Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Looking for Advice on a Waco, TX to Big Bend. TX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
texanmojo.com
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Advice on a Waco, TX to Big Bend. TX

Taking a butt burner from Waco to the Big Bend area of Texas in early April. The drive there will be brutal...but hope to enjoy Alpine, the Indian Lodge and the desert in the area.

Anyone suggest things to do down there?

Thank
Rich

Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 AM
bamarider
Tourer

You will enjoy that ride. Look east of Big Bend and you will find a town called Lantry. That is the town of Judge Roy Bean. They made a movie starring Paul Newman in the 70"s called The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. His home and saloon is now owned by the state. They have a film and a museum. If you could see the movie prior to going it would make the stop more enjoyable. In fact google him and it will give you some insight. Enjoy!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 PM
texanmojo.com
Novice

Thanks bamarider, I'll check it out!

Old 02-20-2010, 01:11 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

It's a long but easy 1 day ride to Marathon or Alpine from Waco, that puts you on the edge of the Big Bend Parks.
There are two seperate parks, Big Bend Ranch State Park and Big Bend National park.
If you're willing to ride gravel/sand check out Old Maverick Road just a mile or two south of Study Butte.
It cuts across to the Santa Elena Canyon, check out Luna's Jacal along the way.
The gravel is pretty good most of the way but be careful on the sand, it gets deep someplaces and can slow you down quick.
You can ride a loop this way without backtracking through Castolon and back to Hwy118.
The ride to the Chios Basin visitors center and to Boquillas Canyon are round trips but worth the ride.
The River Road from Lajitas to Presidio is worth the ride too.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for Advice on a Waco, TX to Big Bend. TX-dsc_0093.jpg  

Last edited by silvrbill; 02-20-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Gwigg
Advanced

I rode out there last May from Liberty,TX. and absolutely loved it. If you have the time base camp out of Alpine and ride over to Ft. Davis on hwy 118, then head on up towards McDonald Observatory, very nice ride on up to hwy 166. Hwy 166 is supposed to be a scenic loop back to Ft. Davis, but I guess too some folks, not all. I rode down to Presidio and out west on hwy 170 to Ruidosa which is where the pavement ends, not much out there but now I can say I been out that way. From Presidio you have to ride hwy 170 east to Terlingua. Even if you don't go down to Presidio you still have to ride Hwy 170, from Study Butte you can go west. After several nights at Alpine I then went down to Big Bend, I had gotten reservations for Chisos Mountains Lodge and stayed there several nights. I didn't ride any of the gravel roads but still had a great time, the only problem I had was the HEAT. I went out there the 1st week in May and weather was great except for heat along the river and in the park. I was really thinking about going back out there this year, but my daughter in N Carolina wants me to come over there. My biggest suggestion is to take the time to really enjoy it out there, don't rush the trip.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:27 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

We try to go last week of March or the first week of April.
Spring breakers are gone by Apr 1 and the weather is nice.
Go much later and it can get hot like Gwigg said.
Keep an eye out for the Strawberry Cactus blooms, the weather will determine when they bloom but it's getting about the right time for it in Apr.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
texanmojo.com
Novice

Thanks to everyone that sent me tips on this trip. I am really looking forward to it and appreciate the advice!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 AM
CB5150
Road Master

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Ditto on Langtry and FM 170.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

My limited experience shows that the mornings can be pretty chilly and afternoons get plenty hot on the same day. Nice riding but plan to spend the time and dollars going north next time...Arkansas probably. Big Bend(s) is a unique should see. Roads are in good shape, troopers on main highways are far and few but do like to break the monotony by stopping you for making good time. John