Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Rolling Thunder

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 PM
scatpac1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rolling Thunder

Allright Gals, Guys, taking my Son to Rolling Thunder, first time for both of us. Just a father son trip and would like to show him what our country is all about and Honor those who have left all on the battle field over the years. Of course I am looking foward to the ride with Jr. I think he will be impressed, any pointers from anyone would be great.. thx to all in advance.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
16VAFXDL
Road Captain

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Having ridden in quite a few Rolling Thunders, I would suggest that the experience is more enjoyable if you go downtown before the parade and watch. But if you are absolutely set on it, the parade is great to experience from that view at least once. But it can be hard on bike and rider. Our crew usually rides into town around 9 or 9:30, checks out all the vendors, take a silent walk through the Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial, and Korean Memorial, and then find a nice shady spot along the route to watch the bike parade go by.

If you get in by Friday, I would also recommend a trip over to HD of Washington in Fort Washington, MD. It is a HOG pin stop and the official host location for Rolling Thunder. When you are heading up this way, PM me. I will shoot you my phone number if you have any other questions.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 PM
scatpac1
Cruiser

Thx A bunch, ABNRanger.. Ill do that...

Old 05-11-2010, 06:18 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

I do the parade watching bit too. We will leave here, Delaware, about 8am. That should put us into downtown DC between 10 and 10:30. Like ABNRanger, I like to find a shady spot, preferably either right on the street curb or up on a wall behind the sidewalk. Be prepared for people to get in front of you and your view otherwise.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:22 PM
subdriver324
Novice
Default Rolling thunder xxiii

I can see from the previous posters that they enjoy the moment - but want to experience it from the sidelines. That is all well and good...I guess? Washington, DC, is a very patriotic town! Personally, I enjoy the ride. The feeling when you come across the Memorial Bridge is AWESOME!!! So many folks... It is just downright amazing!!! The folks love to "press the flesh" ~~ be prepared for many handslaps.
I hope you have decent accomodations? We are out in Tyson's Corner and will depart for the Pentagon at about 7am. That should put us somewhere in the back half of the pack? Usually takes about 4 hours to empty the Pentagon North parking lot. The MPs do a wonderful job with traffic direction.
Our folding beach chairs strap onto the sissy bar and the cooler straps on the luggage rack. Hats, raingear, smokes, sunscreen,...,etc go the saddlebags. Some folks truly look like "THE BEVERLY HILLBILLYs" on Harleys! I always leave room for my POW/MIA and American flags...least we forget why we do this.
I drove submarines for 20 years during the Cold War and I know I have earned my option to ride. We [me and the bride...] will do Thunder Alley and quite time at The Wall on Saturday evening. I am the bearded guy on the black Harley. She is bow-legged and wearing earplugs...
Really, the best advice to plan, review the plan, and then plan some more. There are plenty of Porta Potties and they get just any other outdoor toilet on a hot day! Hope this helps ~~ if ya need anything else, just shoot me a note!
Ride safe...

Last edited by subdriver324; 05-14-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:06 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Subdriver: PLEASE, turn off the caps. Unless, of course, you are shouting at us. As for standing on the sides and watching, which you guess is alright, please permit me one question. Who do you suppose those glad handing folks, you mentioned, happen to be? That's right, it's us. The us that would prefer to watch the parade. I have been in the parade. I just prefer to watch. You might want to try it. Gives one a whole new perspective on the entire event.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:47 PM
subdriver324
Novice
Default Caps?

Sorry pbsdaddy...didn't realize i was tweakin your tail. I capitalized awesome because it is truly a sight ~~ coming across that bridge. I capitalized the name of the television show because it is proper. Same goes for the Military Police [dayum - I used caps again...]! Oh well...feel free to jump my *** again - after doing 20 years in the Submarine Service, the rest of this stuff is a piece of cake!
Lighten up dude...life is short enough already!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:32 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Actually, I meant the bold type. I'm the last person to critique anyone's punctuation. And, obviously, I can make a mistake or two too.
Trust me, little bothers me enough to get too excited. Enjoy the parade. My hand will be the one with the smile of the end of it.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:09 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

If you are going all the way from Mississippi it would be a waste to not do the ride. I have don it 3 times, I recommend being at the Pentagon Parking lot no later than 8am otherwise you will be so far back in line you ont get out until after 3pm. It is a long wait in the parking lot, but probably the biggest bike show you will ever see. Be prepared for heat! I have taken both my son and daughter, great experiences both times that they will never forget.
For the travel, make sure they bring an Ipod, it keeps them entertained during long periods on the bike. Lots of water, again it will be hot and many people dehydrate, they Christian Motorcycle Association usually has a big water truck to help keep people hydrated at the Pentagon.

Here are some pictures from the last one I went to in 2008.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:32 AM
dude2007
Stage II

when is the rolling thunder ride.

Quick Reply: Rolling Thunder