Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cody, WY & Grand Teton Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Me and a friend left Sturgis thursday morning the week before the rally after riding from Northwest Iowa. We went through the Northern Big Horns and stopped at Lovell to warm up lol. Than rode up to Red Lodge. You need to stop at BearCreek and watch the pigs run around the track and ice cold beer. That was a few miles that day but very dooable. That morning went up Beratooth Pass which was amazing. We went through Cooke City and down by Mammoth Springs and saw Old Faithful blow up and got into Cody that evening and ate a great steak on the west side of town. Long but dooable day. We left that next morning and got back to Sturgis at 3 and went into deadwood and did some gambling. You can do all that in 3 days and still see many things and enjoy yourself. Beautiful area up there and wouldn't change it for anything

Old 02-25-2010, 01:58 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
I was riding I90 2 up loaded with gear. 60mph winds, I was riding at like a 75 degree angle just to ride straight! Got 170 miles to a tank..it was WINDY! Glad I was on my RG, would have been pretty bad otherwise.

I checked out those Lodges..Jenny Lake, Snake River..were a little over 300/night.
The wind does blow on the high plains.

There is usually a deal to be found for those GTNP lodges. Look around. In Jackson, one of the cheaper places is Snow King.

Don't forget about Driggs. The ride over Teton Pass is fun.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by faber
Whoa!

For the cheaper route, go over Teton Pass and stay in Driggs, ID. It's like what Jackson was 20 years ago.

Is Teton Pass that Rt 22 from Jackson to Driggs? I will check that out..doesn't look like too bad of an option, it's only about 32 miles.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Driggs and Alpine are both options, but are 30-40 miles from Jackson. Good rides though. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. I don't mind spending an hour or two in Jackson, but after that, I'd just as soon be back on the road.

Personally, I'd rather spend the time either riding over the Teton Pass to Driggs -- gorgeous -- or down 89 along the river -- twisty and fun -- than sitting in a bar or strolling through galleries. I know a lot of people, though, would think the trip was wasted if they didn't take the time to do those things.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:43 PM
hiwaytime
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo you have a good route planned, your research is going to pay off. Things not to miss: The Hot springs in Thermopolis, The Cowboy Bar in Jackson, The Buffalo Bill Historic Center in Cody. Don't worry about seeing everything in Yellowstone that way you have a reason to go back. If you are doing the east side stop at the Yellowstone Falls they are great and you will see where the name Yellowstone came from. Be careful through GTNP there seems to be a rise in vehicles and motorcycles hitting animals. I have killed two deer on my bikes and it happens very fast. It's Ten SLEEP by the way called that because it took the indians ten sleeps to get there from their base camp near Casper. Beartooth is incredible, you may do it in a T-shirt or you might do in a blinding snow storm in AUGUST!! But the weather is what makes the Rocky Mountains and you can't expect to get that beauty without paying for it somewhere. Happy Trails

Old 02-28-2010, 07:08 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Thanks. I'm looking forward to going. Just made my airline reservations just now. I have to decide on what hotels to stay in now.

I did ride Bear Tooth last year. Left Red Lodge @ 730 am with chaps, gloves, hat and leaters. Coming down through Cooke City I was in a tank top.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

there was road construction closing one of the western loops in yellowstone in late september. this made it somewhat inconvenient

Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
there was road construction closing one of the western loops in yellowstone in late september. this made it somewhat inconvenient
The construction by Griffen Falls should be done in spring.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Found a few places that are reasonable.
http://thewoodshotel.com/
http://www.anvilmotel.com
http://www.anglersinn.net

The Woods Hotel is pretty nice looking and about 130/night which is a great summer rate for Jackson. Can someone comment on the location? Looks right where you want to be, but I've never been there so would like any comments before I book it.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Redhog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We stayed in Driggs last year, nice little town with good food. Rode into Jackson Hole so the girls could do some shopping. Driggs is a lot cheaper than Jackson and Teton Pass is a nice ride.