Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Glacier Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
bennenrkc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glacier Trip

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/291562

I am planning on take this trip from Des Moines to Des Moines Roundtrip. On June 11-26th.

Any extra roads or routes to take would be appreciated.

As well things to pack, we are planning on camping, and either staying at a KOA, hotel or someplace with a laundromat every three to four days to keep the smell down.

Planning on either eating out, or grocery shopping everynight.

This will be my first longer than weekend trip and need all the advice I can get.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 PM
treeman
Advanced

when i rode from Indiana to Florida i took two camping chairs the kind that go in the bag and a tent. dont for get the sleepingbags lol i did frozze my ares off. the bag chairs is worth it when you get there and want to sit .

Old 03-02-2010, 12:21 AM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

At Butte, MT, head east towards Bozeman and on to Red Lodge, MT. I'd suggest staying here instead of West Yellowstone. Check out the Yodeler Motel (Red Lodge). Ride Beartooth Pass (212) and then go into Yellowstone NP through the NE Entrance. IMHO, the Lamar Valley (northeast part of the park) is the most beautiful part of Yellowstone. The road from Tower-Canyon-Lake Village is my 2nd favorite. Unless you have your heart set on exiting at the South entrance and staying at Grand Teton, I would say don't do it. Reason #1 - From Grant Village to the South Entrance is not pretty. One big burn scar. Reason #2 - That road is under some serious construction. Ride around the lake instead. Head east over Sylvan Pass and out the east Entrance on US-14 to Cody, WY. Stay east on 14 as far as you like, but at least until you cross the Bighorn Mtns on Alt-14. "And that's all I have to say about that."

Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried posting a good reply last night, but...........(you've heard about the reply issues, haven't you)

+1 on avoiding West Yellowstone. West is a big center of the local meth trade and full of illegals living in garages. The nice friendly mom and pop that smile when you check in are employing "parkies" who are so tweaked out that they don't mind the schitty wage and never make enough to get out of town. My taxes pay for all the extra LEOs down there (including DEA) and the state rehab for those arrested. Frickin' awesome. But I digress....

Red Lodge is a great little town. The new restaurant at the brewery is cool. I also stay at the Yodeler when there.

In Yellowstone, I suggest doing more than what you've got. Granted, that is one of the more scenic parts of the park, but you should really go past West Thumb and go up the Hayden Valley, at the least.

But, I actually suggested trying to squeeze in an extra day between Glacier and Yellowstone. That is a long haul, bro. And you'll be missing that classic ride along Flathead Lake! If you add an extra night in there, I can point you to some great back road riding in Montana.

Also, Jackson is expensive. If you ain't Harrison Ford, it is expensive. If you don't mind camping, try camping in GTNP.

The ride from Moran Jct to Riverton/Shoshoni is great. There is always a little construction in the west--folks need the work, even if the roads don't--but the ride over Togwotee is amazing.

Also, in Montana, I'd suggest staying on I-90 all the way to Three Forks, and then head up towards Helena, then through the canyon to GF.

Taking the 212 shortcut from Bell Fourche through Broadus and to the Little Bighorn is a great ride! And it'll save you an hour over taking I-90 from the Black Hills.

If you have more specific questions, I cvan give you more specific answers. Glad to help.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Make sure and stay in Red Lodge and stop at Bearcreek and watch the pigs run around the track. Beartooth is amazing. The big Horns are very nice also. You have endless possiblities in Wyoming area. My dad was in Glacier and said it was amazing. I hope to amke that trip sometime soon. Enjoy the ride. Bring extra clothes up top. We were riding in 50 degrees going over Big Horns and in the 40's at Beartooth in beginning of August last year

Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

forgot to tell you to take HWY 44 across South Dakota rather than the interstate. Much better

Old 03-02-2010, 12:47 PM
strohkr
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Beartooth/Glacier

This will be my 9th year doing Beartooth - never ceases to amaze me. Yeah, stay in Red Lodge - great little town. You might want to check out "Inn on the Beartooth" - it's a BB and goes for about the same rate as a motel - great people and their breakfast fills ya up! Only downside is it's a couple of miles out of town. You also have to ride Chief Joseph's Hwy while you're there - if you don't you'll regret it - one of the great rides. If you get to Glacier - do the Going to the Sun Road both ways - totally different. And if it's hot out ride through the water coming out of the "weeping wall" - it's a hoot! Also go all the way into Canada and check out the Prince of Wales Hotel - the view from the main Hall is one that you'll never forget.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
blackndecker
Cruiser

"Going to the Sun Highway" will etch in your minds eye forever! A must see. Why not move your time to August and take in Sturgis?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:25 PM
deluxeroad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a great ride! Be sure to bring your rain and wet weather gear. Growing up in Kalispell, MT I can assure you could run into foul weather even in late June at Glacier and Waterton, so be prepared. The ride south from Kalispell to Bigfork and through the Swan country is beautiful and a ride you will definitely enjoy.

As Faber noted, stay away from West Jellystone. We went through there last July and it was a joke, traffic, long lines, etc. Lodging is horrendously overpriced at Jackson. We stayed further south at Alpine Junction, WY where we got a great room and full breakfast for two for just over $100. Expect $250+ at Jackson. FABER is very familiar with this area from all the posts I read from him and I would not hesitate to take him up on his offer to help or provide you with info that is more detailed.

We both hope you have a memorable ride and get back to visit the West…a lot to see!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Listen to Faber he knows Montana and WY better then most . I heard the same things about Jackson over priced and West Yellowstone.
Outside of Glacier NP in west Glacier there is a KOA camp ground that I have stayed it's not far from the Park has a pool and laundromat.

Quick Reply: Glacier Trip