Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Chicago To Dallas in 2 days

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 PM
ICEMAN028
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago To Dallas in 2 days

Hey Everyone,

I have an oportunity to ride my bike from Chicago to Dallas for a 3 week training class. It starts on the 24th of April and I would return on the 14th of May.

1st any good suggestions on a route that won't be boring? Keep in mind I have to be in Dallas by the afternoon of the 25th and can't leave the wife and kid till the 24th.

2nd what are some good weekday riding locations for the afternoon and for weekends in the DFW area.

Also does anyone know what the weather is usually like that time of year in DFW?

Any help or advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:16 AM
weeT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weather in Dallas this time of year?? Let's see, yesterday morning it was 70 deegrees when I left the house at 6:00 am....this morning it was 46! At 9:00 am there wasn't a cloud in the sky, by noon there was thunder & lightning & rain & WIND!!! Rode the bike to dinner last night, under clear skies, & it was 71 when I left the house & 56 two hours later when I got home. Gotta love this Texas spring weather!

As for afternoon riding in the area, you have to realize that if you are riding east to west, or north to south, through the "DFW" area, you will be riding through "town" for over an hour on the highway....in othere words, it'll take a while to get out to the "country" for a nice peacefull ride. Give me a shout when you get here....maybe we can hook up & ride somewhere....

Old 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM
rosspulliam
3rd Gear

As for afternoon riding in the area, you have to realize that if you are riding east to west, or north to south, through the "DFW" area, you will be riding through "town" for over an hour on the highway....in othere words, it'll take a while to get out to the "country" for a nice peacefull ride. Give me a shout when you get here....maybe we can hook up & ride somewhere....
The time it takes to get out of this concrete mess is the worst part about living here .

Granted I just moved from the Kansas hills just over a year ago, so I'm not quite used to the mess of traffic that is DFW just yet!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:34 PM
MikeyTX

Interesting, I used to live in Montgomery, IL in another life. The ride is easy to break in to two segments. If you come down I-55 to St. Louis, take the I-255 by pass around to the south. It will become I-270. Follow it to I-44. Mid point is St Robert, MO on I-44. Plenty of good motels and places to eat, fuel. Follow I-44 to Big Cabin, OK. Exit onto US 69 south. In McAlester, OK US 69 joins US 75. Follow your nose into the metroplex. The other route is to come across to I-57 and take it south into MO. Pick up I-55 into AR to I-40 at West Memphis. Follow I-40 to Little Rock. Take the bypass to the south around L R to I-30. Follow I-30 into the metroplex. Mid point on this route is Blytheville, AR Again, plenty of motels, food, gas. This is the route I prefer as it is all interstate as opposed to the section of US69/US75 once you leave I-44 in Big Cabin, OK Be forewarned that this section of highway in OK goes through many small towns with stop lights and low speed limits !! They are known speed traps. IE: Atoka, OK ......... Speed limit drops from 70 mph in the county to 35 mph in town in the space of about 500 feet ! Need I say more ?? Enjoy your stay in the Lone Star State. M

Attached Thumbnails Chicago To Dallas in 2 days-lone-star-beer-21136642.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

If you are taking 40 through Little Rock it wouldn't be too far off the beaten path to ride through the Quachitas into Oklahoma. The Talimena Scenic Byway is a nice little ride, plus the ride down the south east edge of Oklahoma isn't bad either.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Doctrey
Tourer

Do you know what part of Dallas you'll be staying in? As already posted, Dallas is a gargantuan city, but that's primarily due to a bunch of smaller cities directly attached to the big city. There are a few good rides that will take you through some winding turns and through some country areas, but they are more towards the outside, northern part of the metroplex. Look me up when you get out here, as well.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 PM
ICEMAN028
Advanced

I will be in North Dallas by Love field. I appreciate the advice. I'm gonna try to ride the 3 sisters next weekend. Thanks for all the advice. Hey WeeT I will pm you this weeks and maybe we can ride sometime while I'm there.
Peace!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 AM
weeT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good, Ice...I'm only about 15-20 minutes from love field....except during rush hour!!! Give me a shout....

Oh, by the way, Love Field is Downtown Dallas, not North Dallas!!

Last edited by weeT; 04-25-2010 at 08:51 AM.