Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Long Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM
BTIGGES
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Long Roadtrip

So here is the deal... i have a ride from iowa to colorado planned with a group of people this summer... this will be my first long road trip i have ever taken on a bike and want some advice on what to carry and not to... also as many tips as i can get would be helpful.... no information to be omitted please... i have done research and understand some of the basics but the more information the better... and lets be honest... you can read as many articles as you want, but the best info comes from friends as ppl that have been there... so i am asking U.. my forum friends to help my ignorant A$$ out...im sure there is other threads like this one started already and i apologize in advance but i need this help...

Thanks

Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Timmy-bob
Cruiser

Sunscreen... you might forget deoderant and smell bad but you forget this and it can make the trip miserable.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 AM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Need just a little more info.Camping or motel's?How many and,who's done it before?You and,your lady or solo?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 AM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

Here's a little trick I use to pack lighter: Go to Target and buy a 3-pack of Hanes white t-shirts (or another color of your choice). Wear it on the road til it starts to get funky. Take it off, clean the bike, throw it out, take a shower (not necessary) and put on a clean shirt. Repeat as needed.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:27 AM
BTIGGES
Novice

there is going to be 5 bikes total... everyone will have a passenger... i will have my lady as well.... we will be going to the estes park and vail areas.... we wont be camping... we will stay in motels most of the time with an exception to a friends house one night or 2.... i think most of them have done this before with the exception of me and one other person.... hope this helps

Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 PM
WideBoy04
Cruiser

Bike and setup?

Jim

Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

some ideas and tips I've picked up over the years
-sun screen and lip balm
-pack clothes for 4 days 2 jeans 4 underclothes and t shirts. then every 3rd or forth day wash them at the motel, or laundry mat only takes an hour. Thats for an extended trip nine days or longer. If shorter in general what ever you need take half and wash.Clothes is whats hard in the beginning always over packed at first.
- the under armor or ld comfort underwear shorts really work and worth it in comfort.
- try to get everything you need to take off the bike everyday in your tbag save the saddlebags for odds and ends, tools, rain suit, leathers, Jacket,walking shoes, new HD t shirts and sovineers (SP)
- be comfortable with the group your riding with, don't let ego push you. Always know where your heading for the day so your don't do something stupid because you have to keep up or your lost. " Gee I think I can beat that yellow light"
-When bedding down for the night if its in a larger city go to the other side so your heading out in the morning instead of heading into it. Rush hour traffic won't be as big of an issue. Hope a few of the tips help you out. ride safe have fun

Last edited by bruce sg08; 04-28-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:19 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never done a trip two-up so you're entering some territory that I'm not familiar with. I know that I have the capacity to fill every crevice on the bike when I'm just packing for me so it would be interesting with your lady along!

I know that for me, I always over pack on socks and dry clothes. I've been rained on plenty of times. I've spent a full day where it seemed like all I did was pull over to gear up for the rain then pull over and gear back down because it was too hot with all the rain gear on...tough to make progress sometimes but tough to ride miserable because you're either overdressed or getting soaked to the bone. If you're from Iowa then you know how the midwest can be!!!

I've been riding when I thought the rain wouldn't last or wouldn't be so heavy that I couldn't roll through with leathers only, then found myself in rain and hail so heavy that I couldn't see, had to pull under an underpass and I was sure as hell proud that I had some dry gear to put on!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On an added note, I always have my tool kit and a can of fix-a-flat in one saddlebag and weather gear in the other. I carry a general purpose tool kit that fits almost everything that is immediately needed on the bike. Let's face it, if you need a socket for your axle bolt on the road, you might have more serious issues than you will be in a position to deal with at a rest stop.

However, I have been at a rest stop leaning over my seat tightening the exhaust header nuts at about 1/16 of a turn, flipping the wrench, another 1/16 just to get me to the next stop to do some more permanent repairs. I've also had to pull my horn, tie off wires, remove the air compressor and was glad to have had the tools necessary to pull that off on the side of I-15 in somewhere, Utah.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:10 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure there will be push back from other members on this but....

Forget the tools and make sure your road side assistance membership is paid up. If this were the 70s or 80s I would not make this statement because we HAD to carry tools in that day. But I can't remember the last time I had a mechanical problem that could be remedied along side of the road. HD quality and dependability has really improved over the years. If you must carry tools, split them up amongst your group. Each of you decide ahead of time what the other person will bring. This goes for other 'must have ' items (read: wife needs). Have to pack a hair drier? Only one or two bikes should take one and have the ladies share. I hate doing laundry. If you are going to stay at a friends and this stay is in the middle of your trip, send a UPS package to them with clean clothes so they are there when you arrive and then send another one back to your house with the dirty clothes (and any trinkets you've picked up along the way). If shipping clothes is not an option, do minimal laundry and take along your rat underwear, t-shirts and socks to throw away as they get dirty then buy some new along the way.

That's my minimalist approach

Quick Reply: First Long Roadtrip