Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

3600 miles/10 days/ help me with the route

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 PM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3600 miles/10 days/ help me with the route

Well you all helped me out last year when I went out west.... figured you would all give me some good advice again.

Here is my initial trip thoughts:

I have 10 days.. May 21st to June 1st (Memorial day weekend in there at the end).

I was going to take the Mrs. out west, but decided that it would be too rushed of a trip. I figured this time we would go deep south. We'll be coming from Dayton Ohio. I did the Natchez Trace last year and it was kind of boring, but I was thinking that I would do it again but this time with the wife. Then we'd go to New Orleans for an evening. Then just follow the coast all the way down to the Keys. Then up the east coast back towards ohio again.

From Google maps it looks to be 3600 miles. so that is at least 400 miles a day to make it in 9 days. I was thinking that maybe I could just skip the Natchez and hammer down the highways to get to New Orleans.. then take my time coming back around the coastline. I'm also thinking that this might become a boring trip after a while of seeing ocean and more ocean... maybe after the keys I'll head up the east coastline of FL and then head inland to the Smokies.

Come on all of you southeners help me out with this trip.

I do appreciate all your advice, Ralph

Map link below of approx route.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...27&ie=UTF8&z=6

Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

My suggestion would be to stay further North as the roads in South tend to be flat, straight and lots of trucks. That many miles each day doesn't leave much time for anything other than gas stops. I think it is too ambitious myself. John

Old 04-19-2010, 10:56 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

I'd shoot for something with less miles. All you'll be doing is riding and won't have time to actually enjoy the sights as you pass them.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM
WideBoy04
Cruiser

From a fellow Ohioan, I know you said South, but. New Orleans might be nice, and The Keys. The East Coast below Myrtle I've never done. 10 days, 3600 miles in that area don't know how much good riding there really is. West got me ruined. A suggestion if not this trip maybe another, if you've never done it....10 days would really be nice to do some of the WV mountains (not to compare to West though), over to Virginia Beach along the Boardwalk, from there, either north across The Chesapeake Bay Bridge to PA, Amish country, York HD, Gettysburg, or south along the Outer Banks to Ocracoke and a ferry ride inland.

Whatever you do have fun and let me know about the south if thats where you go. Jim

Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 10-day trip

Originally Posted by scarygt

I have 10 days.. May 21st to June 1st (Memorial day weekend in there at the end).

..I figured this time we would go deep south. We'll be coming from Dayton Ohio...

From Google maps it looks to be 3600 miles. so that is at least 400 miles a day to make it in 9 days....
Ralph,

it doesn't seem that you're getting much support for your 3600-mile southern trip--how about a northern trip?

Seriously, some of the most beautiful country in the US and Canada is within a very reasonable driving distance from Dayton. And your plan is very late in the season to be going south.

Then 400-miles/day for nine days is a marathon--not a vacation. I like to just pick a direction and route, heading for the barn when the time's up.

lo-rider
'09 FXDC/I Super Glide Custom

Old 04-20-2010, 12:28 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you all helped me out last year when I went out west.... figured you would all give me some good advice again.
Advice ... we don't need no stinkin' advice ...

Oops ... wrong movie. You want Easy Rider instead.

Then we'd go to New Orleans for an evening. Then just follow the coast all the way down to the Keys. Then up the east coast back towards ohio again.
I did the New Orleans to Florida loop in '04. I loved the ride! Have you been to New Orleans before? I've been several times, and I think I like it more now than I did 35 years ago.

Anyway, the route you have planned looks pretty good. Three stops along the Gulf Coast side that are "must see" spots for me -- other than NO -- are Huntsville, Al (US Space and Rocket Center), Pensacola, FLA (I love those squeeky beaches), and Tampa/St Pete. Fotunately the interstate system allows you to cover lots of ground in a relatively short time while still have some chance to see local sites.

In '07 I rode into Jacksonville, FLA, from the Atlanta, GA, area, and then headed up the east coast to Atlantic City, NJ. I've never done the southern/Atlantic side of Florida on a bike (I did it in a car, but that's a different story). The ride from Jacksonville to Atlantic City was pretty spectacular. One of my favorite stops along the way was Charleston, SC.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...Come on all of you southeners help me out with this trip...I do appreciate all your advice, Ralph
I was born and raised in the greater Dayton area (all my brothers and sisters still live there) but now I live here in the south.

Here we go...the ride from Dayton to New Orleans seems to be figured out. The big cities in the deep south are usually not that much of an issue.

But once you get into Florida, the coastal rides can be a nightmare...especially as you approach St Pete on the west coast where US19 is commonly referred to as useless 19 due to the traffic, traffic lights (one every block for miles), and foot traffic. I lived in the Tampa area for many years and made every effort to avoid the entire ST Pete area.

South of ST Pete is better but views of the gulf are fewer due to private homes and businesses.

South Florida across Alligator Alley is to be attempted at night only by the very adventurous. Those "road 'gators" really are alligators...beware!

The ride to Key West can be an experience...and some of the bridges a bit scary as they are only two lane...keep an eye out for the motorhomes.

Traveling up the east coast of Florida can be yet another nightmare...remember, lots of tourists, homes, businesses, and speed traps all the way to the Georgia border. No disrespect to those that live in the Miami area but I never considered that area friendly (motorcycle or otherwise).

The weather can be either very nice or hot, steamy, and stormy. Florida is lightening capitol of the world. If you like to watch lightening, Florida is the place to go. If not, always have a place to duck into.

While I've put a rather negative spin on your plans, go, ride safely, and have a blast. Just be prepared for some challenging traffic and weather.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:18 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll retract my opinion that 3600 miles in ten days is a bit much and offer the following:

http://www.southwest.com
http://www.aa.com/homePage.do
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...ag&WT.mc_r=365

Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Ralph, exactly what kind of scenery are you looking for?

Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by WideBoy04
From a fellow Ohioan, I know you said South, but. New Orleans might be nice, and The Keys. The East Coast below Myrtle I've never done. 10 days, 3600 miles in that area don't know how much good riding there really is. West got me ruined. A suggestion if not this trip maybe another, if you've never done it....10 days would really be nice to do some of the WV mountains (not to compare to West though), over to Virginia Beach along the Boardwalk, from there, either north across The Chesapeake Bay Bridge to PA, Amish country, York HD, Gettysburg, or south along the Outer Banks to Ocracoke and a ferry ride inland.

Whatever you do have fun and let me know about the south if thats where you go. Jim
Beleive it or not after reading the first post via my droid phone I decided that I didn't really want to do the coastline run anymore.. my wife and i have been talking about wv for a few years now, but for some reason we keep on going elsewhere... i think if we spend 9 to 10 days on the ride that you are describing we could really relax and enjoy ourselfs. And I know what you are saying about how awesome out west is... my favorite state and the one that ruined me is Utah... damn best state in the US for riding motorcycles in!

I really do like the route you mention and it is damn close to what I was thinking about doing.. you must be a pretty cool dude to think just like me!

Thanks, Ralph

Quick Reply: 3600 miles/10 days/ help me with the route