Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Takin' a bit of a ride and have a small question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005 | 12:51 AM
helotaxi
|
Cruiser
Default Takin' a bit of a ride and have a small question

Hi all. Leaving on Friday, 9 June for a little ride. Leaving from Las Vegas and riding backroads across northern Arizona and southern Utah spending the first night in Cortez, CO. First day will be the longest day of my ride. Day two riding through the mountains to Manitou Springs, CO (right outside Colorado Springs for those not familiar). Meeting up with my dad and some of his friends there. Spending two nights there visiting friends. From there we are heading across NE spending the night in Alliance. Most boring day of the ride. Next day riding to Custer, SD visiting Wind Cave on the way. Next day we are hitting Crazy Horse, Rushmore, Deadwood and Spearfish Canyon spending the night in Spearfish. From there we are heading across MT with stops in Livingston, Great Falls and Whitefish. Coming out of Whitefish we are crossing Going to the Sun Road through Glacier Nat'l Park. Next we are heading up into Canada running throug the Rockies to Vancouver. Heading into WA from there and back across MT to Yellowstone and then down through Salt Lake City and back to Vegas.

I bought a vid cam mount and will be taping parts of the ride. I'll find a host and post links once I get back. I'm bringing the digicam as well and will get some stills up on my return. 3 weeks and 5500+ miles. Can't wait!

Question: What are the proof of insurance requirements for entering Canada on a bike. Rumour has it that they are pretty sticky with bikes and insurance and I know I need a special card my question is do they require the original card or will a faxed copy suffice?

Old 06-07-2005 | 01:55 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Takin' a bit of a ride and have a small question

Clammy might be able to help you with that...or click this link I found...it's from another forum, but it seems to have something.

CAnadian Bike Insurance Requirements

Looks like you need a "yellow card" from your insurance company stating that you are covered to $120K...though not sure...I'd call your insurance company and see what they say.

Hope this helps.

Mac

Old 06-07-2005 | 12:32 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

We went to Canada a few years ago and I just got a card from State Farm Insurance. I went by the office and they knew exactly what I needed.

We Went pre 9/11 and didn't need passports, but I wouldn't go without one now.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-07-2005 | 12:33 PM
helotaxi
|
Cruiser

Thanks. I searched for the better part of an hour yesterday with no luck. My dad and I both have Prog. They inferred to him (or maybe it was the other guy on the ride inferred it) tht you needed the original rather than a faxed copy. That thread coming from guys who seem to cross regularly indicates that a faxed copy is good. Now I just need to get the word to my dad and get his and his friend's card faxed to me. Thanks a lot.

BTW, which VT did you go through and what do you fly?

Old 06-07-2005 | 12:36 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

I fly CH-53E Helicopters for the Marine Corps...currently an instructor here in Yuma.

As for the VT, not sure. I went to www.ask.com and in the search I typed something like, "what proof of motorcycle insurance do I need to get into canada"

Ask.com is pretty good, it seems to search better when you ask the question in full sentences that resemble english.

Mac

Old 06-07-2005 | 09:15 PM
helotaxi
|
Cruiser

Sorry the VT thing was in line with the "what do you fly?" question as in what training squadron did you go through? VT-3 Alum, myself.

Old 06-07-2005 | 11:54 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

AHH...sorry so dumb, I am a Marine, and I went though the program where they speak slowly, using gutteral noises to fill in the blanks!

I was VT-2 grad, then HT-8, stationed in NC before transferring here, Yuma.

Mac