Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Latest on BRP Storm Damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:31 AM
madmax54
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

80 begins at Loafers Glory. I believe Iron Mt. is southeast of there.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

Hi-80 runs from hi-70 in marion to c-226a and stops there. This piece of 226a runs from Bakersville west towards Redhill. Don't miss a meal or atleast a break at Bonnie and Clydes in Loffers Glorry .Once at Redhill turn back south and cross the train track and run till you find double island road, that will be the first left in a curve on the river off 197 from Redhill. Now this road will also offer some nice curvy roads and run you back to Micaville. This is where you also can find hi-80 heading south again or towards more great roads. Most of what was just wrote down you can't find on a regular map. Thats one reason i say to get a NC atlas and gazeett from wally world. Some road names are not right but you can still follow the roads. There are days worth of roads here that will make your day. Great scenery, many river rides and hilly curvy roads. Just make the loop from LDS- Little Downtown Switzerland off the BR on 226a that will take you on another of those curvy roads down the mountain then back up the easy road(226) and then back to the BR and turn left on 226a . When you get to LSD again go by it ,up a same hill and follow that road till you get to hi-19 again. With all the roads around Yancey and Mitchell county we take for granted alot and the small friendly motels and B&B's to stay inn this area does make for a good long weekend trip to see many sites anound the mid half of the NC mountians .

Old 03-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hardluk1
Hi-80 runs from hi-70 in marion to c-226a and stops there. This piece of 226a runs from Bakersville west towards Redhill. Don't miss a meal or atleast a break at Bonnie and Clydes in Loffers Glorry .Once at Redhill turn back south and cross the train track and run till you find double island road, that will be the first left in a curve on the river off 197 from Redhill. Now this road will also offer some nice curvy roads and run you back to Micaville. This is where you also can find hi-80 heading south again or towards more great roads..
We will be staying in Maggie Valley for a full week. On one day I'm thinking about going up to Hot Springs and then go east via 25, 213, and 19 to Burnsville. I see that from there I could go up 197 to Red Hill. Once in Red Hill I see that we can get to 80 to go south to 70. Is 197 a good fun road? Or is Double Island Road much better? Are these roads OK for larger touring bikes?

Once we get back to 70 we would probably head back on I-40 to get back to Maggie Valley since we will be running out of time that day. The trip will be 210 miles as is and take 5 1/2 hours saddle time. So I can't add much more to this ride. Would it be better to do this loop clockwise or counter-clockwise?

On another day we plan to head up BRP from I-40 at Asheville to at least 221 and come back south on 221. This ride from Maggie Valley will be about 190 miles and almost 5 hours saddle time. We could make this ride a little longer so what would you suggest?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

Ozoneman Sounds like the start of a good ride. Now if i can get the road numbers right take 209 off of hi-19 north and cross I-40 and all the way to Hot Springs. Then run 25/70 toward Mars Hill and on to Burnsville. Sounds like you got most of this covered. 197 is just a nice main road here in yancey county so avoid unless time gets tight. Ride Double Island road back toward Red Hill and work back towords bakersville till you can get on c-80 again and head south. That will take you down to c-70 west of marion . Turn right and back towards Asheville you go. OR when your on hi-19 heading towards burnsville you will see a turn off for hi-19w. This part will run you north toward Erwin tenn. Turn right on huntdale road and run more or less east ,cross the river again in 4 or 5 miles and run down the river back to Red Hill and on to loafers glorry and hi-80 heading south. Run clock wise, you don't want to take any chance on asheville's morning related traffic patterns. It can get thick miles out . Check your PM

Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 AM
tbell
Cruiser

all that is great riding i live near the tn-nc line where 107 turns into 226 going toward red hill its about 45 minuets to loafers glory and planty of curves and very little traffic.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hardluk1
Ride Double Island road back toward Red Hill and work back towords bakersville till you can get on c-80 again and head south. That will take you down to c-70 west of marion . Turn right and back towards Asheville you go. OR when your on hi-19 heading towards burnsville you will see a turn off for hi-19w. This part will run you north toward Erwin tenn. Turn right on huntdale road and run more or less east ,cross the river again in 4 or 5 miles and run down the river back to Red Hill and on to loafers glorry and hi-80 heading south.
Which road would be better for baggers, Double Island or 19w/Huntdale Road?

I see a road that goes off of Double Island Road called NC-1314 and takes you to Toecane Road and Toecane. Would that be a good way to go to get over to 80 if I take Double Island Road?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

Most of that road is a dirt road between toecane and double island road , maybe just not a good harley road. The locals can run it fairly quickly and it does not leave much time to get out of the way on a bagger and if wet can be just plan dangerous. Same with 197 from burnsville towards barnardsville. The windy section at the county line is also dirt and gravel with a washboard finsh . That might be the onlt 2 roads like that around here. You do your home work on these roads ,not many find toecane road.
I think 19w to huntdale and across would be a better ride but you can still ride both roads. You do get a good ride on the river part way then on to Redhill and go down Double island rd to 80-s on to hi-70 . Got to ride that lower section of 80 atleast once. If time allows turn left just past the lake on 80-s ,that takes you back to 221/226. Turn up 226 toward sprues pine and depending ?? come up the mountain on 226a then back toward asheville on the BR with maybe a Mt Mitchell stop along the way. Hard to cover all the better roads in the area in one day.

Last edited by hardluk1; 03-09-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

I assume your answer was for the second question in my last post. What about the first question? By the way, thanks for all this information you are sharing.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

madmax next time your up this way drop a message and maybe ride a bit.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

Both answers are there ,,i think ,, just back asswords been under the weather and seems like i just ain't pay'n attention sometime. Just plan on ride'n both 19w/huntdale ,that takes you north and then east. Then double island south back hi-19 at micaville and then hi-80s towards hi-70. Won't cost any real time. But hay ,your ride and time management . I know how that can push a trip. Seems i never get to see all i plan when going some where to ride a weekend away.

Quick Reply: Latest on BRP Storm Damage