Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

WV, Virginia Beach, PA.. 9 Days.. you pick my roads!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up WV, Virginia Beach, PA.. 9 Days.. you pick my roads!

Ok folks.. this is kind of a continuation of a post I just did called "3600 miles and 10 days... "

Anyway, in that thread I decided that a West Virginia trip sounded pretty nice. My wife and I will be leaving Dayton Ohio on May 21st and we don't have to be back to work until June 1st... We want to explore the best motorcycle roads in WV and then make our way to Virginia Beach and then go NW into PA and maybe check out the 5 finger lakes area.

I'm asking that you folks give me the best roads that you can think of in these areas.. i'll compile all of your suggestions and then map out the ultimate WV, PA road trip.

Thanks in advance, Ralph

Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Jim over in the other thread posted this:

Originally Posted by WideBoy04
If you don't have a Street and Trip program I highly recommend one.
From Dayton you could take 35 to Chilli. Pick up 50 to 79 S. Take 33 E
to Seneca Rocks. Prolly a nice day ride. You could spend 2 nights
there, (4UMotel) not bad, old, restaurant 100 yds. fuel a couple mile
w/beverages. Riding out from Seneca Rocks you could explore different
areas, maybe have to backtrack some but hey it looks different going
another direction. Smoke Hole Rd. loop north of the motel with some
rock formations. Come out on 220 down to 33 and back to the room.
South of Seneca Rocks you have Cass RailRoad, Snowshoe, Rt. 150
around Marlinton, spend a night there. From Marlinton you could pick up
39 to 220 to 250 to the Skyline. Run Skyline north to 33 and work
your way back to 64 to VA Beach. Many variables possible. Alot of nice
roads. Pick up a Street and Trip . Maybe some know the area better than me and can offer more. I'm planning on heading that way
the first of June for a 3 day guy get away.

Jim

Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Hey Ralph --- I live in upstate PA, less than an hour drive from the Finger Lakes area. Lots of info overload here, but these are nice rides.

If you're going up 81 to Harrisburg --From Harrisburg PA, all the way up here, 15's the way to go. About 10 miles north of Williamsport PA, on 15 (at Trout Run) take route 14 all the way into the Finger Lakes region. 14's a great ride except for a few lights while going through Elmira NY. 14 goes past wineries & tours near the lakes, (also Watkins Glen State Park) and goes all the way up to Sodus Point NY. This is a really nice relaxing ride & Sodus Point is kind of a cool little town, right on Lake Ontario. A few of us ride here a few times a year, just to have lunch at Sodus. Anyway, go back down to PA --- Take 14 south to Watkins Glen, 414 to Corning & 17/86 west, about 5 miles, to 15 south into PA, to route 6 near Mansfield & go to OH on route 6. 6 is a beautiful ride from here, west. 6 also goes right past the Grand Canyon of PA. Take an hour extra & go see it. At Smethport PA, 6 dips down south & comes back north. Take 59 right across the top of this dip. Runs into 6 again, at Warren PA, but 59 goes by Kinzua Dam & you won't see it from 6. At Kinzua Dam, another nice option is 321 down to 6 & then 66 south from Kane PA, down to I80. That's a real nice ride too.

If you're coming up, right from WV --- I've done this in the car several times & always wanted to ride this way on my bike. Looks like a fun ride. If you're west of 81 in VA, try 77, to 79, to 68 to Cumberland MD. Then go north on 220/99. Follow 220 north until you hit 15 in Williamsport PA. Then follow above directions.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Awesome feedback GizerGlide... that is the stuff I'm looking for. And my father inlaw has a cabin real close to the Kinzu dam.. I've been out that way a few times and it is very nice.

Ok folks... I really expected a few more comments... guess no one likes West Virginia.. Come on folks give me more roads!

Thanks, Ralph

Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 PM
WideBoy04
Cruiser

Check out this forum, I think there are some WV'ians there.

Jim

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php

Old 04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
scarygt
Road Master

After looking over the state on googlemaps I'm now thinking that I might as well just do the Skyline Drive and Blueridge Parkway again... not much different in WV than what is on the skyline and the blueridge is probably the best riding in this part of the country.

Do you folks agree with this new strategy? I'm thinking that I'll take 50 over to Front Royal Virginia.. that will take me through a lot of WV.

I was also looking at running to NM and AZ, but I still think that this would be too big of a trip for 9 days. Decisions.. decisions.. decisions....

Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Hey Ralph --- I'm an outside sales rep & travel PA, so I know the roads with my eyes closed, if you need anything. Can't help you with WV though.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:31 AM
WideBoy04
Cruiser

"I was also looking at running to NM and AZ, but I still think that this would be too big of a trip for 9 days. Decisions.. decisions.. decisions.... "

Suggestions..suggestions..suggestions...LoL. Ever done CO. Might be a
little early. But if you could handle a two day hump there and back (600
mile a day) 5 days in CO. would be a great ride, starting in Estes Park
zig zag to Canon City, CO. Springs back to I70. Take me, Take me!!!!!!

Jim

Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Been there and decided that I can see pine trees anywhere! I hit their around May 19th of last year and went way out of my way to get to Rockies and the damn main road through them was closed. Plus it was freaking cold when I was heading into the mountains.. I decided that it didn't really look very impressive after just returning from NM, AZ, UT, WY... I even told the park ranger that the rockies sucked compared to every where else I had just been! LOL

I'm sure that it might be nice, but probably too early in the year for me.. I'd like it to not have snow on the ground when I cruize through there.

Ralph

Originally Posted by WideBoy04
"I was also looking at running to NM and AZ, but I still think that this would be too big of a trip for 9 days. Decisions.. decisions.. decisions.... "

Suggestions..suggestions..suggestions...LoL. Ever done CO. Might be a
little early. But if you could handle a two day hump there and back (600
mile a day) 5 days in CO. would be a great ride, starting in Estes Park
zig zag to Canon City, CO. Springs back to I70. Take me, Take me!!!!!!

Jim

Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by scarygt
After looking over the state on googlemaps I'm now thinking that I might as well just do the Skyline Drive and Blueridge Parkway again... not much different in WV than what is on the skyline and the blueridge is probably the best riding in this part of the country.

Do you folks agree with this new strategy? I'm thinking that I'll take 50 over to Front Royal Virginia.. that will take me through a lot of WV.

I was also looking at running to NM and AZ, but I still think that this would be too big of a trip for 9 days. Decisions.. decisions.. decisions....
Parkway has not changed since you rode it the last time. Try some new roads. Let me know what area of WV and what kind of roads you like and I'll see what I can do.

Quick Reply: WV, Virginia Beach, PA.. 9 Days.. you pick my roads!