Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road service Canada, Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM
the reverend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At times the mosquitos are like a fog and there were other places we didn't see a single one... The funny thing about the whole Al-Can experience is, everything you've read/heard is going to be true at some point and total BS at another.
One piece of advice i can give you is, pack for any possible condition... take enough basics (socks, underwear, etc..) to get you through a week and do laundry once in a while. That will leave room for the gear you need for hot days (hot as hell at times!!! wasn't expecting that) and then colder and wetter than you've ever wanted to be on a bike. It will probably rain on you at least once a day but the storms traveled fast up there so, most of the time, we would be out of it within an hour. There were a few days that we fought through heavy downpours for the entire day though. My normal rain gear was fine for my body and legs, but my "waterproof" gloves were soaked pretty quick and my "waterproof" boots did the same thing. The one guy on our trip boat the boot covers that Harley makes and he was the only one with dry feet on the trip... I wouldn't do that trip again without them. I've been doing some research on gloves too because all of our gloves that were supposed to be "waterproof" didn't last through the Al-Can storms.

Just to reinforce what alaska aviator already said... that stretch above Kluane Lake was brutal when we went through!!! Maybe give Larry a heads up to make sure you don't need to hurry through that section... the holes in the road are not pot holes, they are craters that could easily blow a tire if you smacked into one at high speed. The frost heaves are kinda funny at first cause you come flyin out of your seat like you hit a launch ramp, but they get old after a mile or two and they can definitely sneak up on you. The moral of that long and drawn out story is... take your time, keep a lot of space between your bikes (you will be swerving all over the road to avoid stuff) and turn it into a video game... the winner is the one that ends the road without any pieces of their bike missing ( we lost a highway peg and a saddle bag bolt from our crew )

One of our favorite places we stayed was Muncho Lake... we stayed in the cabins there which were awesome and there is Lodge there that serves great authentic German food... the road that you come in on that is right a the edge of Muncho lake is one of the prettiest and most fun little stretches of the whole ride. Here is a link to those cabins...http://www.northernrockieslodge.com/...dge/cabins.htm

Sorry for the extra long response... I could go on so if you want anymore info, feel free to shoot me a PM

andrew

Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 PM
msg31u
Intermediate
Default reply to road conditions

OK, my mind is made up. I will get a pair of rain gaiters for this trip.
Thanks for the heads up on the road condition. I will let Larry with his trailer up front for that part. He can go at the speed he is comfortable with on that section. I sure don't need any bent rims or flats. I have two new tires ordered and will install them right before we leave in June.
Thanks Mike

Old 04-26-2010, 01:28 PM
stillwater
Tourer

If you're camping, don't rely solely on this ThermaCELL thing (it may work, but I have my doubts). It may not be buggy, but if it is you'll want something that works -- so make sure it contains deet; imo nothing else is as effective (just keep it away from your paint, etc. -- it'll melt/eat the plastic of a hard hat).

Old 05-02-2010, 12:25 AM
yk.hd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natetp1227
I would first of buy the Milepost. It is about $30 at Amazon. Buy the most recent. This will give you the most current info about lodging and gas that are still open. This covers all highways in Canada and Alaska. I would make sure to give yourselves enough time to enjoy the Icefields Pkwy between Banff and Jasper. You easily could spend a 1/2 to full day there. If you can plan the timing on the route I would avoid spending the night in Watson Lake. There is very limited lodging and only one place to eat and drink and it isn't very good. I would recommend to lodge in Fort Nelson and then Whitehorse. These are bigger towns with more options. From Whitehorse you can easily make Alaska. From there your options are endless. Ask me any questions that you may have and I will try to answer. natetp1227@hotmail.com
This is a great post. Especially the hint about avoiding spending any more time than necessary in Watson Lake. It's not the greatest town going... and their one decent hotel burned to the ground about a week ago. Fort Nelson is kind of like an oil town - lots of guys coming out of camp (I don't remember their shift change day) so I'd suggest phoning ahead for reservations.

You mentioned that there is somewhat of an itinerary for your trip... but as others have said, allow yourself a couple days ''grace period'' in case you need to make a detour or alter your plans a little.

Should be a great trip!

Old 05-02-2010, 03:59 PM
msg31u
Intermediate

Thanks for the information guys. We plan to camp as much as possible and avoid the overpriced tourist motels. This is more than likely Larry's last long ride and my first really long one. After the wife retires, I hope we get to tour the country by motorcycle. I am already in the doghouse because she can't get off work that long.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:51 PM
msg31u
Intermediate
Default Road condition Alaska highway

Larry got a call this week from a friend who lives close by and spends the summers in Alaska. They report that the road conditions are good all the way. I am sure they were traveling by other than motorcycle so the imperfections we dodge are not usually noticed by non riders.
I hear most of the damage is usually done by the frost upheavals anyway.
What time of year does this become the worst?

Old 05-20-2010, 01:33 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got back from the states last week and the road is fine except for the last hundred miles or so before you get to the boarder. There was almost no construction going on at that time but did notice a few project getting ready to start up. The Watson Lake advice is good also but you may want to get some photos at the sign post forrest, you wont miss it. Make sure you fill up at Toad River. Watch out for wildlife especially in the morning and evening.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Default dont' break down

Originally Posted by ican
Well, the good news is if you break down, someone will eventualy come along to give you a ride to the next town. ...
The bad new is if nobody comes along, you might get eaten by a bear.

JR

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

A couple of years back we stopped in Toad River for some breakfast . My cousin asked for bacon and eggs and the waitress said we were too late for breakfast. The waitress gave us a few minuets and came back, my cousin asked if he could have an egg sandwich. Waitress.. sure would you like it toasted, cousin.. sure, waitress.. would you like some bacon on that, cousin..sure. We weren't sure how that was different than bacon and eggs but had a laugh over that.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 AM
msg31u
Intermediate
Default Update

Thanks for the information.
I repacked the wheel bearings on Larry's trailer last week. They looked real good after three cross country trips.
I changed the lube in my primary and transmission yesterday. I will change the engine oil closer to leaving date.
Feeling like a kid getting ready for the "great adventure".

Quick Reply: Road service Canada, Alaska