Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Wetern Montana Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Red Lodge and Beartooth Pass is a must see. Glacier is also. The riding up there is amazing. Make sure you have full leathers. Last early August we were in leathers most of the time and low 40's up on the mountain. Well worth it. Enjoy

Old 04-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto the cold weather gear regardless of season if you want to ride and camp in the Rockies. Last year we camped in a KOA just outside of Yellowstone during the middle of July and had ice on our bikes the next morning. Great advice from those that have been there but I would second the Chief Joseph Hwy, that one usually gets overlooked. Obviously Beartooth Pass and if you can, the Lewis & Clark Trail from Lolo to Lewiston I'd second as well. A good portion of that trip follows the Lochsa River and is very scenic. Can't really go wrong in western Montana, awesome scenery and great folks.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:17 PM
wisconsin harley rider
Stage IV

Faber.... My sister and her husband and my wife and i are coming out your way over th july 4th week,, have a motels books in different towns out there BUT now after reading your suggetions we are kinda lost. thought we had a nice plan. anyways i was wondering if i could have your email adddy and we coudl tell you what we have planned and would greatly appreciate any or all comments good and bad and altenate sites and places we may have missed. otherwise our email is harleynhummer@yahoo.com if that works for you.. I hope im NOT bombarded by others seeing i am giving out my email addy. Hope to hear back form you.IF you dont mind, thanks.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
soggy6060
Novice
Default riding thru montana first wk of sept

Six of us are riding from indiana to seattle then down the cali coast the 1st wk of september. plan on riding thru montana on our way and was wandering what we can expect weather wise that time of year? we were hoping to hit up glacier nat'l park.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wisconsin harley rider
Faber.... My sister and her husband and my wife and i are coming out your way over th july 4th week,, have a motels books in different towns out there BUT now after reading your suggetions we are kinda lost. thought we had a nice plan. anyways i was wondering if i could have your email adddy and we coudl tell you what we have planned and would greatly appreciate any or all comments good and bad and altenate sites and places we may have missed. otherwise our email is harleynhummer@yahoo.com if that works for you.. I hope im NOT bombarded by others seeing i am giving out my email addy. Hope to hear back form you.IF you dont mind, thanks.

PM me. We'll chat--happy to help. Let me know where in WI you live. I used to live in Madison.

Cheers

Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by soggy6060
Six of us are riding from indiana to seattle then down the cali coast the 1st wk of september. plan on riding thru montana on our way and was wandering what we can expect weather wise that time of year? we were hoping to hit up glacier nat'l park.
September? near GNP? It should be generally warm (70°-85°)m, but once you climb and gain altitude be prepared for any kind of weather, including rain/snow. Passes will be the most unpredictable (like Logan Pass), but also the easiest to flee.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 AM
aceman2101
4th Gear

Alot of great suggestions, I will add that if your travels permit plan to stay a nite in Missoula Montana. Great biker friendly town, with some great biker bars downtown

Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
soggy6060
Novice

Thx for the info! we're looking forward to the trip

Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by aceman2101
Alot of great suggestions, I will add that if your travels permit plan to stay a nite in Missoula Montana. Great biker friendly town, with some great biker bars downtown
and yummy ice cream at The Big Dipper. Worth the long lines outside.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 AM
DanD
Road Captain

Originally Posted by aceman2101
not anymore.no biker bars in Missoula.Iron horse used to be,but the owner got a divorce,and hsi wife got the joint,won't even allow a patch in there anymore.Lukes was closed some years ago to "clean up downtown".All that's left now is charlie b's,locals joint,and rest all college bars.

Quick Reply: Wetern Montana Trip