Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Anybody Know The Santa Fe Area?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody Know The Santa Fe Area?

I’m looking at what a trip out to Santa Fe might be like and wondering if anyone here might have suggestions for roads or routes in the area that are preferable for riding?

I would be tent camping and I notice that the majority of the state parks don’t have showers? Seems odd. Any suggestions for state parks in the area?

I’m eager to check it out – is May as early as would be recommended to be riding in the area? I notice it is fairly high elevation and gets pretty chilly.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See my reply posted on the Southwest forum. You were smart to post on both
as you'll get a better run of responses here, and perhaps more detailed there.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:17 PM
softailMamaJama
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've lived in northern new mexico for most of my life.
may is still cold at night, snow is rare but not absolutely unheard of at that time of year.
check out jemez canyon and the surrounding area - lots of camping, hotsprings, and hiking, and its beautiful.
taos, angel fire, and red river (bike run over memorial day weekend, if you happen to be there) aka the enchanted circle is a pretty ride.
also heading towards arizona through the desert and into the painted desert is really pretty also.
if you're into history, places like bandelier national park, chaco canyon, taos pueblo, etc can be really interesting.

as far as the campground, i don't have too much experience. i wouldn't be surprised if most don't have showers. new mexico in general is a little less modern than other states.
let me know if you have other questions, i'd be happy to help you out or try to find out the answers. like good places to eat, etc. have fun!!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

I appreciate the info! This should make a really excellent trip. I’m snowed in right now and thinking about it is making me itch for spring to get here.

I did Arkansas to my east last fall and was incredibly impressed with all it had to offer and to think that New Mexico is a day’s ride to my west with a completely different topography – makes me appreciate being situated in OKC.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:29 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

water is precious in those areas.. don't waste it taking showers.. your on a bike, your camping.. showers are overrated..

Old 02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RutRoo
water is precious in those areas.. don't waste it taking showers.. your on a bike, your camping.. showers are overrated..
I can go a few days…..sometimes by choice being lazy around the house I might do that, but I don’t try to push it past a few. If I could get reservations at a park that had showers for a day midpoint then I wouldn’t mind skipping around to different parks that didn’t have showers if the scenery and riding made it worth it.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Exquzet
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should check out www.cyclerides.com He is out of Arizona but lists rides all over. I just read a review of a trip like you are looking for. Have fun, ride safe.