Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

DFW to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:16 PM
HarleyHauler
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your work schedule precludes you from riding it there, but you at least get there, ride it around Sturgis and take in all the sights...at least you made Sturgis!!! Granted, better to ride IF you can....some people just can't take the extra time.....

Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 PM
rellikdnert
Intermediate

To me, if you didn't ride there then you didn't do it right. If I'm ever afforded the opportunity to go, I don't care if I live in Key West, I'm riding. It's one thing to trailer your bike if you're moving across the country, but it's something different to trailer it to the mother of all motorcycle rallies. That being said, I do agree with the dude from Vegas trailering to WA, I wouldn't want to ride through the middle of nowhere and have something happen to my sled and have to wait God knows how long for help to get to me.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:39 PM
brak4222
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rellikdnert
To me, if you didn't ride there then you didn't do it right. If I'm ever afforded the opportunity to go, I don't care if I live in Key West, I'm riding. It's one thing to trailer your bike if you're moving across the country, but it's something different to trailer it to the mother of all motorcycle rallies. That being said, I do agree with the dude from Vegas trailering to WA, I wouldn't want to ride through the middle of nowhere and have something happen to my sled and have to wait God knows how long for help to get to me.
Thanks for the words.

I can't wait for the 900 mile ride in, the 100's of miles riding during the week, and the 900 mile ride back. I hope everyone reading this that goes has a fun and safe trip all week. Only 2 weeks left....

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 AM
williams8899
Banned

I are riding out to Sturgis this year for the first time. We have an 07 Heritage and live in the Raleigh NC area. It should be a little over 1700 miles out there. Half the fun is the ride there and back.

-------------------------------------------------
Electronic Cigarette
E Cigarette

Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what the attraction of these rallies is.

I would love a long trip, but would rather go someplace without tons of people and traffic jams.

I know people who have done it, and liked it, and had fun, but it seems to me like it would be more fun to spend the time riding great roads that are not all jammed up, to places where there are camping sites (or rooms) open and at lower cost.

Seems to me, the best time to 'do' Sturgis would be a week after its over....

I was there, from New Jersey, but a month before the big event...

Brett

Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

Originally Posted by Brett001
Not sure what the attraction of these rallies is.

I would love a long trip, but would rather go someplace without tons of people and traffic jams.

I know people who have done it, and liked it, and had fun, but it seems to me like it would be more fun to spend the time riding great roads that are not all jammed up, to places where there are camping sites (or rooms) open and at lower cost.

Seems to me, the best time to 'do' Sturgis would be a week after its over....

I was there, from New Jersey, but a month before the big event...

Brett
If you like Harley's and all the entertainment that goes with it, whats the problem with Sturgis. We go there because of like minded people and we are all in it togehter. I go there to see the new 2011 Harley's, wander around and look at all the different bikes, the characters that roam the streets. Too me it is "Showtime". We go because we enjoy the ride to Sturgis and we have the funds to do it, whether we stay in Motels, a camper or tent camping. It is all part of the adventure/experience. I alway see riders leaving Sturgis before the Rally begins. I have even arrived early so I could ride to all the normal tourist sights with less traffic and I have left Sturgis in the middle of it. When I get my fill of Sturgis I just mount up and do the ride, kind of like changing the channel if I don't want to watch it.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:00 PM
brak4222
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyHauler
If your work schedule precludes you from riding it there, but you at least get there, ride it around Sturgis and take in all the sights...at least you made Sturgis!!! Granted, better to ride IF you can....some people just can't take the extra time.....

Just to clarify, I am riding to Sturgis. It's just that I'm riding from Spokane, WA, not Las Vegas, NV.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Sniper318
Cruiser

I'm riding up from Dallas...meeting a freind in Peublo Colorado, then to Sturgis...My first trip. taking my tent, a pocket full of money, tire repar kit. All Ive heard is the ride there is all the fun. I'm all over that

Old 07-29-2010, 07:58 PM
krom nutz
Advanced

Im leaving from the West of DFW heading out 287 turning North at Childress and working my way over to 385N all the way up. Never been that way or even to Sturgis at all, but i like the back roads. google maps gives close to this route from Weatherford. May leave on the 2nd and ride as far as I can. Hoping to make 600 mi. with 400 the second day.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:24 PM
jman2122
Intermediate
Default Your trip

I suggest you do what you want we all big boys here.

Originally Posted by brak4222
No it doesn't come down to that, but thanks...

First, I'm used to taking my truck for many hours on end, even overnight to get to my destination. I can get to Spokane overnight from Vegas in the truck as I take a much quicker path (but through miles of nothing). If I wanted to be SAFE on the bike (keep in mind I'm riding alone), I'd take a more populated path which ADDS hours to my trip. I definitely don't want to be stranded with a flat tire or engine issue overnight in the desert over 50 miles away from civilization. If I could ride with others, that would be different. I'd rather get to WA sooner and ride more hours on the north end of the country. Also, I will have 2 other riders with me once I get to WA.

Second, I like to drink beer after a day of riding. I can enjoy 10 hours of riding and still have time to enjoy a few beers afterward. I never ride after drinking as that is just plain wrong. If I get to WA sooner, I can begin that schedule sooner.

Quick Reply: DFW to Sturgis