Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cooperstown NY to Laconia

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:45 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooperstown NY to Laconia

When we leave Jersey to head up to Laconia we usually stop in Cooperstown NY to visit relatives the weekend before the rally. A really nice ride over to Laconia is taking Rt 7 which eventually turns into Rt 9. It's mostly 40 to 50 mph back roads, a lot of neat roadside diners and some interesting small town sights along the way.

I'm not a big fan of miles and miles of boring interstate and I sure don't like riding through White Plains NY on the way up to Laconia.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:09 PM
foxhd
Cruiser

Some time, stop at the Tent outside of Keene for a break. The people are very generous, feed you well, and ask for nothing in return. It has been a welcome rest during some of those cold rainey years.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

FoxHd, Do you mean the Christian tent that offers coffee to weary travelers? If so, I think I remember it but never stopped in. I may stop there though.

I've been on Rt 9 going to Laconia where I've been so Hot I felt like I was ready to burst into flames, I had to stop one time in particular on the side of the road to strip off some clothes because I was at my breaking point with the heat. But yet another time (in the days before heated clothing) I was riding with a friend and remember stopping and getting off the bikes to stand under a bridge to try and warm up, it was one of the worst downpours of icy cold rain I can recall. We were standing there soaking wet shivering from hypothermia.

There is a small town near Keene that has horse statues everywhere. I think they have some sort of contest to see what statue is painted up the best, I've seen solid gold horses, red white & blue horses. Horses painted up with many different designs. it was interesting.

Originally Posted by foxhd
Some time, stop at the Tent outside of Keene for a break. The people are very generous, feed you well, and ask for nothing in return. It has been a welcome rest during some of those cold rainey years.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:05 PM
foxhd
Cruiser

Yep. The christian tent. In the beginning I did not want to stop and be preached to. But that was my mistake. No one does that in any way or form. You often have to pull info out of them regarding their support for the riders. They've always told me," Make sure you have enough to eat, and make sure you stop on the way back." They do not ask or expect donations, (but there is a bottle or bucket where you can drop in a couple buck but not in an obvious place. I've found this out with time.)...One year, I was so wet and cold, that when I stopped, I was frozen to the bone. I could not even hold a cup of coffee. (no lie). Some guy took off his duster and covered me up. Brought food to me. An hour later , I was ready to ride on. And they WOULDN"T even take any donation! ..So I managed to get their home address and when I got home I sent them a $20 check. Any way, I stop most years and always when a new rider rides up with me.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by foxhd
Yep. The christian tent. In the beginning I did not want to stop and be preached to. But that was my mistake. No one does that in any way or form. You often have to pull info out of them regarding their support for the riders. They've always told me," Make sure you have enough to eat, and make sure you stop on the way back." They do not ask or expect donations, (but there is a bottle or bucket where you can drop in a couple buck but not in an obvious place. I've found this out with time.)...One year, I was so wet and cold, that when I stopped, I was frozen to the bone. I could not even hold a cup of coffee. (no lie). Some guy took off his duster and covered me up. Brought food to me. An hour later , I was ready to ride on. And they WOULDN"T even take any donation! ..So I managed to get their home address and when I got home I sent them a $20 check. Any way, I stop most years and always when a new rider rides up with me.
Nice story to hear! I'll definately stop in next time.