Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip to Montana?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 PM
sinanimal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to Montana?

Hello Everyone,

A buddy and I will be traveling from northern california up to montana, were taking Highway 5 up to Oregon, hitting 84, and then connecting to the 395 to 90 all the way into Montana.

Any advise for those roads, it's both of ours first long trip, and have never traveled near those highways. By the way it will be late July and Early August we will be traveling. Anything to look out for?

Thanks

Last edited by sinanimal; 05-12-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

My advise would be to post a little more information about your trip, and then watch for Faber's response. He always provides very helpful information for folks headed to the Treasure State, but your need to give him something to work with.

Since you're taking 90, I'll assume you're headed to Missoula, but do you have any other destinations in mind for Montana? How many days are you planning to stay? Are there any places you already have in mind as "must sees"?

Is there any particular reason you're planning to stay on the interstate the whole way? Are you limited for time, or do you have other requirements to visit certain places along that route?

I've never traveled I-90 much west of Missoula, but although I bet it's among the more scenic interstates, you're passing up a really nice road if you don't take Hwy 12. From Kooksia, ID to Lolo, MT that road is just spectacular. I would seriously consider picking up 730 where it intersects with I-84 and staying on 730 to 12.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
My advise would be to post a little more information about your trip, and then watch for Faber's response. He always provides very helpful information for folks headed to the Treasure State, but your need to give him something to work with.

Since you're taking 90, I'll assume you're headed to Missoula, but do you have any other destinations in mind for Montana? How many days are you planning to stay? Are there any places you already have in mind as "must sees"?

Is there any particular reason you're planning to stay on the interstate the whole way? Are you limited for time, or do you have other requirements to visit certain places along that route?

I've never traveled I-90 much west of Missoula, but although I bet it's among the more scenic interstates, you're passing up a really nice road if you don't take Hwy 12. From Kooksia, ID to Lolo, MT that road is just spectacular. I would seriously consider picking up 730 where it intersects with I-84 and staying on 730 to 12.
I 90 west of Missoula MT is scenic as far interstate HWY go. But like AtticusFinch said I would take HWY 12 Lolo Pass from Lewiston ID to Lolo MT.
From I -5 you can follow Columbia and Snake rivers to Lewiston then hit HWY 12 east to Lolo Pass its a great ride.
You may also want to get off I-5 at Weed CA or Ashland OR and hit 97 north through central OR and hit Crater Lake and Bend then I -84 east along the Columbia to Lewiston Id then east on 12.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Definately go up US 97 to the Columbia River. Look at a map, but you hit US 12 at the Columbia river, north of I84 before you get to Boardman OR. US 12 will take you to Lewiston, and to Lolo Pass.

I am taking this trip (from Portland OR) in late June.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How much time do you want to spend here?

Where are you entering Montana?

Where are you headed?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Hog Heaven
Tourer

Just a suggestion if you don't have to travel on the interstates. After you leave Cali on I-5, "diagonal" your way across Oregon passing Crater Lake. 97 to 26 to Mt. Vernon. Then north on 395, east on 244 to LaGrande. Take 82 to Enterprise, then north on 3. Some good twisty roads in there as well as mountains (it will be cooler) and the 3 into Lewiston, ID/Clarkston, WA has a tight twisty "old school" grade called rattlesnake grade that is a can't miss.

Once into Lewiston, take the 12 to Lolo as the other guys have suggested. Of course, all this depends on how much time you have. Not saying that you won't enjoy the roads you've mentioned, but I can speak for 395 into Washington and that road is flat and kinda boring in my opinion. Oh yea, it's going to be HOT at that time of the year once you get out of the mountains. Might want to check with departments of transportation as well, always seems like there is some road construction going on somewhere.

Last edited by Hog Heaven; 05-16-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM
HDBagger93
Cruiser

Being from Oregon I can only say stay off of I5. There are many other beautiful roads. Hog Heaven's trip plan looks good, I have done that. The 3N out of Joseph is empty midweek. The road seems to go forever twisting and turning the view is impressive. You wind down to the Grand Ronde River then twist your way uo the other side of the canyon. The Lolo pass is awesome and if you plan your trip to spend the night in Orifino, ID the Konkolville Motel is very biker friendly. They provide all the cleaning supplies to wash your bike. I never was mine on the road because I do not like to be confused with some who trailers their bike. They also will provide you with a steak that you can BBQ to your liking and they give you a baked potato and salad for ~$15. There is a hot tub and a pool also.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 PM
sinanimal
1st Gear

Originally Posted by faber
How much time do you want to spend here?

Where are you entering Montana?

Where are you headed?

We have two weeks. Our plan was to enter Montana through Spokane, and head to helena where some of my friends family live, and stay there for about 4 days. On our way back we are looking to go through yellowstone and the grand tetons. On our way back we'll look to connect to highway 80 back to Northern California. All in two weeks.

Last edited by sinanimal; 05-18-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sinanimal
We have two weeks. Our plan was to enter Montana through Spokane, and head to helena where some of my friends family live. On our way back we are looking to go through yellowstone and the grand tetons.
Two weeks in Montana? That's a lot, even for me, and I live here. If you have two weeks just for MT, I'd suggest heading up to Alberta, at least to Banff/Lake Louise.

So, from Spokane, here's what I'd suggest....

--I-90 east into Idaho. At Coeur d'Alene, take US 95 north. At Sandpoint, it will turn into US 2. (You will be on this road a lot.) Take US 2 all the way to Whitefish (well, it gets you to within 5 miles of Whitefish--follow the signs). Spend the night, fun town. If you want more riding in that day, take MT 37 at Libby up along the lake until you hit US 93, then back into Whitefish.

--next day, do Glacier NP. If you want to work a few days in Alberta, then head north on US 89 when you exit GNP. Take the split off to MT 17 and go towards Waterton Glacier NP (the Canadian side of GNP). That road turns into Rt 6 in Alberta. Take that to Rt 3, go west for a bit and pick up Rt 22 north. That gets you into the mountains quicker. There is a road that splits off called _____ Trail (can't remember) that is *really* scenic and takes you into Canmore. Banff is just down the road from Canmore. Spend the night there. Or push on to Lake Louise. Both are gorgeous spots.

--(If you really want, take Rt 93 all the way up to Jasper. )

--Coming back from Banff, I just take the TC 1 into Calgary and Rt 2 all the way down to Montana. It will turn into US 89. Take that to US 2 and head west. Stop at the Goat Lick on US 2 on the southern edge of GNP. At Kalispell, head south on US 93 into the Flathead Valley and around Flathead Lake. *Very* scenic ride through here. Spend the night in WHitefish, Kalispell, or Lakeside (good brewpub in Lakeside).

--Continue south on US 93 through the Flathead Valley. Enjoy the views of the Mission Mountains on your left as you get past Polson, on the Flathead Res. US 93 will take you into Missoula (HD dealer there, if you stop at those). Missoula is a fun town with lots of cool places to eat. So eat. But then continue south on US 93 into the Bitterroot. I'd suggest spending the night in Hamilton (another great brewpub).

--Continue south on US 93 deeper into the Bitterroot. At Lost Trail Pass, on the Idaho border (and the Continental Divide), head east on MT 43 towards Wisdom. Check out the Big Hole Battlefield. Once you hit that, you are in the Big Hole. Nice riding through here. Tourists seldom make it into this part of Montana, unless they are fly fishermen. At Wisdom, take a pic of the sign at Conover's, then head north into the Big Hole along MT 43. At Wise River, take the road south into the Pioneer Mountains. Awesome ride. Stop and dig up some gems, if you want (you'll see). Then you come out on MT 278 on the other end of the Big Hole. Take the side trip to Bannack, a ghost town and Montana's first territorial capital. Continue to I-15, head north a couple of miles until you hit Dillon. If you're tired, Dillon is a decent place to spend the night. If not, push on to Ennis.

--From Dillon, take MT 41 to Twin Bridges, stop along the way to check out the Beaverhead (Lewis & Clark site). At Twin Bridges, take MT 287 to Alder Gulch and Virginia City. Virginia City is a "restored" ghost town. Lots of hitory here. Google it. Fun place to get a bite. Then head down to Ennis, in the Madison Valley. Ennis is a good place to spend the night and get a good steak dinner.

--From Ennis, take US 287 south towards West Yellowstone. Nice ride along Quake Lake and Lake Hebgen. Enter Yellowstone National Park at West Yellowstone. At Madison Junction, head south towards Old Faithful. Don;t stop at anything yet, except Old Faithful. Then work back up, stopping at Mid Geyser Basin and whatever else looks cool. Continue through Madison Jct, see Norris Geyser Basin, Mammoth Hot Springs, and exit the Park at Gardiner. Take US 89 north into Paradise Valley. Another classic ride. Spend the night at Chico Hot Springs, if you can. *Awesome* place to eat, soak, and drink Or press on to Livingston. Some great steakhouses in Livingston, too.

--If you like high plains riding, you can take US 89 north out of Livingston towards White Sulphur Springs over the mountains and pick up US 87 east to Lewistown. Tourists never get up here. This is real small town Montana. You'll see lots of antelope and the occasional nuclear missile silo. From Lewistown, head south US 191 to Big Timber (where Tom Brokaw lives) and pick up I-90 east. Get off at Columbus and take MT 78 to Absarokee (****. "ab-ZOR-kee") and to US 212, which you take south (right) into Red Lodge. This is a fun little town. Great local brewery and many good restaurants and a real fun bar (Snow Creek Saloon). Spend the night.

EDIT: forgot you needed to go to Helena. So on US 89, just south of WHite Sulphur, take US 12 west to Townshend, then US 287 north. Takes you right into Helena. WHen leaving Helena, take I-15 north along the Missouri River through the Big Belt MOuntains, to Great Falls (maybe see the Sip-N-Dip, the last mermaid bar in the west--google it). Then take US 87 south/east
to Lewistown. Continue as above.

--Next day, do the Beartooth Hwy all the way to Cooke City, re-enter YNP (your ticket is still good--save it). Go through the Lamar Valley, and head south at Tower Junction towards Canyon. Stop at all the views. Continue south through the Hayden Valley, ride around Yellowstone Lake towards West Thumb. See the small but unusual geyser basin. Then head south towards Grand Teton NP. If you can, I strongly recommend staying in one of the GTNP lodges, for the amazing views. I took my wife to the Jackson Lake Lodge for our anniversary. We loved it. But, we also camp at the first campground on the northern end of the lake. Forget name, but nice.

--You might as well go into Jackson and spend lots of money for the privilege. No, you won't see any of the movie stars. Han Solo never comes to town. Take WY 22 over Teton Pass (an amazing ride) back into Idaho. You can pick up US 26 and go to Craters of the Moon. And then just work back west however you need.

Of course, if you fish, double the times above. Lots of seriously good trout fishing all along that route.

Ask if you have any questions.

Last edited by faber; 05-18-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:58 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

So many areas to experience in Montana. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Trip to Montana?