Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Long Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife and I have been doing month long rides twice a year for many years now...we had a Fatboy but have an Ultra now. We carry a small roll bag on the tour pac to carry in to hotels along with our hard bag inserts......we still have lots of room but then again my wife doesn't pack make up, a hairdryer or anything like that.

-take laundry detergent...small jug or buy at hotel...most have laundry facilities.
-under armor like others have suggested can be hand washed, hung up for the night and ready to wear in the morning
-Underarmor cold wear is light(packs small) but warm and you won't have to carry a sweater.
-1 extra pair of jeans, 3 or 4 shirts, couple pair of socks, underwear and a small shaving kit.
-rain gear, extra pair of gloves and a small tool kit..........if you need anything else buy it....but you will find the more you travel, the less you take.

We keep it simple. My clothes in the right hard bag, the wifes in the left, rain gear and tool in the tour pack and electronics in the roll bag.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Glad to see you've got the Sundowner seat. On a long trip you'll find few of the things you pack matter nearly as much as what you do to ensure the bike is comfortable while you're riding. I echo what's been said about rain gear. Also, I've been glad to have gaiters that cover my whole boot and keep my feet dry. They also keep the rain from running up your pant leg.

Another thing you'll want to be sure of in case of rain is that you've got adequate eye protection. If you're wearing sunglasses, even behind a windshield that rain will sneak in and pelt your eyes. I prefer a half helmet and usually just wear sunglasses, but for the rain you need either a full face shield or goggles that will keep the rain out and not fog up.

If you're dry and can see, riding in the rain can actually be quite enjoyable (as long as you SLOW DOWN).

I can't tell from your picture whether you've got highway pegs on your bike, but I would recommend them. Also, for your wife I would strongly consider getting passenger footboards in place of the pegs. I don't see where you've said whether you're going with a tour pak or a luggage rack and T-bag. If you're going with the luggage rack, get a wide comfortable backrest.

+1 on suggestion to try a 100 miler with your wife first. If your butts are burning even with the under armour and sundowner seat, consider trying out a bead rider seat cover. I've heard very good things about them. I haven't tried mine yet, partly because the combination of lycra underwear and a sundowner seat enables me to ride long days without butt discomfort.

+1 on the tools, assuming somebody in the group knows how to use them.

Warm gloves. Rode through Yellowstone in July, it got later than we expected. My hands were freezing. Everything else was bearable but freezing hands are not only uncomfortable, they're dangerous.

Have fun!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:57 AM
BTIGGES
Novice

ok my setup on my bike will be a 2009 street glide... i have added a wide backrest and sissy bar... a 10 inch windshield... a sun downer seat... highway pegs for me.... a luggage rack... and i have a kuryakyn gran tailgater bag to but on the rack.... i have looked into foot boards for her just havent gotten them on yet

Old 04-29-2010, 12:15 PM
WideBoy04
Cruiser

Get some long hair sheepskin and make a couple
butt pads or one big cover. Your wife will love me
for it.

Jim

Old 04-29-2010, 12:33 PM
pons
4th Gear
Smile

Your getting a lot of excellent advice for sure. I just want to suggest that you look at the IBA guidelines for long distance riders. I've done some LDR in my day and have found this guideline very helpful. Granted your not going out to do 5k miles in 5 days but this guide is helpful when I just go flower sniffing as well.

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
@jmcollison -- what type of fix a flat did you use? I'm wondering what I should carry on my RKC.
I'll have to look...nothing special...just something you can pick up at an Auto Zone or any NAPA...I get a new one every year!

Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 PM
BTIGGES
Novice

ok well another question.... i have the laced crome wheels so i have to run tubes in my tires... whats the best plan of action in the even of a flat tire

Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

pack your rain gear on top. never pack anything on top of it. you have spokes, i don't know the best plan if you get a flat, just make sure your spokes are adjusted. loose rear spokes will cause a front end wobble.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:53 AM
BTIGGES
Novice

i hear a lot about rain gear... so does anyone have any input on the rain gear to get... be specific... also the ones not to get... and im still looking for some info for the laced wheels that require a tube... what to do about a flat....

Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 AM
pons
4th Gear

Originally Posted by BTIGGES
i hear a lot about rain gear... so does anyone have any input on the rain gear to get... be specific... also the ones not to get... and im still looking for some info for the laced wheels that require a tube... what to do about a flat....
Until I bought an Aerostich which is water proof I wore this

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

Cheap, light, they will keep you dry and not sweating like rubber rain suits do.

Quick Reply: First Long Roadtrip