Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Little Sturgis, Thunder in the valley, Ohio HELP?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:14 PM
towrecovery
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Sturgis, Thunder in the valley, Ohio HELP?!?!?

so my buddies and i are trying to decide where to go for our "big trip" this year. we are from Chicago and really didn't want to go more than 8-10 hours away. my friend suggested Little Sturgis in Ky, I looked at their web site and it looks lame with not much going on. I looked at thunder in the valley in PA, and that looks like a much better time and the hills/mountains look like fun. i also saw the Ohio bike week, that looked OK. lot of venders, but lacked in the riding.

I guess what i am looking for is a place where we can do some awesome riding (like the "Tail of the Dragon", "Needles Highway", "Iron Mountain Road" kinda riding) and a place with a lot of venders and partying. - Kinda like the actual Sturgis, but closer.
anyone been to any of these rallies? any good? any suggestions other than those?

Last edited by towrecovery; 04-11-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-12-2010, 05:53 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

I live 20 miles from Sandusky, Ohio (Ohio Bike Week). You came very close in your description. Nice setup, good bands, decent vendors, but the rides leave a bit to be desired. Unfortunately northern Ohio is generally pretty flat. That said riding down Rt 6 (Grand Army of the Republic Highway) along the lake makes for a real pretty ride. Rt 6 runs east to west all the way along Lake Erie. The trip down to Amish country also makes a nice ride. I read that someone is also having a bike a rally over the same time period at PUT in Bay (Island) which also make a nice trip.

If you decide to to go to OBW let me know and I will try to help out.

PS the old Roeders HD (one of the sites of OBW) that close last year in May, is expected to reopen in time for OBW. They are now owned by Adventure HD.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts
Old 04-13-2010, 04:37 AM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

Thunder in the valley is set up pretty nice, lots of vendors bands, riding is good in the area, lots of mountain roads but nothing like the dragon. Only live bout 2 hours from there. Parties well not sturgis. Morgantown WV rally and freedom fest in Wv the riding in WV is awsome do a couple of long weekends there a year. Area of freedomfest (snowshoe WV) is better riding imho. Again parties not sturgis but not to shabby either. If you end up going there drop me a line I'll shoot ya some routes i've done in the past. WV tourism board is set up nice for bikers, gives ya lots of planned routes.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 PM
roadking48
Cruiser

thunder in the valley and mountainfest both are nothing like sturgis. Some vendors, but no partys like sturgis!! Both are worth going to if you live close and nothing better to do, but not a big ride of the year ride..Just my opinion...been to both.. Mountainfest COULD be a great rally but the town of Morgantown needs help to run a great rally but won't seek help so dieing each year from poor managing, TRAFFIC to big events SUCK!!! TRIED GETTING TO TRAVIS TRITT SHOW LAST YEAR SPENT 3 HOURS BEFORE GIVING UP AND WENT BACK TO HOTEL LAST YEAR!!! TRAFFIC NOT MANAGED AT ALL!!! THEY NEED HELP TO MAKE A GOOD RALLY GREAT BUT WON'T ASK HELP!! the towns people love bikers but not enough!!!WON'T GO BACK TILL THEY KNOW HOW TO RUN A RALLY!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From northern Ohio head south into Monroe County and ride 536, Ohio's tail of the Dragon, down the river and hit 555, maybe on over into the Hocking Hills area and try 664. 78 from Mconnelsville to Glouster and see the Rim of the World. Southern and Southeastern Ohio has some fine riding and several roads with kiss your backside turns.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:23 PM
charheep
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the Chicago area also. I like the Galena trip once you get past Rockford, or the Dragon is a nice ride the closer you get. We usually do the Sturgis on the River in Iowa every year (as a rally type ride), but there is little in this area that is fun. I did the loop around Lake Michigan 2 years ago. Its ok, but the upper parts are boring. Sorry, but we live in a boring state.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by jay72
From northern Ohio head south into Monroe County and ride 536, Ohio's tail of the Dragon, down the river and hit 555, maybe on over into the Hocking Hills area and try 664. 78 from Mconnelsville to Glouster and see the Rim of the World. Southern and Southeastern Ohio has some fine riding and several roads with kiss your backside turns.
Everywhere north and south of 33 in hocking hills is killer.. I love that area and get there a couple times a month (sometimes more!)

I grew up in NE Ohio and the only good roads over there are heading south of Canfield on route 9, 39, roswell road, 751... heading towards Newark Ohio... freaking awesome roads in there.

I haven't done WV but here that it is great for biking. And the Tail of the Dragon is just Ok, but not really fun for a cruiser type bike (I do it every year just for the hell of it). I really dig the other roads around the dragon far more.

How about you guys do the skyline drive and blue ridge parkway.. that is about 560 miles total. Start out in Fort Royal WV and then make your way to Gatlinburgh, TN.. then drive around the Smokies and go scare yourself on the dragon. I bet you guys would like that ride.

Good luck deciding, Scary

Old 04-16-2010, 06:55 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I agree about north west ohio being a lackluster ride. I also agree that south eastern Ohio is a blast to ride in. I am not a rally person so I can't comment on them.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 AM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 39 Posts

How about East Coast Sturgis in Little Orleans, MD August 11th - 15th. It's about 50 miles from the top of the Skyline Drive.

Quick Reply: Little Sturgis, Thunder in the valley, Ohio HELP?!?!?