Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Jasper or Banff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010 | 04:31 PM
LadyFunbags
|
Cruiser
Default Jasper or Banff?

Hubby and I are taking a roadtrip in July 2010 to Canada and will be staying 3-4 days in the Jasper/Banff area. Any suggestions out there concerning which town to stay in?

Old 01-31-2010 | 06:38 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Hey, where you leaving from? I used to live in Calgary Ab. and would take a trip to the mountains every chance i got. If you have the money, stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs. It's not cheap, but worth every cent. If you're traveling on a budget, there's lots of other choices. Oh, and while you're in Banff, go for a "Cow's" ice cream. It's not cheap either, but you'll love it! Anyways, have a great time. I'm jealous. I'd love to do a trip through the mountains on my bike, but when I lived out that way I was running on 4 wheels. Let me know if you need info on anything else.

Old 01-31-2010 | 07:29 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by DLuxLady
Hubby and I are taking a roadtrip in July 2010 to Canada and will be staying 3-4 days in the Jasper/Banff area. Any suggestions out there concerning which town to stay in?
I, too, will be going though this area and the Icefields Parkway in June on my way to Alaska. Any tips, on sites, lodging (cheap & clean) and food would be appreciated!!

Old 01-31-2010 | 07:39 PM
LadyFunbags
|
Cruiser

jlasoftail - thanks for the info. We usually stay at Best Westerns; they aren't too pricey. Thanks for the tip on the icecream. We LOVE icecream!

We're leaving from CA, traveling up the Pacific Coast Hwy up into WA (just past Portland) and then cutting over through WA, swinging around Mt. Rainier and then heading North. The plan is to cross into Canada at Osoyoos, stay in Kelowna BC and then head into the Banff area. We're not sure if we want to stay in Banff/Lake Louise for a few days and ride up to Jasper, or ride up to Jasper and stay up there a few days. I'm hoping that I can get some suggestions from this thread.

Last edited by LadyFunbags; 01-31-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2010 | 10:41 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master

Check out your hotel options in Canmore,AB. Its 15 mins outside the Banff National Park Gates, tons of hotels, people often stay here instead of inside the gates. Be careful if you plans take you through Rogers Pass. We have had repeated problems with that "impass", avalanches in winter, mud slides in spring. Heavy rains can take it out in summer.

Old 01-31-2010 | 11:02 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

We are headed that way July 15th. I'll be leaving Kennewick and meeting a friend in Wenatchee. We plan on being in Nakusp on the 16th for the music festival so we can see the Head Pins. My friend loves the band and that is the sole reason for going. I've never listened to much of their music but even if it sucks we'll get to ride for 4 days!!

Old 01-31-2010 | 11:12 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior

+1 for Canmore motels. very short ride to Banff. Cheap motels in Jasper start around $130 cdn. If you are into pizza, there is a place right in the center of town, across from the train station where I had the best pizzs since I left Chicago.

Old 01-31-2010 | 11:21 PM
beerguz
Road Warrior

You could also try a ride through Kananaskis park, it's closer to Calgary, a real nice mountain ride we did that last summer south to Long View, then back to Calgary. Even in summer those mountains can still have snow, so it can get quite chilly. And keep and eye out for wildlife, Mountain goats for instance, stand at the side of the road, and I don't think they like loud harley's. Good to idle by them real slow, so they don't spook.

Old 02-01-2010 | 02:01 AM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

Banff is more of a touristy town compared to Jasper. Banff had nicer hotels and the prices reflected that. Either way you chose, you will have a wonderful trip.

Old 02-01-2010 | 04:56 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by Biker Oma
Check out your hotel options in Canmore,AB. Its 15 mins outside the Banff National Park Gates, tons of hotels, people often stay here instead of inside the gates. Be careful if you plans take you through Rogers Pass. We have had repeated problems with that "impass", avalanches in winter, mud slides in spring. Heavy rains can take it out in summer.
I am planning to come up from Glacier NP on Rt 17, 6 and 22 to get to the Icefields Parkway. Is that a good route on the bike. I would prefer to stay away from Calgary and the traffic. I am heading north from there to Alaska. Since you are from the area, I thought you might provide some good advice!!!

Quick Reply: Jasper or Banff?