Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Wetern Montana Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:23 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcollison
Maybe we can get more of the "locals" to chime in here, but I was there end of June/first of July in 2009 and the road had just been open a week. I'm sure it depends on how long winter clings to the area each season but mid-June might be dicey!!!!
They shoot for Memorial Day weekend, but it's a crap shoot. Sometimes it's a week or two later.

Check the official NPS site for GNP.

The Beartooth Hwy will be open by Memorial Day weekend.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:00 PM
GBFLHX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sure looks like a great area to ride to. I can hardly wait for my turn in June. One more question for those who experienced it. How much winter gear should I bring for the mid June ride? I know it can get pretty chilly in the mountains, even here in California Sierra.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 AM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Faber gave you some excellent ride advice, snow is below average this year so there is agood chance roads will open sooner than usual as long as spring arrives on time. A leather jacket is allways good to bring to the rockies, never needed more than that, and of course some gloves.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 AM
natetp1227
Advanced

I am not sure what else to tell you after Faber's suggestions. Here is what I would add as options. I would take Hwy 14 from I-90 about 30 miles north of Sheridan. From there you can either take 14 or 14A. I have ridden both and are good rides. 14 you will hit Shell Falls which is pretty cool. Both roads will provide you with good mountain riding. The roads will meet back together in Cody. Cody is a good town with plenty of places to stay and there is a rodeo every night in the summer. From Cody you can take 120 north to 296, which is Chief Joseph. This is another fantastic road. From 296 you can take 212 across Bear Tooth into Red Lodge, MT. Good place to stay is Red Lodge Motel on the south side of town, you will pass as you come in on 212. He keeps a keg of beer on ice in the summer. You can either walk or drive into town from there, about 5 blocks. I would agree that Snow Creek is a great place to get burgers. It looks seedy but isn't! You can then ride back across Bear Tooth into Yellowstone. I would do some research as to areas that you want to visit in Yellwostone otherwise you could spend days there. Mammoth Springs is cool in the NW corner and the ride to Canyon is also good. Since you are right there I would also recommend going down to Jackson and riding along the Tetons. You can either stay in Teton Village or Jackson, I would recommend Jackson. Better bars and more places to stay. I would also recommend staying around the square. Little more pricey but close to everything. I would then ride across to Idaho Falls, the pass across the Tetons is awesome. From there I would head up to Glacier. Again I would agree that Whitefish is a good place to stay. If you take 93 north from Whitefish and take the loop around to Libby you will ride south along Lake Koocanusa which is pretty cool. Just outside Libby you will find Kootenai National Park/Forest. The pullover is on the north side of the road. These are the falls from the movie The River Wild. I would definitely take the hour and walk around there. You can also get a good view walking across the tension bridge there. Last but not least I would also agree to ride Lolo Pass. The ride on 12 is nice! Sorry so wordy.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 AM
natetp1227
Advanced

Originally Posted by GBFLHX
It sure looks like a great area to ride to. I can hardly wait for my turn in June. One more question for those who experienced it. How much winter gear should I bring for the mid June ride? I know it can get pretty chilly in the mountains, even here in California Sierra.

I caught snow on Bear Tooth in July. It was minimal and still ridable, but cold. I don't travel without full leather. In the mountains it is always possible to hit temps in the 30's.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I can add is watching your riding time in the afternoon. Don't plan by the mileage. Always find out how long it takes time wise. The fun twisties are awesome, but they slow you down and it takes longer than you may think.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:25 AM
GBFLHX
6th Gear

Thanks everybody for great insights!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:25 AM
DanD
Road Captain

if ya get cold easy,plan to be off the road before dark,temps drop fast here when the sun goes down.I'd take winter gloves for sure,and be sure to have full leathers for the higher mtns,especially if you get cold easy.going to the sun road ought to be open by mid June,that's when ti regularly opens,unless there's an avalanche,and they need extra time to get the road open.oh,and be prepared for rain as well.Pm me when time get close,I'd love to meet ya at Lolo or give conditions.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 PM
deluxeroad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Born and raised in Kalispell. Some great riding country all around. Faber's comments along with others pretty much spells it out. As noted, be sure to have cold weather gear regardless of the time of year you ride. We were in Kalispell just a week ago and temps were in the upper 60's and wish we were on the bikes, but I've been back home in late June and you can get lots of cold rain in the valley and snow up higher, also. Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
mervt198
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to take in Testy Festy first weekend in August near Missoula. Deep fried prairie oysters and shishkaballs on the menu.

Quick Reply: Wetern Montana Trip