Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Things you can't miss if you are headed to Sturgis.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Led Zeppelin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Things you can't miss if you are headed to Sturgis.

I know there's been a lot of threads about heading to Sturgis. Such as places to stay, etc. I'm planning on finally going this year and what I'd like you know is if you're headed there, what are some of the things you just can't miss. I'm talking about the sights, sounds, places, and experiences that go down as something you'll remember. Such as

Old 02-25-2010, 04:18 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well all the vendors, bars and campgrounds in and near Sturgis are obvious. I would say don't forget about the Black Hills. Every road through them is incredible and there are numerous small out of the way places to stop for sustenance. Just ride the twisties with the intention of stopping when you see a bar alongside the highway. I think the touristy stops like Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore are rip-offs. Check out all the towns like Hills, Spearfish and Hot Springs. Just ride, man, and you can't go wrong.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

The riding is the thing. The debauchery and such you can find any where, cept Utah.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:27 PM
softailMamaJama
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iron mountain road

Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 PM
WebWolf
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 18 Posts

Take Hwy 44 out of Rapid City east bound across the bottom of the BadLands! Make sure you fill your tank BEFORE leaving Rapid City. It is over 100 miles to the next fuel stop in the town of Interior where you turn and go north into the park again. It is one of the more memorable rides and it is very isolated but one of my wife's and I favorite ride there. When you get to the park's main building, pull in for a brat and bud for 5 bucks and sit at a picnic table and watch the bikes go by, life don't get any better then that!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Webwolf, That's an awesome looking ride. I just flew it on Google Earth and it looks amazing. Thanks for posting the tip!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Coming in from MN - be a tourist and stop at Wall Drug. Great milk shakes...

Old 02-26-2010, 08:00 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by WebWolf
Take Hwy 44 out of Rapid City east bound across the bottom of the BadLands! Make sure you fill your tank BEFORE leaving Rapid City. It is over 100 miles to the next fuel stop in the town of Interior where you turn and go north into the park again. It is one of the more memorable rides and it is very isolated but one of my wife's and I favorite ride there. When you get to the park's main building, pull in for a brat and bud for 5 bucks and sit at a picnic table and watch the bikes go by, life don't get any better then that!
A big +1 on this 'un. I'll put another spin on it...roll into Interior on your way to Sturgis, and spend the night there...there's a couple motels there, and a KOA with cabins just east of town on highway 44. Then, get up and do an early morning ride thru the Badlands...we actually got up early enough to do a sunrise ride thru the park...outstanding!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:10 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a great time riding around Sturgis, but it was real crowded. Honestly I had more fun on the ride out stopping in small towns and out of the way places. One the ride back I left on 85 down through Wyoming to Colorado and rode through Rocky Mountain National Park. It was a blast, but if you decide to go that way make sure to bring your leathers. Sturgis was fun, but I doubt I will make the trip again, at least not during the rally.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Led Zeppelin
Tourer

Originally Posted by WebWolf
That sounds like a great ride.

Quick Reply: Things you can't miss if you are headed to Sturgis.