Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Long Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Kidharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went on my first long trip last year. The one thing I would do is do a test run packing. That way the night before you're not deciding what to leave behind (probably yours and not hers lol). Lip balm has been said but I will say it again. Also for me I don't wear gloves that often so I bring a small thing of hand lotion. Also cash, we ran into a small gas station that didn't take credit cards. Phone charger, I know obvious but should be said. And I second the under armor. I don't like wearing a jacket either and this stuff allows just a long sleved t-shirt for riding. Day and night glasses in case you do any riding at night.

And the last thing you should plan on bringing is an extra day. Just in case. After the last trip I'm always going to work in an extra day in case of weather. It sucks when it's pouring or worse and you "have" to get home for wrk or whatever.

Have fun man, and it's cool that your girl is going. Mine says "the Harley thing can be your thing". I'm not exactly complaining though. HAHA.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:50 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife and I do an annual week or so trip and the packing thing is certainly different for two. I ride an Ultra so there is some pretty good storage but still, we have always taken too many clothes, and since you are staying at friends take the opportunity to wash clothes. I would definitely try to do with only three days worth of clothes in layers. Take your old streched, worn out underwear and socks and throw them away as you go. I always take long sleeve t-shirts, that keeps the sun and wind burn to a minimum. You will need some good rain gear, the extra cost for the good stuff is worth it in the rain. It will get cold somewhere so cold weather gear is in order. I pack a leather jacket, or cordura, a sweat shirt or better yet a fleece shirt or vest. The sweat shirt or fleece can be worn alone for the not quite so cold mornings. One pair of riding boots and something else to wear after riding, I usually take something like dock shoes they pack easily and are light. If you know your itinerary close enough ship some clothes to the friends, switch and ship the dirties back home, it costs a little but well worth not having to carry it. Most of the big road bikes really can't be worked on on the road. I carry a minimum tool kit to tighten things that vibrate loose, but you really can't fix a flat or change a tire on the road, have a good towing plan. I do carry a tubeless plug kit and a small electric air pump to maybe get to the next town and a siphon hose just in case.
We put our rain gear, gloves (two kinds, light leather and Cordura lined cold weather gloves) in a roll bag on top of everything so it is easy to access. Also a couple of the neck gaiter/warmer things are invaluable in cool or cold weather and they take up zero room. The bike really handles differently with two people and luggage, so I can't stress enough about packing very light. Cash is good, there may be some out of the way gas stops that don't take a credit card, but if you stay on most main roads that shouldn't be a problem. If you wife is the type and can leave the hair dryer, make up kit, shoes at home then you are ahead already. Most of all have fun. Oh everybody in the group doesn't need a GPS, ideally let someone else take it.

Last edited by harleyflyboy; 04-28-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by etstrine
I'm sure there will be push back from other members on this but....

Forget the tools and make sure your road side assistance membership is paid up. If this were the 70s or 80s I would not make this statement because we HAD to carry tools in that day. But I can't remember the last time I had a mechanical problem that could be remedied along side of the road. HD quality and dependability has really improved over the years. If you must carry tools, split them up amongst your group. Each of you decide ahead of time what the other person will bring. This goes for other 'must have ' items (read: wife needs). Have to pack a hair drier? Only one or two bikes should take one and have the ladies share. I hate doing laundry. If you are going to stay at a friends and this stay is in the middle of your trip, send a UPS package to them with clean clothes so they are there when you arrive and then send another one back to your house with the dirty clothes (and any trinkets you've picked up along the way). If shipping clothes is not an option, do minimal laundry and take along your rat underwear, t-shirts and socks to throw away as they get dirty then buy some new along the way.

That's my minimalist approach
I've had many trips where I was mechanical-problem-free. I've also been in a little town in the mountains of Utah when a buddy's laced Road King rear wheel went flat and we got him back to Vegas on a can of fix-a-flat (almost 200 miles). I've been flying down the freeway, riding alone in an area with absolutely no cell service, listening to that sound that I decided was an exhaust header leak when I pulled off and found that one nut was gone completely and the other was hanging on by about a half thread. I've been on the side of the interstate in Arizona when a buddy's bike died and after he called for a HOG tow (we had already jumped his battery to get him running again when it died a second time) when we discovered that he had a loose nut on the voltage regulator, yes, the nut that has the ground connection on it!

Now...all of those situations were remedied by a simple tool kit that packs in about the same space as my Glock. I don't ride without either.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:55 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

@jmcollison -- what type of fix a flat did you use? I'm wondering what I should carry on my RKC.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 PM
BTIGGES
Novice

o ya.... i will be riding a 2009 street glide

Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BTIGGES
So here is the deal... i have a ride from iowa to colorado planned with a group of people this summer... this will be my first long road trip i have ever taken on a bike and want some advice on what to carry and not to...
Keep the last 10% of a roll from home, stick it in a plastic bag, and then stuff it in the bottom of the left saddle bag. It won't take much room, but if you're caught in the middle of nowhere in western Kansas or in the mountains in Colorado you'll thank me.

Last edited by doc_cj; 04-29-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:05 AM
the reverend
Tourer

I try to pack for any possible conditions we might get into... especially since you are going into some pretty high elevations, you never know what you are going to get. I would guess you will go from hot as hell to cold as ice within the course of your ride. I would rather fill up my space with different options for riding gear and pack less t-shirts, pants, etc...
When we went on our 3 week Alaska ride, my buddies ended up shipping half of their "random" clothing home one week into it.

It's already been said, but, it bears repeating... get good raingear!!! Do some research and find truly waterproof gloves... most of the ones that say they are, are not. I didn't do this on my first big roadtrip... I thought "we can just wait out the occasional rain cloud". Yeah, that doesn't happen.

The mesh jackets are worth their weight in gold for hot weather riding... cool as a T-shirt but keep the sun off your skin (and your skin on you if something goes wrong). You can soak your shirt with water and put the jacket on over it and you have air conditioning for a short period of time (drys pretty fast at 75mph).

The small tool wrap that comes with your bike is awesome... everything you need for minor adjustments and the things that are easy fixes along the road. If it's bigger than what the tool kit can handle, it's probably to big to fix on the road.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 AM
66impala
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

You said your taking your wife with you? Ive done many long rides with my sons, but only one with my wife and that was last week. I rented a Ultra Classic for the trip, one way it was only 400 miles to our destination, plus another 400 miles of riding around once we were there, total was 1250 miles start to finish. Point, my wife was going to KILL me. She got bored even with the radio on, she got cold even with good riding gear and a full face helmet, there is nothing worse than a unhappy female passenger, unhappy men bear down and take it most of the time. Do a test run of 100 miles one way and back and see how she holds up.

Set your bike up for comfort, I would ditch that short windshield and get a proper sized one that gets the air buffeting off your face, get a used ultra classic seat off of ebay so both of you are comfortable. Use chap-stick, by the end of the trip your lips will crack and fall off if your using a half helmet and short windshield. Im assuming your going to have a tour pack on the rear, pack as much weight in your saddle bags to keep the weight centered low. Carry a good roll of electric tape, I use this when it gets just a little cool out, tape the bottom of pants around your boots to prevent a draft, plus you can use it for other fixs if needed.

Notify your credit union or bank of the days your going to be on the road. Ive had them shut down my cards for usage when out of state, they thought the cards were stolen.
Your traveling with 10 people, someone is going to get weird, take it with a grain of salt, stay calm.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 AM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by etstrine
I'm sure there will be push back from other members on this but....

Forget the tools and make sure your road side assistance membership is paid up. If this were the 70s or 80s I would not make this statement because we HAD to carry tools in that day. But I can't remember the last time I had a mechanical problem that could be remedied along side of the road. HD quality and dependability has really improved over the years. If you must carry tools, split them up amongst your group. Each of you decide ahead of time what the other person will bring. This goes for other 'must have ' items (read: wife needs). Have to pack a hair drier? Only one or two bikes should take one and have the ladies share. I hate doing laundry. If you are going to stay at a friends and this stay is in the middle of your trip, send a UPS package to them with clean clothes so they are there when you arrive and then send another one back to your house with the dirty clothes (and any trinkets you've picked up along the way). If shipping clothes is not an option, do minimal laundry and take along your rat underwear, t-shirts and socks to throw away as they get dirty then buy some new along the way.

That's my minimalist approach
Ummmm,

I don't know what kind of harley u ride, but **** loosens up on the rest of ours with some regularity.

I carry tools to address most external problems and I also have AAA plus RV just in case. I have had to take off my heel shifter and use it for the toe shifter last road trip when the toe shifter stripped.
I fixed my buddy's dad's headlamp that same trip some 1000 miles before.
I never have had to call AAA for my motorcycle, and that includes a stuck shifter pawl on my ducati. But that isn't to say it won't happen.
I do know I am not going to be in some sunset valley in northern nowhere Montana saying "****, I can't get reception. Maybe I can use the phone as a hammer and the credit card as a screwdriver (which just may work, come to think of it).

My advise,

Go light on clothes. Think double duty.
Carry rain gear, and boots, no matter where u ride there will be a time if you ride long enough.
I carry a cooler, something good to drink while I sit on a rock somewhere, and a good camera.
Take your time, and have fun!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:31 AM
BTIGGES
Novice

i have made some of the adjustments for long trips.. i bought the 10 inch windshield so it protecrts a little better and a sundowner seat ...

and i know what your talking about with the TP roll... even at 24 years old nature can be abit inconvenient sometimes

thanks for the tips everyone... keep them comming...

Quick Reply: First Long Roadtrip