Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southern California to Zion and Bryce

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I being realistic with the following plan? Will I have enough time to ride and see the stuff at the NPs?

After staying in Marble Canyon, leave for North Rim and do Cape Royal lookout and then make Kanab in one day?

Next day leave Kanab to see Zion NP and Bryce Canyon in one day and stay in Topic for the night?

I don't know if I am giving myself enough time to travel and see the NPs.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigLowRider
http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisi...servations.htm

Most National Park passes are good for 7 days. You will pay $12 for you and the bike and another $12 for your passenger = $24. Bryce will cost you the same. A yearly pass is $80 and allows for you, your vehicle, and 3 passengers.

BigLow
+1 used the NP Pass on my recent trip and it paid for itself. Just buy it right before you go since they expire 1 year from issue. You can also pick them up at the park entrance, but I'd think the paperwork would slow you down a bit.

If you ride with the same person a lot (who rides their own), it may be worth splitting the cost of it with him as 2 people can sign one card. Your passenger doesn't need to be the 2nd signature, just like car/RV passengers don't need to be the signor. For instance, if both you and your friend, who are "sharing" the card, are riding into the park together (1 card - 2 sigs)...even if both of you have passengers...none of you pay. They DO check i.d. - esp at the big parks. I split the cost of mine with a friend since we both had our own bikes so it worked out well.

Hope all that makes sense!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Soft06
My wife and I are planning another road trip. This time from Southern California to Zion National Park and Bryce National Park right after Memorial Day, so basicly the first week of June. We have plenty of time but I think now is when we need to start making our reservations for lodging. I have never been to either park so I'm turning to the experience of the forum members. The trip to Zion from So. Calif is right at 400 miles one way, straight up the 15 Fwy. I was wondering where you guys (and gals) would recommend to stay the first night. I'm thinking, ride 320-350 miles the first day to our lodging...then get up the next morning and continue on to Zion.
Then stay somewhere between Zion and Bryce for our second night.
Any help will be greatly apprieciated on where to stay, towns etc...roads to travel, thing to MAKE sure to see. I have to admit, I'm not to crazy about the idea of getting on the 15 FWY north and playing "Mazda" (zoom zoom zoom) all the way to Zion. I even considered taking the 40 east off the 15 to the 95 north even tho it's alot more miles that way. So as you can see, I need help.
Thanking you in advance...
And ride safe...
If you'd like to skip the 15, go to Palm Springs. Take the 62 towards Yucca Valley. Hutchins Harley is on your right. Go to 29 Palms and go north on Utah Trail and then east on Amboy Rd. to Amboy. Go east on the 66 (National Trails Hiway) to Kelbaker Rd. north. Follow that to Kelso Cima Rd. to Cima. Don't blink, you'll miss it. North on Morning Star Mine Rd. to Nipton. West to the 15 and you'll be just south of the Prima Donna. Stay there and ride the roller coaster or continue N on the 15 to Vegas. It's a good road with an old train depot restored as a museum on the way. It used to be the fastest route from Vegas to Palm Springs and is a much better ride than the 15 raceway.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

A wealth of information. Once again. HD Forums members come through!
I have printed all the ideas and will go over them with my riding parnter. Once again thank you all.
And ride safe...

Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
Am I being realistic with the following plan? Will I have enough time to ride and see the stuff at the NPs? I don't know if I am giving myself enough time to travel and see the NPs.
Day one sounds fine. There's not much at the North Rim unless you find yourself stuck at the bar. The ride into the north rim is the best part!

Day 2...that's a lot to see, especially if you want to see the parks, not just ride through. It's possible, but that will be one loooooonnng day! You might want to consider breaking this up into 2 days if you can.

Have fun!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:02 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
Next day leave Kanab to see Zion NP and Bryce Canyon in one day and stay in Topic for the night?
The biggest problem with this plan is that it deprives you of the opportunity to see Cedar Breaks. Consider doing Zions, then as TBB suggests do Cedar Breaks on your way to Bryce and spend the night there, at Ruby's Inn. If you've bought the pass, you can ride through Bryce that evening, but you won't be rushed to get through it that night and also try to get to Torrey. The next day you can check out Bryce again (it will look different at sunrise than it did at sunset) and then ride a loop along Hwy 12, up to Richfield, and back down 89 (not 69 -- somebody's Freudian slip) and spend a second night at Ruby's Inn.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 PM
hiwaytime
Advanced

The easiest place to stay the first night is in St George, lot of motels and no problem getting a room. there are motels in Springdale at the entrance to Zion but they are booked well in advance by folks from all over the world. From St George go up I-15 to exit 16 which goes to the park. When you come off I-15, Zion HD is on the right. They have really cool Ts with the park on them. Go to Zion and spend the day, ride the buses up the canyon, you catch them at the Vis center. When you leave Zion out the west side there are motels in Mount Carmel Jct. and there are also motels up Hwy 89 and if you have to go all the way to Panguich, there are a lot of motels there. Spend the 2nd day in Bryce canyon and enjoy every bit of it. The suggestion to ride Hwy 12 is a good one. there are little motels in Escalante, Torrey and others along the way. Hwy12 is worth the ride if you are not in a hurry. I envy you if you are seeing Zion and Bryce for the fist time just be prepared to be blown away especially if you like tunnels with windows in them. Happy Trails

Old 02-27-2010, 08:54 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by hiwaytime
The easiest place to stay the first night is in St George, lot of motels and no problem getting a room.
The Ramada Inn in St. George is friendly, clean, and usually has rooms available for very good rates. I've paid as low as $50/night, including taxes. If you're coming from California/Southern Nevada, you can usually get a really reasonble price on a room in Mesquite, NV.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:05 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
The Ramada Inn in St. George is friendly, clean, and usually has rooms available for very good rates. I've paid as low as $50/night, including taxes. If you're coming from California/Southern Nevada, you can usually get a really reasonble price on a room in Mesquite, NV.
We stayed in Washington...not much farther up the road from St George (18 miles???) so it's a tad closer to Zion N.P. There is a nice Holiday Inn Express right across the parking lot from the Harley Dealership (Zion H-D). Very biker friendly hotel and it was either new or very recently remodeled. What is cool, they have bike lockers...which resemble a storage bldg. For something like and extra $5 (each bike), you can rent one and drive your bike right in and lock the door. Not a necessity, but a nice option. It was nice, for once, being able to leave a bunch of things on the bike, that I didn't need in the room, w/o worry of them getting stolen. I wish more hotels had these, but can see how the cost wouldn't make much sense. We paid $100/nt incl bkst. AAA rate, on Sept 11, 2009

Old 03-10-2010, 01:51 PM
blackndecker
Cruiser

If there is any chance to take Scenic Byway 12 to Torrey, take it! The trip east to Arches is well worth it too. Went through last year, remarkable

Last edited by blackndecker; 03-10-2010 at 01:58 PM.