Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alberta to California

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 PM
CanadianViking
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

don't mean to hijack this thread but since my ride is similar I thought it would be good to keep the information together (plus there is already great information in this thread).

This is the proposed route for my upcoming ride, leaving Calgary on June 10th, need to be in Las Vegas on June 17th, then back in Calgary for June 24th. 14 days in total, 11 days riding and 3 days in Vegas.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/395869

Ignore the stops, it was a necessity of the mapping software. I would appreciate feedback on the proposed route, and any suggestions for revisions or places to stay/overnight.

As you can see, the route will take us through Death Valley in mid June (15th or 16th). I've talked to many people about this section of the ride, many have said its crazy to do Death Valley at this time of year, many others have said its fine, just ride early in the day. Any comments on that section of the ride?

I really appreciate feedback on the route, this will be my first time riding in this area so without experience of my own I am hoping to hear from others who have ridden the areas before.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Kruzn66
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ridden almost the exact ride for the last two years both in July and August. If you can tolerate temps from 100-106 it should be no problem. If you can get an early start it does help. On thing I can tell you is you will have a great ride and see some great scenery on the route that you have chosen. Have a super ride!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Gordon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did some of this in May 2010, as my first long trip. My first day was from Vancouver down the I-5 to Kelso, Washington, then west on the 4 to connect with US 101. I followed the 101 down the Oregon coast stopping in Newport the first night, and into California to Leggett, then CA 1 the rest of the way to Los Angeles, with stops in Eureka and Santa Cruz. I understand from other threads that CA1 may be currently closed in places due to washouts.

I did some day trips around LA (the coast road from Oxnard down to Dana Point, the Ortega Highway most of the way to Lake Elsinor, until it was blocked by motorcycle accidents, etc. Unfortunately, the Angeles Crest Highway was still closed due to major washouts), then the freeway to Las Vegas. If you are into staying downtown in Vegas, the Main Street Station has convenient motorcycle parking and a good brew pub. Join the B-Connected Club on-line, and get a break on room rates.

Coming back, I rode through Death Valley, and up US 395 from Lone Pine. DV was not too hot for my trip, but I did hit wind/sandstorms that made me glad for my fairing and windshield!

I had hoped to take the Tioga Pass through Yosemite, but it was still closed for the winter at the end of May. In fact, I had to go all the way up to Lake Tahoe to find an open route west across the Sierra Nevadas, and coming through the Tahoe area, I had snow melting off the tree branches and dropping onto my helmet!!

I had also hoped to ride several of the mountain passes, and see Lassen Volcanic NP, Crater Lake in Oregon, etc., but most of the roads I wanted to do were still closed for snow by the Memorial Day weekend last year. (I'm going down again this September to try to catch those sights, then back through southern Utah, Moab, Salt Lake City, Boise, and Yakima.)

If you have any questions that I'm likely to be able to answer based on the above route, please ask.

Cheers,
Gordon

Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM
CanadianViking
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

returned from my trip on Saturday, an amazing two week trip. Did 6300kms in 9 days of riding (didn't do any riding while in Las Vegas, and my *** was glad for the break!).

Here are some photos from the trip:

http://gallery.me.com/hansen.thomas#100315

My only regret was not having the time to hit Bryce Canyon NP, but that gives me a reason to go back.

Big thanks to everyone for their route suggestions and area information!