Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

To Maine on Hwy 1. WTF to do with NYC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:25 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question To Maine on Hwy 1. WTF to do with NYC?

I posed this question on the touring forum but this is probably the correct place for this. This July my co-pilot and I are taking 15 days to go from Charlotte to Maine and back. On the trip north, we want to stay along the Atlantic coast as much as possible. Once we leave Sandy Hook National Park and start going west along 36, what is the best way to get to New London CT. I really don't want to detour a hundred miles west around the city, and since I have made up my mind to go through it, what is the best way to go? I am thinking 35 to cross the Raritan but after that I'm not sure. I don't need to see Manhattan, been there and done that. Would 278 be the best bet? Or maybe going up Long Island and taking the Orient Point Ferry is a better option? Are there any better 'non slab' highways to take? Maybe some interesting places to stop? My thought is to start out of the Sandy Hook area around 9AM and miss most of the rush hour and hopefully making New Haven before we stop for the night. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to avoid I-95 all together, Riding thru LI to orient point and taking the ferry is a good option. Once you get thru western LI (Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau counties) heading out east is a breeze. Sound Ave, which lead right to the orient ferry is a nice ride, passing thru LI wine country.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:11 PM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by Maimas
If you want to avoid I-95 all together, Riding thru LI to orient point and taking the ferry is a good option. Once you get thru western LI (Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau counties) heading out east is a breeze. Sound Ave, which lead right to the orient ferry is a nice ride, passing thru LI wine country.
If I can miss most of rush hour, how many hours ride is it from Sandy Hook to Orient Point? Following that route, I would like to make the ride to New London (including Ferry) in one day. I don't like the hotel/motel prices I am seeing on the internet to stay over night around Orient Point. Thanks

Old 04-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Orient can be pricey... But New London CT is only an hour and a half ferry ride across the sound. As far as how long will it take you to get to orient, thats a crap shoot. The Island is 140 miles long, and depending on traffic, and the time of day... Well.. From where I live, it takes me about an hour or so to get there. I made it in 45 minutes 1 time, but that was at 7am, heading east. On Long Island, Rush hour traffic heads west in the morning, East in the evening.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:30 PM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by Maimas
Orient can be pricey... But New London CT is only an hour and a half ferry ride across the sound. As far as how long will it take you to get to orient, thats a crap shoot. The Island is 140 miles long, and depending on traffic, and the time of day... Well.. From where I live, it takes me about an hour or so to get there. I made it in 45 minutes 1 time, but that was at 7am, heading east. On Long Island, Rush hour traffic heads west in the morning, East in the evening.
Sweet. That sounds just about right. If we leave the Sandy Hook area in the early morning, getting to New London in one day with maybe a stop at one of the wineries on LI should be doable. Thanks again!

Old 04-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Here is the link to the ferry... Check the schedule. You dont want to miss the last ferry. Just FYI, Bikes always get on the ferry.

https://www.longislandferry.com/Default.asp

Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 AM
bikertrucker
6th Gear

When you arrive in Maine you can run Rt.1, Just be prepared for bumper to bumper traffic(wekends) and there are many many,motels on Rt.1 Make it a point to make a stop at Bentleys Saloon in Arundel,Maine(right on rt 1 north) it really rocks in the summer. You can check it out @ Bentleyssaloon.com. Good Luck and safe riding.From a New Hampshire native-Steve

Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 AM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by bikertrucker
When you arrive in Maine you can run Rt.1, Just be prepared for bumper to bumper traffic(wekends) and there are many many,motels on Rt.1 Make it a point to make a stop at Bentleys Saloon in Arundel,Maine(right on rt 1 north) it really rocks in the summer. You can check it out @ Bentleyssaloon.com. Good Luck and safe riding.From a New Hampshire native-Steve
Thanks, I will do that. We are planning to run Rt 1 as much as possible. Even through the cities. Weekend plans are to hole up in one location and take day rides in to the interior, wherever we end up.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
HDBagger93
Cruiser

I got to New London once buy joining the Navy so whatever route you take will be better than mine! I use to take 287 to the Merrit Parkway and get on 95 near New Heaven. The ferry ride is a good option but requires you through high traffic areas. Try to find out the condition of the roads the last time I was there they were growing potholes.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

After Sandy Hook, take Rt36 north to the Garden State Parkway. Take that north a little less than 60 miles to Rt 87/287. Take that east to the Hutchinson / Merit (Rt.15) north up to Rt. 91 and on up to Rt. 84. The GSP and Merit and Hutch do not allow trucks.

You will avoid the city totally. One word of warning. Don't do it during the peak traffic times or your trip will be lengthened greatly. Don't use Rt. 95 down or back up. Computerized software always routes you that way and it is the worst way to go unless you have to for some reason.

Missing traffic, Sandy Hook to Portsmouth, NH would be a five to six hour trip.

Last edited by rscalzo; 04-07-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply: To Maine on Hwy 1. WTF to do with NYC?