Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

May trip in four corners area

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:53 PM
roadroids
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May trip in four corners area

Any tips on traveling in the four corners area in May? Concerned about conditions on high passes in NM, UT, CO in particular. Was hoping to see Monument Valley, Zion, Brice, etc and maybe north rim. I'm traveling west from either St Louis or Memphis and expect some I 40 miles coming and going. Any suggestions? Looking for a 8 to 10 day trip and don't mind some large mileage days around 600+.
Many thanks.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:49 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

I've been to Bryce, Canyonlands and Arches National Park - all stunning places. Those areas should be fine in May, but during that time of year in the high country - weather is highly variable. Could be beautiful, sunny but cold, rainy & cold or even snowing. My best advice is pack for everything and be flexible with your plans.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by roadroids
Any tips on traveling in the four corners area in May?
FWIW, the Four Corners Monument is closed until late June.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
softailMamaJama
Cruiser

there can be snow in the higher areas of northern nm in may, although sometimes the roads are just fine. just kind of depends.
chaco canyon is really cool if you're looking for adventures in the area

Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 AM
bamarider
Tourer

Just got back from that area. Four Corners is closed for work. North Rim is closed until May 15th. We had no problem with temp but the wind was real bad. It was a beautiful ride!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roadroids
Any tips on traveling in the four corners area in May?
You mention coming out I-40, so plan on some rain at that time of the year. I ride I-40 from Utah to Oklahoma City every year in May and I've yet to have a year (in the last 7) that I didn't get rained on at least once. Last year I had rain from western Page, AZ, all the way to Amarillo, Tx, and then again from the TX/OK border into OKC.

As for the Four Corners area, it should be warm enough in that general area. As you noted, though, the passes can be the tricky part. Layering is the key to be comfortable around here. You can add layers when you're at higher altitude and take it off when you're on the plateaus.

If you're not used to the elevation then take it easy the first couple times you get above 6000 feet. Altitude sickness sidelines more flatlanders around here than anything else. The dry air also sucks out the moisture, especially when riding in 90 degree temperatures across the high desert regions.

[/QUOTE] Was hoping to see Monument Valley, Zion, Brice, etc and maybe north rim. I'm traveling west from either St Louis or Memphis and expect some I 40 miles coming and going. Any suggestions? Looking for a 8 to 10 day trip and don't mind some large mileage days around 600+.
Many thanks. [/QUOTE]

How many days are you planning for the actual Utah tour? You can easily spend a day in each of the parks your listed. Zion is especially tricky, since you can't park near most of what you'll want to see. You have to park outside the park and take a shuttle in, or you just have to ride across the park. You can't ride in, find a path, park, and then start hiking. So if you want to see the really great sites you'll need to leave the bike, which means more time.

If you just want to do the ride-and-click routine with your camera then you'll still have a nice ride. But I'd hate to have you ride 1500 miles each way just to see a small part of the park. Peronsally, I'd say you should plan at least 3/4 of a day in Zion if you want the really great stuff.

Bryce is a lot easier on the ride plans. A lot of the canyon is just off the main park drive. You can duck into a parking lot, take a short hike to the photo spots, and then head back for the bike. A half-day in Bryce is usually sufficient for most people. Like a lot of national parks, expect plenty of tourist (who all want to stand in front of you while you're trying to frame a picture).

The ride from Zion to Bryce is actually one of my favorite. There's a couple little towns along the way where you can stop for lunch. Highway 89 is well maintained, and you won't have too much problem finding your way. Be careful of weather, though. The changes in elevation can be deceiving in some spots.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Did you say what time during May you're coming? There is a great difference between early May and late May out here.