Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Motorcycle/Train travel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Skygoose
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle/Train travel?

I'd sure like to ride some of the scenic byways in the American west but I live in St. Louis and don't have the time it would take to ride my bike out and back and do the touring I'd like while there. I know that Amtrack has car trains that operate between Washington and Florida where you can take your car or motorcycle with you on the train. This would be a great way to travel, I think. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced such travel opportunities operating out of the midwest and serving the west (or any other locations for that matter)?

Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome idea.

I've got the same problem.....TIME

Sounds like a romantic way to see the country. Cut down on and utilize down time better.

Interested to see what others may know or contribute to this.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
hiwaytime
Advanced

Kinda wish you had not told us about the train that hauls motorcycles. Gota put that on the bucket list now. I enjoy riding the trains new and old. I've had my bikes on many boats but not trains. I have never heard of a train out west that hauls personal vehicles, can't say for sure that there isn't just never heard of such a thing.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 PM
ElectraEd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Skygoose
I'd sure like to ride some of the scenic byways in the American west but I live in St. Louis and don't have the time it would take to ride my bike out and back and do the touring I'd like while there. I know that Amtrack has car trains that operate between Washington and Florida where you can take your car or motorcycle with you on the train. This would be a great way to travel, I think. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced such travel opportunities operating out of the midwest and serving the west (or any other locations for that matter)?
I work for a railroad. I know one thing. If I want to be somewhere at a certain time and on time, I sure as hell wouldn't ride Amtrak!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Dan1127
Road Master

I think that would be a great trip. I will add this to my bucket list. If it exists. Ya 100

Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Skygoose
Advanced

Originally Posted by ElectraEd
I work for a railroad. I know one thing. If I want to be somewhere at a certain time and on time, I sure as hell wouldn't ride Amtrak!

Does your railroad offer a service like this? Or do you know of anyone who does? Just askin'.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 AM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skygoose
Does your railroad offer a service like this? Or do you know of anyone who does? Just askin'.
As far as passenger service, Amtrak is the only operator I have been able to find of any kind of auto train service. Theirs only runs between Lorton, VA (just south of DC) and Sanford, Florida (a bit north or Orlando).

The auto train is pretty nice, but it takes a lot of infrastructure to load / unload vehicles, hence the service only operates between those two stations.

Matt

Old 03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've looked into train travel a few times, not with bike, just as alternative to driving or air.
I've always found that train travel seems to be expensive and very slow transit times. I would like to travel by train for the experience and views, but never found it to be worth the cost, For ME. This is just what I've found.

If you're short on time and you simply want to ride your bike out west, why not ship your bike ahead of time, by rail or truck, then you fly out to meet it?

Of course you can also rent a bike out here, but I'm guessing the idea is you want to ride your own.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't think you'll save time by riding the train. It does sound like a cool combination for a trip -- train and motorcycle -- but I don't see it as a timesaver. Shipping your bike, however, would work. I would guess you could have it shipped to just about any HD dealer and then pick it up there.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Old_Homicide
Stage IV

forget the train ride your bike

Quick Reply: Motorcycle/Train travel?