Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Death Valley & Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:52 PM
IronhorseRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Death Valley & Grand Canyon

We're doing a fly and ride to Las Vagas the 1st week in june. Got a touring bilke for 5 days. We've never ridden out west. I need advise on a death valley ride and riding to the grand canyon.

We're thinking about death valley as a day trip from Vegas. Drop into death valley on hwy 178 out of Shoshone, run up the valley and out at Beatty using hwy 95 back to Vegas. Any advise on this would be great. Is it a realistic long day ride? What clothing, road all paved, etc.

Second trip is to the Grand Canyon, south rim, spend the night and then back to Vegas running route 66 on the way back.

As I said, thanks for any advise or suggestions.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:00 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to live out in Az and if you want to really see something unique I would recomend going to see the SUPIA Indian Village (spelling may be wrong) who live in the Grand Canyon.You ride to the top and I was flown down into the village with a Helicopter.The village is well worth seeing and I will not say more as not to spoil it for anyone who has never seen this.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronhorseRider
We're doing a fly and ride to Las Vagas the 1st week in june. Got a touring bilke for 5 days. We've never ridden out west. I need advise on a death valley ride and riding to the grand canyon.

We're thinking about death valley as a day trip from Vegas. Drop into death valley on hwy 178 out of Shoshone, run up the valley and out at Beatty using hwy 95 back to Vegas. Any advise on this would be great. Is it a realistic long day ride? What clothing, road all paved, etc.

Second trip is to the Grand Canyon, south rim, spend the night and then back to Vegas running route 66 on the way back.

As I said, thanks for any advise or suggestions.
I've been to Death Valley twice on my bike and I think to experience Death Valley you might wanna make it like a day and a half ride. If you start out from Las Vegas to Beatty, NV using hwy 95 its about 125 miles one way. And from Beatty to Scotty's Castle is like another 55 miles one way.
From Las Vegas I'd suggest seeing Red Rock Canyon first,,,, which is off Charleston Blvd or Hwy 159. Red Rock is a one way loop...from there go through Pahrump, NV using Hwy 160 which is a nice ride in its self. Hwy 160 will take you to Hwy 95. Turn left there (West) and you're about 2/3 of the way to Beatty, NV. Watch your speed and observe the speed limits going throuh Pahrump and Beatty.
Scotty's Castle is North of Beatty....Hwy 95 to Left on Hwy 267 and you'll run into it about 30 miles down the road. From there you can take the "Back Road" out of Scotty's on "Scotty's Castle Road" to hwy 190. Make a Right turn on Hwy 190 for approx 15-16 miles to Stovepipe Wells. There is a small airport, fuel, drinks, snacks and a sign that you will want your picture taken by. Below Sea Level
Now refreshed turn around go back the way you came on Hwy 190 heading towards Furnace Creek NV where you'll make a Right turn on Badwater Road ...take Badwater to a Left Turn at Artists Drive ....which is another one way loop like Red Rock was. From Artists Drive go back out to Hwy 190 and head east to Hwy 127 North at Death Valley Junction.....Hwy 127 will turn into Hwy 373 which will take you north to Hwy 95 again...at that point you're probably more than half way to Vegas..Just take Hwy 95 east back to Vegas.
Have a great ride...

Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Death Valley/ Grand Canyon

Your trip to Death Valley will be a good but long day. It should be warm actually DV will probably be in the low to mid 90's if not 100. One thing check your rental contract and be sure to tell the rental people that you are going to Death Vally. Some rental contracts prohibit travel to Death Valley during the summer months, not sure when that begins, mght be July. In any case, if you violate the contract and break down in Death Valley, you own the bike. I know Eagle Rider has a phase in their contract about Death Valley. So, be sure and check it out. Gas is plentiful, expensive but plentiful. Gas at Shoshone, Furnace creek, Stovepipe Wells and sometimes Scotty's castle has gas. Gas is also avail in Beatty. Be sure and take the artist's drive that one poster mentioned it is really interesting with some tight twisties. The Grand Canyon is about 250+ from Vegas. That is a loong day trip. One thing here the traffic over Hoover Dam can be really backed up on Sunday coming from AZ back to Vegas. I would recommend that if it looks like you will hit the dam about 1or 2 in the afternoon, take the route out of Kingman to Laughlin, NV then 93 back to Vegas. It adds about 40 miles to the trip but I have sat in traffic on the dam for over an hour and that is not fun on a very warm MC. Anything else I can help you with just PM me. Have a great time, June is a good month before the real heat begins!!! LOL