Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Yellowstone Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
FLHTC752
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellowstone Help

I'm planing a cross country trip and I'm starting to worry about the trip around yellowstone. I'll be coming off the west coast and will be pulling into Yellowstone via the tetons around May 30 and leaving June 1. Ive got a few questions.

1. What kind of weather should I expect? (I know cold)

2. Is everything going to be snow covered?

3. What are road conditions and closures?

4. What is the overall experience this time of year?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:00 PM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the weather, and be prepared for down time. It could be great, or it could rain and snow. No way of telling. I would definitely be prepared for anything.
Have fun, budget enough time and it will be great

here is some info with last yrs temps at that time and averages
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...tename=Wyoming

Old 05-04-2010, 08:29 PM
FLHTC752
Intermediate

Thanks for the link. That weather would be great. I can do cold but I hope for no snow. This is the only area of the whole trip that concerns me.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

That's also Memorial Day weekend. It might get a little crowded.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:22 AM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

Memorial Day WILL be crowded, plan on some extra time getting through the park.

Weather will be hit an miss, it always is. One day snow, one day clear, one day rain, usually how it goes. Prepare for everything.

Plan on slow moving traffic allowing for plenty of stops for photo opportunities of the wildlife.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:30 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden through Yellowstone several times. On the way to Sturgis, after Sturgis but never that early in the season. One thing always prevails, the tourista that feel compelled to slam on the brakes every time they see any critter that might present a photo opportunity. They are NOT looking out for you so you have to look out for them.

Some of the best wildlife I have seen there has been immediately before or right after all the cars are stopped in the middle of the road!!! Once a few folks start looking, all of them do and most of them end up missing golden opportunities because they're following the herd instead of heading out on their own!

Even in August the morning temperatures were really low, but I LOVE putting on the leathers and riding with that crisp air on my face...that's just how I roll!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTC752
I'm planing a cross country trip and I'm starting to worry about the trip around yellowstone. I'll be coming off the west coast and will be pulling into Yellowstone via the tetons around May 30 and leaving June 1. Ive got a few questions.

1. What kind of weather should I expect? (I know cold)
not really, but variable, changing every 20 minutes. colder at elevation, of course.

2. Is everything going to be snow covered?
No, but you will see patches of snow. You will see snow at higher elevations. If you do the Beartooth Hwy (which will be open just in time for Memorial Day weekend), you will be riding next to an 8' scarp of snow, but the road will be fine.

Be wary when you are riding around the Divide. (The road in Yellowstone from West Thumb to Old Faithful crosses the Divide three times.) When you're messing around near the Divide, chances of snow are higher, while it might be rain 2 miles down the road.

Of course, I got 3" of snow this morning, and expecting 2" more tonight. And I don't live at high elevation (~5000')

3. What are road conditions and closures?
All roads will be fine, and open. If you are really concerned, check the Montana Department of Transportation website. Excellent resource that is updated hourly, and has webcam pics.

But if you have any moisture during the day, I would make sure to be off the road by 7:30pm (approx 1 hour before sunset). If the weather changes, and it will, the temp will drop and the wind will pick up and give you black ice. Not to mention that animals in the spring are still at lower elevations and tend to be more active around then.

4. What is the overall experience this time of year?
Spring in the northern Rockies? Beautiful. You'll see lots of baby animals, especially in Yellowstone. The greens on the mountainsides are the most intense that time of year. Crowds in the Park are still a fraction of what they will be in June. I always say that spring and autumn are the best seasons in the mountains.

And if you're a fly fisherman.....well, the spring hatches are the best!

Just dress in layers and be prepared to add/shed as needed. Worry more about rain than snow. Bring a good rain suit, some good gloves, and you'll be fine.

Ask, if you have any other questions.

Last edited by faber; 05-07-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:37 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Road construction is always a problem...came in the east entrance from Cody and delays were long even at 7:30 in the morning.

This site gives you construction delay times as well as location...even a hotline to call. As well as lots of other info including maps......

http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 AM
FLHTC752
Intermediate

Originally Posted by faber
Ask, if you have any other questions.
You covered it to a "T". Thanks I was starting to plan a possible change in route but not now. One more week and I'm OFF!!!!!

Old 05-08-2010, 12:33 PM
LongHaul
Stage II

There's good advice in this thread. Here's my two cents:

Watch your elevation. If it rained in Yellowstone, it snowed/sleeted in the higher elevations. If you're on Beartooth, prepare for 11,000+ ft of elevation, and top off your tank before getting on; the wilder parts of the road have no gas stations, are narrow and have almost no shoulder. Watch for cattle. If I remember correctly, some of Beartooth (HWY 212) is a free-range area.

Don't get sunburned: at higher elevations the UV radiation is intense.

Quick Reply: Yellowstone Help