Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Route sugg from Willow Sprgs, AZ to Kanab, UT

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Route sugg from Willow Sprgs, AZ to Kanab, UT

I've got a trip planned on Apr 26th, after the Laughlin River Run. Been planning for a while and have the route set, going thru Mexican Hat, UT.

But looking for some alternate routes in case of bad weather or if we want to cut the trip shorter for any reason.

From Willow Springs, AZ... what would be a prefered route for sceneary and good riding roads, to get to Kanab, UT?

1st, Worth it to head up the 160 to the 98, then N/W towards Page? Or better to head N on the 89?

2nd, Better to go thru Page and Big Water to Kanab? Or the 89 alt thru Marble Canyon and Fredonia?

Thanks for any input
HS

Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really can't go wrong here. AZ-98 is really cool. It reminds me of Mars or Goblin Valley, UT. No matter how you get to Page, take 89 S to Bitter Springs and 89A west to Jacob Lake, Fredonia & Kanab. If AZ-67 (to North Rim) is open, I'd highly suggest a side trip down and back. It is awesome. Either way, 89A is the key here. Don't skip it!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a killer mexican restaurant across the street from the Shilo Inn in Kanab, forgot the name of it.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Thanks for the info.
My original riding partner (my brother in law) can't make the trip. The friend who will be going with me doesn't do as much riding. I want to be prepared with a shorter route and adjust the trip as needed.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I rode from Phoenix to Cove Fort Utah last Sunday. I took 89 the whole way from Flagstaff to Panguitch. We were in kind of a rush to get home, so we didn't take 89A. I will say, however, that you don't lose much by staying on 89. That's a beautiful ride too. My recollection is that the route through Jacob Lake is prettier, so if I was only going to do it once, that's the way I think I'd go, but really, all of those roads are great. If your riding partner is getting weary, and you feel like the shorter route would be more conducive to an enjoyable ride, you're still going to have a great ride if you just stay on 89.

I will say that if the road to the North Rim is open that would definitely tip the scales in favor of that route.

Last edited by AtticusFinch; 04-16-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Sounds Great !!

Our 'Planned' route takes us to four corners area, then up to Blanding and across UT thru the NP's and down towards Vegas and back home.
But lots of variables. First off, we're starting the trip at the end of the Laughlin River Run. So we both may be beat right at the start.

A few weeks ago my buddy was saying he was tired after riding about 100 miles over the previous weekend. I laughed at him and said, 'DUDE, you better toughen up... We'll be doing about 2k miles and maybe 300 to 400 a day on our trip'

HAHA... Just messin with him. But for sure I want to adjust as we go so we both have a good time..... AND put some good roads and scenary behind us.

-- It's not the destination, It's the journey --

Thanks for the input !!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:44 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
I've got a trip planned on Apr 26th, after the Laughlin River Run. Been planning for a while and have the route set, going thru Mexican Hat, UT.
Which way are you coming into Kanab? If you're coming from Laughlin then you may come up I-15and then into Kanab from the west. That's a good ride, and allows you cover more ground if you have less time. It would allow you to hit Zion National Park before going to Kanab; however, it may be a bit out of the way. There is no easy route from Zion NP back to Kanab other than to go to Mount Carmel (junction of 89/9) and then back south down US89 to Kanab.

If you come the other way (up 89 through Cameron and to the 89/89A junction near White Mesa) then you'll have a couple choices. Recognize, though, that this will make you run east to west first (either down 89A or 89) and then back west to east in order to go from Kanab to Mexican Hat. That is, unless you decide to go north more and then back around to Mexican Hat. I'm guessing, though, that from your description you won't have the time or ability to do that.

With that said, I'm with a couple of the others. Come up 89 through Cameron and then take 89A west through Jacob Lake. That's a nice ride, especially when you consider you'll climb from around 3000 feet to around 8000 feet by the time you hit Jacob Lake. Bring your long johns, you'll need then at Jacob Lake this time of the year.

From Willow Springs, AZ... what would be a prefered route for sceneary and good riding roads, to get to Kanab, UT?
The Jacob Lake route is a little more change in elevation, and that means a change in the flora. You'll go from high desert/plateau to Aspen forest by the time you hit Jacob Lake.

The 89 route (either from Kanab to Page or visa-versa) also has some interesting scenery. The elevation change is not as radical, and you'll see more of the Escalante and high plateau of southern Utah and northern Arizona.

Oh yeah, if you go across 89A and into Fredonia watch for the fake police car on main street. More importantly, watch for the real police cars that are likely sitting on the edge of town.

You also mention in a later post that you plan to go from Mexican Hat to Blanding. Now you're talking a great potential ride. Here's what I'd strongly encourage.

Take 95 to Blanding area, then cut acorss Utah 24. That's where some of the BEST riding is found in the state. This will take you into Canyonlands NP and Capitol Reef NP.

Better still, once you're on 24 keep going west to hook up with Utah 12. Take 12 south/west toward Escalante and into Bryce Canyon NP. Keep going west on 12, you'll hook up with 89. That is a marvelous ride then back toward Kanab.

Have fun!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Doc

The kanab route will actually be our second choice as a alt shorter route.

Our primary goal is to head E from Kingman, using 66 , then 40 to Williams, N to Grand Canyon.

From GC, N/E thru kayienta to Mex Hat. Four Corners then up to Blanding. Then start heading W to Torry and down thru Bryce and Zion. Then thru Vegas (and valley of fire) and home.

I figure at the GC village we can make the decission on which way to head. Though the last few days I've been thinking we can also head to Vegas and Zion first, then decide where to go from there.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:35 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
Doc

The kanab route will actually be our second choice as a alt shorter route.

Our primary goal is to head E from Kingman, using 66 , then 40 to Williams, N to Grand Canyon.

From GC, N/E thru kayienta to Mex Hat. Four Corners then up to Blanding. Then start heading W to Torry and down thru Bryce and Zion. Then thru Vegas (and valley of fire) and home.

I figure at the GC village we can make the decission on which way to head. Though the last few days I've been thinking we can also head to Vegas and Zion first, then decide where to go from there.
Hope that works for you ... you've planned the perfect route. Good luck with the rookie rider ... if he gets tired at 100 miles in a day you'll about kill him hitting 400+ ...