Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florida - where should we go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 PM
cybricon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Florida - where should we go?

Looking for suggestions on good places to ride to in Florida. I'm taking my 14 year old daughter on another road trip. Last year we went about 6000 miles in 19 days, from our home in Maryland to as far west as Utah and Yellowstone. This time we're staying on the east coast and riding down to Florida. Once we get there we'll have about a week to ride around. My daughter Madi likes to check out cool towns and malls, stuff like that. I figure we'll go to Daytona Beach then maybe Orlando for a couple of days, and get out to Key West one day, maybe. We'll stay in KOA Kabins and cheap motels. Other than that we're pretty open for suggestions.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Bagger Bleu
Cruiser

Always thought it would be really cool to watch a launch from the Cape. Check with NASA and see if they have anything going up while you are there.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next launch is on the 7th of February. A1A is a nice ride down the ocean side and hwy 41 is also cool coming through the Everglades and back up towards Naples or vice cersa. 41 but gets busy near the Marco Island turnoff about 3-4 miles south of Naples. traffic get crazy there. The ride up Hwy 27 through the center of the state and south of I-4 is cool in late March when the groves are in bloom and the odor of the blossoms fill the air. You can get over there from Fort Meyers and hit it south of Sebring. Hwy 17 through Frostproof and north is a neat ride through some groves and there is alot of old acrhetecture along the ride. An old friend referred to WHy 17 oin the area as "Scenic 17"

Old 02-05-2010, 05:15 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Cool towns?

Fernandina.
St. Augustine.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

St. Augustine definitely. She would love the cobblestone streets with the boutiques and shops. Horse drawn buggies, etc. Definitely have lunch outside at one of the cafe's. From there it is a gorgeous ride (about an hour or so with no stops) down A1A to Daytona. Pretty pastel painted houses through Anastasia where the intercoastal and the ocean are on each side of the road. Washington Oaks state park, old oaks and moss hanging from the trees overhead. If you stop along that stretch (one of my fav parts of FL), almost every street will have a beach at the end of it and they are literally empty. Once you hit Daytona, you are probably better off heading inland as mentioned...not a huge lot to see there, some farms, etc. I've gone all the way down and then taken 192 in to Orlando, but it is pretty straight and flat and not much worth seeing on A1A from Daytona to Cocoa unless you are going ot go to Cape Canaveral. The Keys are unbeleivable riding, sight seeing...highly, highly recommend it. You feel like you are in a whole other world, but you probably need more than a day. Another beautiful section, maybe on your way up would be Ocala National Forest. Except for it being flat with an occasional whoops in the road, you would not think you are in FL.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Destination Daytona has shops for her and HD and bike shops for you.....there's a hotel and lots of bars and restaurants.
Also i would say that Ron Jon's Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach is a place she would love....it's exit 201 off of I95....head east to the corner of A1A and 520.
as you head further south there are some classy Malls in Boca Raton and a great flea market in Lauderdale called the Swap Meet as well as the Sawgrass Mills Mall....it's HUGE.
After Lauderdale head inland and go to the Keys via Homestead.....going thru Miami will eat up to much time.
Lots of shopping in Key West.....Duval Street.....keep on 1 into Key West....right on Duval and park at Hogs Breath Tavern on the left for $10 for the day....

Enjoy...........

Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

Take a ride through the Everglades while you are in south Florida.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:00 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Oh ya.....if you're in Orlando there is a place (bar, restaurant) called Race Rock on International Drive....all forms of motorsport inside.....it's a great place for lunch....

Old 02-06-2010, 10:13 AM
GAZippoman
Road Captain

St. Augustine is very nice. A ride to the Keys is awesome if the weather cooperates. We've always been partial to the panhandle. And you can always drive along the cost over to Gulf Shores AL to the Bon Seceour National Wildlife area.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Catfish9450
Intermediate

Watch out for the blue-haired cagers in South FLA !!!

Quick Reply: Florida - where should we go?