Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis Bound from KC

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
EasyRider2009
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis Bound from KC

Hey guys new to the forums here and slightly new to riding, only been riding for about a year on my 04' Sportster 1200 custom, but I've decided to head to Strugis SD this year for the big 70th anniversary. I figured this might be the best place to get some tips and maybe some questions answered. So any tips for long trips and how about when I get there? Heard it gets pretty crazy up there. Thinking about staying at the Lamphere Ranch is that a decent place? And how early should I get there to set up camp? Oh and I've seen that you can send down equipment that you don't want to ride with, how reliable is the service? Thanks guys, and anything you can think of tips and suggestions are more than welcomed!

EasyRider2009

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

First of all... Sturgis is what you make it...

Since this is your first consider it a learning experience. Enjoy what you can take in and make mental notes of all the events and rides that you can do the next time you go to Sturgis.

This year will be my fifth and I have yet to get to the East side of town to see or experience Glenco or the Buffalo Chip.

When you ship your stuff, include tape to reseal the box for the return ship home.

Look for me when your in Sturgis... I'll be easy to spot... I'll be riding the '07 vivid black street glide...

Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
binks2201
1st Gear

I'll echo the above comment... Sturgis is what you make of it! Last year was my first year and began making plans for this year as soon as I got back. Can't tell you much about the Lamphere Ranch as I stayed (and am staying) at the Chip. Best advice I can give you is travel light and give yourself plenty of time. Traffic (in town) can be a bitch, so it's best to have a plan for keeping the bike, (and yourself) cool.
Ride safe and maybe I'll see you (ha, ha) out there!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Jabo
Cruiser

This is my first year also. If you check around there a lot of web sites that have a lot of information. There is even one that for a few bucks you can download a big pdf that has a lot of information including stuff on camping out. We have been planning since late December and we can't wait. Since we are coming from North Carolina, we are taking 4 days to get out there by mainly back roads so we don't have to slab it all the way. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:27 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don’t forget your rain gear and bring a helmet for the hail.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
never say never
Tourer

i have been going to sturgis sense 1975 and have not a bad trip yet,theres nothing out there that you need to ship home period!!!!!!!!! If you can't bolt it on your bike you don't need it,every one out there wants to sell you one thing or another but its all about the black hills and the escape to a place of brother hood and riding and yes a little bit of parting,I know a lot of riders have never been there and belive me it is nothing like it used to be they cator to the rubs and the newbs and want you to reach deep into your pocket book,I cant get over all the new bars and conssesions that want your money take it from me it is just another tourist destination for most riders but for the belivers its still a place where a biker can still find a peacefull place to sleep and a ride to a party if thats on his or hers agenda!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM
EasyRider2009
Stage II

Thanks guys I really appreciate it! great info!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 PM
ENGINE5
Intermediate

I agree with what everyone else is saying. If you are wanting to REALLY party, don't even think about going out on your bike. The cops are thick as thieves and are known to do checkpoints. Also, they clear the streets at night and tow your bike, so walking back to camp is out. Be sure you stay somewhere close to where your going and you can ride the shuttle in and out of the chip or monkey rock. They kind of frown on getting too wild in town. But the rides are out of this world. We are staying at Creekside Campground this year for $15 a night (tent). It all depends on if you want to party 23 hrs a day or get some sleep. There are campgrounds that do both.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Dan1127
Road Master

Welcome to the forum Have fun in Sturgis

Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 AM
whiskeyrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 326 Likes on 149 Posts

I have seversl friends who stay at Lamphere and they all say good things. I belive it is pretty quite. Also "da bus" make regular trips to and from there. One other to look at is Bear Butte Creek. It is just a couple of miles away and is where I stay,WR.