation in Custer, at Big Pine Tree Campground.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:41 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

18 more days. I have a feeling that I am running out of time to prepare for this trip.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM
usturbine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting close cant wait.

Leaving Western,NY Monday 7/02 to Canton,OH

Tuesday 7/03 visit AMA Museum Pickerington,OH Overnight Celina,OH

Wednesday 7/04 meeting a Sturgis buddy in Wabash,IN overnight in Pontiac,IL.

Thursday 7/05 stop at Iron Horse Social Club Savannah,IL overnight in Dubuque,IA

Friday 7/06 travel to Albert Lea,MN. Overnight and meeting more friends from past years.

Saturday 7/07 stop at Sioux Falls H-D travel to Chamberlain,SD. overnight meeting more friends.

Sunday 7/09 travel to the Badlands, Interior, and Scenic SD. Arrive Rapid City, SD late afternoon.

Anyone welcome to join along the way

PM if interested?

Dennis

Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

GREAT!
Too bad that your trip is nothing to do with Sturgis Rally, tho.
I wish I win a lottery, and I will be on the road all year round.
Have a wonderful trip!
Nick

Old 07-21-2010, 12:03 AM
usturbine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhis
GREAT!
Too bad that your trip is nothing to do with Sturgis Rally, tho.
I wish I win a lottery, and I will be on the road all year round.
Have a wonderful trip!
Nick
Guess i dont understand?

This is my 16th straight year going to Sturgis. I usually arrive on Sunday and stay until Saturday.

This will be my only time off for the the year so i make the most of it. 61 years old and wont be able to retire for another 13 years if my health holds out. Or i Win the Lottery!!!!

Quick Reply: S. Florida to Sturgis