Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cody, WY & Grand Teton Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I live down the road from Yellowstone, and I've done all those roads a zillion times.

Yes, Cody to Moran Jct is very do-able in a day. The road over the Wind Rivers is amazing--tops out over 9000'. From GTNP to Cooke City is also easy. Cooke City is not much of a muchness. Just a little mountain hippie town. If you're muling some BC herb, you'll find a lot of free places to stay. j/k (not really). Personally, I'd go out Gardiner and go all the way to Livingston. From there take I-90 back to Red Lodge, via Columbus and Absarokee (****. ab-ZOR-kee). Then the Beartooth Hwy back to Cody, and over to Sheridan or Buffalo.

If you have specific questions about hotels/restaurants, etc., just ask.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Faber...thanks for your input . I spoke with you when I was planning last year's trip through Lame Deer. Almost saw a shooting there while gasing up!

Can you recommend a place to stay nearby Jackson? Jackson is running about 300/night from what I found online, any nearby town that you'd recommend? Same question for Buffalo, where to stay.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[quote=turbo38sfi;6303971]Hey Faber...thanks for your input . I spoke with you when I was planning last year's trip through Lame Deer. Almost saw a shooting there while gasing up!

Can you recommend a place to stay nearby Jackson? Jackson is running about 300/night from what I found online, any nearby town that you'd recommend? Same question for Buffalo, where to stay.[/quote ]

I know you asked faber (the WY guru!), but I'll chime in since I went through there last fall.

Jackson really blew our $100/nt lodging incl bkfst budget, but have you tried Quality Inn 49'er in Jackson? It (Jackson) was the most expensive place on the whole trip, but this Quality Inn was clean and well located. Thought about Moran Junction for our group, but we wanted to enjoy the town of Jackson since that was a short riding day for us, and didn't want to ride "home" at night. You also may want to check out any KOA's in the area to see if they have any cabins. You need bedding though. Campground experience w/o the tent and less $$ than hotels.

Just don't forget to ask for discounts with whoever you book with. Whatever you're a member of...AAA, AARP, AMA, HOG, Good Sam, Progressive insurance...etc...never hurts to ask. It also pays to call the hotel directly, rather than the 1-800 number.

I also recommend checking cancellation policies before you make a reservation and give them your cc...the chains have generous policies- usu night before or day of...small, privately owned joints are more stringent.

Quality Inn & Suites 49'er, Jackson, WY
Address:
330 W Pearl Ave
Jackson, WY, 83001

Just plugged in a random date (Sept 16th). "Best rate" started at $155/nt for 2 queens, on up to $229 (suite). The "AAA Rate" Starts at $139 on up to $206. We actually stayed in a suite since that was all they had when I made the reservation. Breakfast was included.

Buffalo...Comfort Inn for $85 same date...AAA Rate.
65 US Highway 16 E., Buffalo, WY, US, 82834-9393
  • Phone: (307) 684-9564
  • Fax: (307) 684-9568

Anyway...if either fits your budget or taste, you may want to check them out.

Oh yeah, I also recommend you sign up for the FREE programs from each hotel group...Hilton honors, Choice priveledges, etc....you'll get points for each stay towards free nights. My #1 choice is always Hampton Inn's for the value/quality and it doesn't take many stays to get a free night. Just another FYI in case you were unaware!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Rockymtnfishboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at your route you are taking the long way from Cody to teton. Also Togwotee Pass is under major construction, 17 miles of mud and dirt (between Dubois and GTNP) If you head straight west out of Cody to the East Entrance of Yellowstone and head south at fishing bridge you can get to GTNP in about 2.5 hrs from Cody depending on traffic. On the way back through the park take the western loop past Old Faithful up to Norris Junction, to Canyon Jct. up to Tower then Cooke City. You are definitely looking at a very long day as traffic moves really slow in the park. As others have said spending a night in Jackson would be good but can be pricey. Check out Flat Crk motel on north end of town or the Motel 6 usually has decent rates. Also the Snake River Brewery in Jackson has excellent food and beer. I live in Pinedale about 75 mile from GTNP and am very familiar with Western WY so if you have any other questions feel free to ask

Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Thanks for the info, I will give them a ring! I know...so much for that 100/night budget! We are doing 3 nights in the Hill City area before our 6 day Western trip. I found a Bed N Breakfast that's really nice for 145/night...figured a little splurging before our trip.

I've heard Jackson is a great place to spend the night..good bars, food and people....So I really do want to stay there. I'll call around tomorrow. Last year in Red Lodge we stayed at The Yoddler..was very nice and not at all expensive!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Rockymtnfishboy
Cruiser

Last time I stayed in Jackson was in Oct and payed 45 a night at Motel 6, the wife and I are going for the snowmobile hill climbs in two weeks and found rooms for 150 which is steep but its a popular weekend and better than driving after having a few cocktails at the hillclimbs.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rockymtnfishboy
Looking at your route you are taking the long way from Cody to teton. Also Togwotee Pass is under major construction, 17 miles of mud and dirt (between Dubois and GTNP) If you head straight west out of Cody to the East Entrance of Yellowstone and head south at fishing bridge you can get to GTNP in about 2.5 hrs from Cody depending on traffic. On the way back through the park take the western loop past Old Faithful up to Norris Junction, to Canyon Jct. up to Tower then Cooke City. You are definitely looking at a very long day as traffic moves really slow in the park. As others have said spending a night in Jackson would be good but can be pricey. Check out Flat Crk motel on north end of town or the Motel 6 usually has decent rates. Also the Snake River Brewery in Jackson has excellent food and beer. I live in Pinedale about 75 mile from GTNP and am very familiar with Western WY so if you have any other questions feel free to ask
That's kind of the whole point in taking the longer way though..see the stuff I don't see up here in NH. Maybe August that road will be finished...there is a site to check construction progress...I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
Hey Faber...thanks for your input . I spoke with you when I was planning last year's trip through Lame Deer. Almost saw a shooting there while gasing up!
Whoa!

Well, out there is still the wild wild west Certainly ain't no Wall Drug on the res

You've got to admit that the ride from Belle Fourche to I-90 is awesome, in the true sense of the word. My wife got a ticket outside Broadus doing 95 on her Harley!

Can you recommend a place to stay nearby Jackson? Jackson is running about 300/night from what I found online, any nearby town that you'd recommend? Same question for Buffalo, where to stay.
Buffalo has some chain hotels and mom-n-pops. I stay at the Mountain View Cabins, or I just camp in the Bighorns (Clear Creek FS campground--great trout fishing up there!).

Jackson is another story. It's $$$$$$$$. For the same money as staying in Jackson, you could probably stay at one of the lodges in GTNP, like Jackson Lake Lodge. Great views! Last year I took my wife to Jenney Lake Lodge for our anniversary. Pretty nice. For the special occasion, worth the money. Google those places. Otherwise, I camp, usually at the northernmost campground in GTNP, or the one by the Snake River.

For the cheaper route, go over Teton Pass and stay in Driggs, ID. It's like what Jackson was 20 years ago.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Nellie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
That's kind of the whole point in taking the longer way though..see the stuff I don't see up here in NH. Maybe August that road will be finished...there is a site to check construction progress...I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up.
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one, the construction has been going on for about 3 yrs now and I don't believe it is supposed to be done until next year...

Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Originally Posted by faber
Whoa!

Well, out there is still the wild wild west Certainly ain't no Wall Drug on the res

You've got to admit that the ride from Belle Fourche to I-90 is awesome, in the true sense of the word. My wife got a ticket outside Broadus doing 95 on her Harley!

Buffalo has some chain hotels and mom-n-pops. I stay at the Mountain View Cabins, or I just camp in the Bighorns (Clear Creek FS campground--great trout fishing up there!).

Jackson is another story. It's $$$$$$$$. For the same money as staying in Jackson, you could probably stay at one of the lodges in GTNP, like Jackson Lake Lodge. Great views! Last year I took my wife to Jenney Lake Lodge for our anniversary. Pretty nice. For the special occasion, worth the money. Google those places. Otherwise, I camp, usually at the northernmost campground in GTNP, or the one by the Snake River.

For the cheaper route, go over Teton Pass and stay in Driggs, ID. It's like what Jackson was 20 years ago.
I was riding I90 2 up loaded with gear. 60mph winds, I was riding at like a 75 degree angle just to ride straight! Got 170 miles to a tank..it was WINDY! Glad I was on my RG, would have been pretty bad otherwise.

I checked out those Lodges..Jenny Lake, Snake River..were a little over 300/night.

Quick Reply: Cody, WY & Grand Teton Suggestions