Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Getting Up To Grand Canyon Skywalk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Geezr, a nice ride is east out of Prescott on 69 to 169, up 17 a bit, 260 east, pick up 87 north then SR3 up into Flagstaff and into the south rim of the canyon from there.

I don't know how you're fixed for lodging, but Prescott is a great little town and a good hub for riding the area. Search out a place called the Hotel Vendome. It's about 2 blocks off the town square.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:54 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Flying into PHX on Wednesday 5/13 & staying overnight. Renting from Hacienda on Thurs the 13th & heading up to Kingman. Kingman, south rim & Sedona on Fri the 14th. Overnight in Sedona & back to Hacienda with the bike, on Saturday the 15th.
Bought my Road King from Hacienda back in '04. It was my father's day present to myself (even though I don't have any kids). Saved almost $5K off the dealer's price in Vegas!!!

Decent enough folks...Enjoy!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcollison
Hey Geezr, a nice ride is east out of Prescott on 69 to 169, up 17 a bit, 260 east, pick up 87 north then SR3 up into Flagstaff and into the south rim of the canyon from there.

I don't know how you're fixed for lodging, but Prescott is a great little town and a good hub for riding the area. Search out a place called the Hotel Vendome. It's about 2 blocks off the town square.

Hey John --- I made a hotel reservation in Kingman for the 1st night. Riding from there over to Williams & up to the south rim, and then back down to Sedona for the 2nd night. Have to get the bike back to Hacienda by noon on the 3rd day. I'll write down your route numbers & landmarks. Thx. Jim

Old 04-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by fishcop
I haven't been to the skywalk but a couple of us ride to Meadville for breakfast which is on the way. I have talked to folks about the road and it is true the road is too rough for MCs. Some said they wouldn't drive their cars down it. Also, it costs about $30 some dollars just to walk out on it, don't forget this is not a National Park it is operated and owned by the Indian Tribe. I think the South Rim would serve you very nicely, plenty of pulloffs and your bike is almost always still in sight. Hey, Geezer Glidr, is Joe Picks Bar still open in Wellsboro? I use to live in Galeton and spent many a time in Wellsboro. Great town!
Hey fishcop ---- I changed my plans & I'm staying in Kingman the 1st night. Planning to leave Phx early enough to get up there & ride route 66 a little. Going over to Williams & up to the south rim on the 2nd day, and then back down 64 & staying in Sedona. Gotta have the bike back in Scottsdale by noon the next day & thought it would be an easy enough ride to do that from Sedona. Also, Joe Pick's is long gone! Is that the place that used to be on Main St, next to the shoe store? I bought my bike last May from Larry's. Were they around when you were here?

Old 04-10-2010, 02:05 PM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Asking anyone who's got riding experience leaving Lake Havasu City/Parker, AZ going to Prescott on 95 South, 72, 60, 71 and 89. Plan on going on 89A toward to Jerome/Sedona also. Thanks. Will be renting a Road King from HV HD on Eastern during Laughlin River Run Bike Week.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Everyone have a safe trip though.

Thorey

Old 04-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Rick Ferrin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad I saw this as well! We're shipping our '10 Ultra Limited to Lax (from Orlando) in three weeks, then riding up the coast, over to Yosemite, then down to GC. After a short trip down to Sadona, we're heading across to Atlanta then home to Orlando. Taking 3 weeks for the trip. I'll be looking for good rides once we get out of Az heading east. This is great info! Thanks.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wellsboro

Sorry to hear that Joe Picks is gone. They had some wild women hangout there. Yea Larry's was there, out on Route 6. They were a Yamaha dealer when I lived in Galeton oh about '77 and '78, Bought several Yamaha's from them. Have a great time in AZ. Just remember IT'S A DRY HEAT out here in the desert!! LOL

Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by fishcop
Sorry to hear that Joe Picks is gone. They had some wild women hangout there. Yea Larry's was there, out on Route 6. They were a Yamaha dealer when I lived in Galeton oh about '77 and '78, Bought several Yamaha's from them. Have a great time in AZ. Just remember IT'S A DRY HEAT out here in the desert!! LOL
Larry's has grown quite alot since back then. They have a building now that has probably 50 or 60 new Harleys on the floor, maybe 25 Yamahas, and always 15 or 20 used bikes. I've been out west before --- except for the last 2 or 3 years, been going to Vegas for trade shows, twice a year since 99. I know it's a dry heat --- so's an oven! It'll still melt ice cream!

You ever stayed overnight in Sedona? Gonna make a new post, asking about Sedona. Thanks if you can help me out.

Last edited by Geezr Glidr; 04-12-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sedona

As a matter of fact we were in Sedona this past Jan. But unfortunately, we exchanged for a timeshare so didn't stay at a motel. One thing they are doing a lot of construction on the main street so traffic was a bit of a bitch to get around. Seemed like plenty of motels though. If I can remember the restaurants name, Ill send it. One was a Mexican on right as you head north before crossing a bridge, up on a hill. Very authentic and reasonably priced for Sedona.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 PM
hutch4
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We were to the west rim about three weeks ago. As far as the parking at the shuttle site I think you would be fine. There are employees helping with the parking. We went out to the overlook but choose not to go on the bridge. It was about $30-$40 more after we had already spent $40 to ride the shuttle out to see the GC. The views were great. My only concern would be that there was about 10 miles of gravel road on the way out to the GC.

Quick Reply: Getting Up To Grand Canyon Skywalk?