Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Eastern Seaboard Ride -Baltimore MD to Charleston SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010 | 12:09 AM
NAUIdvr1
|
Tourer
Default Eastern Seaboard Ride -Baltimore MD to Charleston SC

Me & a riding buddy are heading out on Thursday (3-18-2010) to ride the Eastern Seaboard from Baltimore, MD to Savannah & Augusta, GA. Should be about 1600-1700 miles round trip. We just decided on the trip today, been talking about it for about a week. We are going to go East from Baltimore, MD to the Delaware coast, ride down the coast into the North Carolina Outer Banks, run the whole Outer Banks, jump on a couple of ferries, finally get back to the mainland and continue south, sticking to the coast, until we feel like turning around. Possibly 3-10 days. How’s that for a get outta town, I'm glad spring is here, Fu_k it, let’s ride getaway?

We plan on riding each day until we feel like stopping, and finding a place to stay off the cuff (using our GPS's of course).

Anybody think there are some must see sites on our route?

Last edited by NAUIdvr1; 03-26-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2010 | 04:43 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

Should be a good trip and the weather is FINALLY going to be dry!!! Excellent timing!

Old 03-16-2010 | 06:06 AM
runnhrd
Road Master

I road down to Charleston a year ago for work so took 95 down but on the way back stayed on the coast. Ride along the coast roads was fantastic from Norfolk all the way. When in Charleston took the tour of the Navy Carrier out in the harbor and yes enjoyed the night life in town. When riding though the OuterBanks this time of year you dont have to worry as much about the folks not paying attention to traffic but still watch. When down there last July had four cagers pull out infront of me. The folks that run the ferry were real great about the bike during the runs. So enjoy the trip and just take it slow and enjoy the views.

Old 03-16-2010 | 08:47 AM
NAUIdvr1
|
Tourer

Runnhrd,
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like we're going to really enjoy this ride!

Old 03-16-2010 | 09:02 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior

I also live in Bel Air and have done this route a couple of times, we will also be going this route next month for Outer Banks Bike Week.
The last time I did it was Myrtle Beach Bike Week couple of years ago and we stayed the first night on Ocracoke Island it was a blast.
The Bridge Tunnel into Va. is vey cool, stop at the rest area half way across but pay attention it comes up on you quickly, almost missed it.
Have fun.

Old 03-16-2010 | 09:26 AM
NAUIdvr1
|
Tourer

GymRat523,
We plan on making it to the outer banks and stopping there for the 1st night. When is outer banks bike week? Might have to do a second ride!

Old 03-16-2010 | 09:57 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior

4/18 to 4/25, it's usually a small event but with the issues at Myrtle Beach I think it will be big this year.

Old 03-16-2010 | 11:55 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

Downtown Charleston is great but an expensive place to spend the night. If you're looking for something more off the beaten path, check out Folly Beach. It's more of a beach-bum area and has a few, uh, "interesting" bars at the "T." About halfway out there on the tidal flats is a little restaurant called the Anchor Line. Everything is fried, but everything is also fresh off the boat. It was my favorite place when I was in college down there! (hope it's still open).

Like someone else posted, the USS Yorktown is a neat tour. If you're a history buff, by all means take a boat out to Fort Sumter - first shots of the Civil War were fired here. Also, the remains of Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island are pretty cool, too. (It's right beside the lighthouse.)

For great food in Charleston - Hyman's Seafood, Poogan's Porch, Magnolia, Juanita Greenberg's Burrito Palace.

Old 03-17-2010 | 01:52 AM
NAUIdvr1
|
Tourer

Thanks for all the tips! I will check out folly beach one night.

Old 03-19-2010 | 11:36 PM
NAUIdvr1
|
Tourer

Update: We're having such a blast, we decided to continue on thru, to Savannah, GA, before turning the bikes around and heading home. Currently we are in Wilmington, NC and will be heading to Savannah, GA tomorrow. What a great time! I'm already looking forward to our next trip and I'm not even done with this one yet!

Last edited by NAUIdvr1; 03-21-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Eastern Seaboard Ride -Baltimore MD to Charleston SC