Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Anyone Ride the Austin Area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Wendell Allen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Ride the Austin Area?

The wife and I are makin' our first overnight trip and we've picked Austin for it (we live in Houston). Partly for the party atmosphere of 6th street, but partly for the hill country riding on the north side of the city.

But I'm wondering about something a little more specific. Have ya spent much time riding the hill country around there? I know I wanna hit Oasis on Lake Travis for lunch or dinner probabaly on Saturday, but outside of that, I'm open to any good roads to ride around there. All suggestions welcomed!!!

Cheers!
Wendell

Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/
http://www.openroadjourney.com

Those two websites are a great resource in general no matter where you are or want to go. In your case they will help with your planning. Most think of Texas Hill Country riding as that area SOUTHWEST of Austin, but if you are heading to Travis (Northish) I can't really help you with specifics. Try a search on this forum for Texas Hill Country and it will return well over 200 threads. Google that and it will return at least 4 gazillion. Decide what you want to see and make your own plans. The Grist Mill outside New Braunfels has great tomatillo sauce but I don't plan a ride around getting that stuff. You will see a LOT of reference to the 3 Sisters for good reason. Way too much riding to stuff into a thread. Plan several trips, each to a little different area. Once you narrow it WAY down then search again and you will get plenty of info on good eats, places to see/stay.

Good luck sorting through it all, Austin is a great place to ride FROM. John