Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alberta to California

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:40 AM
Thunderheader
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alberta to California

I'm planning a trip from Edmonton, Alberta Canada down to California. I'll be leaving in less than a months time now, getting antsy. Any Canucks made the trip down on here that have any tips, advice etc. or Americans that have made the trip up and back? We are planning to ride to BC the all the way down the coast to San Francisco or San Diego, not too sure yet. Definately want to hit Las Vegas and Arizona on the way back.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Kruzn66
5th Gear

Just made that trip last year and doing it again this year. Take your time on the coast road and enjoy the sights. Stop in Big Sur for lunch, great place. If you are going to Arizona try and get to Sedona and Oatman. Some great riding in that area. Not sure what way you are going but post again and I can some great riding roads along the way. Enjoy the trip, ride SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Thunderheader
Advanced

Well for the way down over to BC then down the coast. For the way back, pretty much going by the seat of our pants, but as stated earlier I want to hit AZ and LV. On the way back what were your experiences? Did you hit AZ and LV? Best highways? Your individual experiences in your opinion would be greatly appreciated. How long did you set aside for the round trip? I'm planning a couple weeks. Did you hit any worthwhile HD dealerships along the way? That's something I'd like to do just for the sake of buying a t-shirt.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you going to go all the way to the coast in BC before heading south? If so, the natural thing to do is to take 99 which turns into I-5 over the border. I'd suggest taking I-5 to the WA 20 exit for Anacortes (west). Then follow WA 20 to Whidbey Island, over Deception Pass, then follow the signs on WA 20 to the Keystone ferry, which takes you to Port Townsend. Continue on WA 20 to US 101, take that west/south. That goes around the Olympic Peninsula, which is gorgeous. Lots of little side trips off 101 (Hurrican Ridge, Hoh Rainforest, any of the beaches). The ride out to Neah Bay is *beautiful*, but will take the better part of an afternoon for the there-and-back. Cool museum out there, though.

Take US 101 all the way south. It is two-lane most of the way, but it hugs the coast as much as possible and is far more scenic than I-5. Astoria in OR is worth a stop. So is Cannon Beach. Heck, the whole Oregon Coast is amazing.

Once you cross into CA, you should make time for the Redwoods National Park. Just south of the Redwoods, US 101 cuts inland a bit as it heads to San Francisco. If you venture south of SF, try to cut back over to the coast to pick up the Pacific Coast Hwy and ride along Big Sur. I'll let the California locals talk more about that leg. I haven't been down there for years.

Coming back through Las Vegas, take I-15 north into Utah. Then decide how much time you have. Southern Utah has some amazing country, and some of America's most interesting national parks. There are some great guys on this forum from the area who can give you some more specific help on Utah.

After you're done there, I-15 north to SLC and Idaho makes sense. At Idaho Falls, pick up US 26 and go east to Swan Valley. There, pick up ID 31 towards Victor. Then take ID 33 over Teton Pass (amazing ride!) into Jackson. From there, head north into Grand Teton NP on US 191. This will take you into Yellowstone NP, too.

You're from Calgary, so maybe you know your way around Montana. Or because a lot of it looks just like AB, you'll just want to take I-15 all the way up to the border. If you have questions about routes here, just ask.

Quite a trip you have planned. You'll certainly get the greatest hits of the American west.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Kruzn66
5th Gear

Have to say that Faber planned a darn good route. Depending on how much time you have there are many variations and roads that can be taken. I did not get to AZ but did stop at Las Vegas H-D. Always a good stop there. I planned 12 days for the trip and found no problem making the trip although it does not leave alot of time for sightseeing in many places. My trip was a little different and the roads taken just depend on the route you have planned. Hope you have a great trip and I can't wait for mine which will be along the lines of what you are planning. Ride Safe!!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We did Seattle to LA and back up thru Las Vegas and Utah last summer. The route Faber stated is a good one.
I would add coming into Washington at Osoyoos BC just south of Kelowna BC and heading west on HWY 20 the North Cascade HWY a great ride to the Keystone ferry PT Townsend then NW on 101 to Port Angeles south on 101 thru the Olympic NP down the coast to Astoria Oregon .
Be sure to get off 101 in the Redwoods and take the Avenue of the Giants. Its a road that is just of the 101 but you are in cathedral of big redwoods it is well worth it.
The highlight of our trip was coming back thru Utah’s Zion and Bryce Canyon you have to see it, it is another world . From Bryce Canyon take HWY 12 to Torrey UT a great road it is one of my all time favorites. As far as dealerships there is one just outside of St George UT called Zion HD they were good they help my son with a electrical problem he was having with his bike no charge.
A link to a website about HWY12 http://www.utah.com/byways/highway_12.htm

Last edited by skydrifter; 05-28-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skydrifter
We did Seattle to LA and back up thru Las Vegas and Utah last summer. The route Faber stated is a good one.
I would add coming into Washington at Osoyoos BC just south of Kelowna BC and heading west on HWY 20 the North Cascade HWY a great ride to the Keystone ferry PT Townsend then NW on 101 to Port Angeles south on 101 thru the Olympic NP down the coast to Astoria Oregon .
Be sure to get off 101 in the Redwoods and take the Avenue of the Giants. Its a road that is just of the 101 but you are in cathedral of big redwoods it is well worth it.
The highlight of our trip was coming back thru Utah’s Zion and Bryce Canyon you have to see it, it is another world . From Bryce Canyon take HWY 12 to Torrey UT a great road it is one of my all time favorites. As far as dealerships there is one just outside of St George UT called Zion HD they were good they help my son with a electrical problem he was having with his bike no charge.
A link to a website about HWY12 http://www.utah.com/byways/highway_12.htm
WA 20 is one of the best rides in a state just so full of great rides. Good suggestion, and then the OP would avoid all the 'burbs and traffic around Vancouver.

Man, do I miss it out there....

Old 05-07-2011, 05:16 PM
CanadianViking
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

great information here, I am planning a very similar trip from Calgary - leaving in June and can't wait to get on the road!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:37 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Leave plenty of time and have plenty of patience if you're riding along the coast. It can be slow going.
If you've never done a ride like this do some research because there are so many out of the way roads to be discovered, roads you swear were designed for motorcycles.
Try looking through this website: www.usamotorcycleroads.com

Old 05-08-2011, 11:43 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Or motorcycleroads.com

Quick Reply: Alberta to California