Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Getting Up To Grand Canyon Skywalk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Getting Up To Grand Canyon Skywalk?

Their website says that the last 10 miles is pretty rough, and motorcycles not recommended. Is shuttle bus parking pretty secure, for leaving your bike there for a few hours while out at the Skywalk? Thanks.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Their website says that the last 10 miles is pretty rough, and motorcycles not recommended. Is shuttle bus parking pretty secure, for leaving your bike there for a few hours while out at the Skywalk? Thanks.
My riding partner and I rode up to the Grand Canyon from L.A. last summer and decided to forgo the Skywalk altogether. Lots of horror stories online about it being a complete ripoff. For us, there was enough to see on the south and north rims that we didn't miss it.

Sorry that this doesn't answer your question. Maybe this does: I wouldn't leave my bike that far away from me in an unguarded area for any reason.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
My riding partner and I rode up to the Grand Canyon from L.A. last summer and decided to forgo the Skywalk altogether. Lots of horror stories online about it being a complete ripoff. For us, there was enough to see on the south and north rims that we didn't miss it.

Sorry that this doesn't answer your question. Maybe this does: I wouldn't leave my bike that far away from me in an unguarded area for any reason.
You have a good point. I'm flying to Phoenix from PA, and riding up to Kingman on a rental. Maybe there are a few other things I can see, rather than the skywalk. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 AM
HDPursuit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Rides

We live in Williams, AZ the Gateway to the Canyon. Wouldn't recommend the road to the skywalk. Haven't heard alot of good about it either. There are some great rides around the area. Kingman to Seligman on old Hwy 66. Skull Valley ride off of hwy 93 to Prescott. Phx to Kingman Hwy 93, when you go thru Wikkiup, look for Joe's BBQ on the west side. Awesome lil place. Prescott to Jerome, 122 some odd curves in about 20 miles. Hwy 89 Sedona to Flagstaff thru Oak Creek Canyon. People come from all over the world to see the Red Rocks. BEWARE Hwy 64 from Williams to the Canyon, one of the most dangerous roads around. Tourists in a hurry, passing were they shouldn't. Headons killing alot of folks. I've been run into the shoulder twice getting out of the way of some A-hole trying to pass a motorhome.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Hey Old Bold Pilot --- What about the south rim of the canyon ---- north of Williams? Is that a little more secure & don't have to be away from the bike for as long? Thanks.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDPursuit
We live in Williams, AZ the Gateway to the Canyon. Wouldn't recommend the road to the skywalk. Haven't heard alot of good about it either. There are some great rides around the area. Kingman to Seligman on old Hwy 66. Skull Valley ride off of hwy 93 to Prescott. Phx to Kingman Hwy 93, when you go thru Wikkiup, look for Joe's BBQ on the west side. Awesome lil place. Prescott to Jerome, 122 some odd curves in about 20 miles. Hwy 89 Sedona to Flagstaff thru Oak Creek Canyon. People come from all over the world to see the Red Rocks. BEWARE Hwy 64 from Williams to the Canyon, one of the most dangerous roads around. Tourists in a hurry, passing were they shouldn't. Headons killing alot of folks. I've been run into the shoulder twice getting out of the way of some A-hole trying to pass a motorhome.
Thanks Boss --- This is more of what I'm looking for. I'll be going from Scottsdale to Kingman & staying overnight. Would like to get there early enough to do some of 66, but thought I'd go to Williams & up to the south rim the next day, then back down 64 & down to stay in Sedona that night. Gotta have the bike back in Scottsdale by noon the following day. Thanks for the 64 tip --- I'll make sure I'm wide awake!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 AM
HDPursuit
Cruiser

HWy 93, PHX to Kingman. Old Hwy 66 kingman to AshFork. Hwy 40 Ashfork to Williams, Sultana Saloon for a quick one in Williams. Hwy 64 to Canyon., 64 to Hwy 180,180 to flagstaff, Awesome ride, Hwy 89 to Sedona, I-17 to Phx. When are you heading this way?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDPursuit
HWy 93, PHX to Kingman. Old Hwy 66 kingman to AshFork. Hwy 40 Ashfork to Williams, Sultana Saloon for a quick one in Williams. Hwy 64 to Canyon., 64 to Hwy 180,180 to flagstaff, Awesome ride, Hwy 89 to Sedona, I-17 to Phx. When are you heading this way?
Flying into PHX on Wednesday 5/13 & staying overnight. Renting from Hacienda on Thurs the 13th & heading up to Kingman. Kingman, south rim & Sedona on Fri the 14th. Overnight in Sedona & back to Hacienda with the bike, on Saturday the 15th.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad I read this thread. We'll be riding hwy 64 to GC and then on to 89 heading to Mexican Hat, UT.
Will be sure to watch for Idgitz on the 64. Makes sense. Too many people on that hwy who are too stressed to have a good time.

As for the skywalk. Never been so can't say for sure. But I know someone who has been and said it was great. The area is owned by injuns and not guberment controlled. So it's more of a natural setting. Not overdone by the safety patrol.

I also would not want to park my bike to take the shuttle. But would consider renting a cheap car in Kingman to drive up for the day. That's just me.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:06 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Default Skywalk

I haven't been to the skywalk but a couple of us ride to Meadville for breakfast which is on the way. I have talked to folks about the road and it is true the road is too rough for MCs. Some said they wouldn't drive their cars down it. Also, it costs about $30 some dollars just to walk out on it, don't forget this is not a National Park it is operated and owned by the Indian Tribe. I think the South Rim would serve you very nicely, plenty of pulloffs and your bike is almost always still in sight. Hey, Geezer Glidr, is Joe Picks Bar still open in Wellsboro? I use to live in Galeton and spent many a time in Wellsboro. Great town!

Quick Reply: Getting Up To Grand Canyon Skywalk?