Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Jasper or Banff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010 | 12:00 PM
vattilize
Novice

When in Banff stop at st. James gate for irish pub grub and ales. Banff gondola ride to check the view. Also a must see is the Banff springs and the golf course if your into it. If you can make it to Lake Louise the tea houses are a good hike and well worth the view. Just ask at the hotel they will direct you. Also you could hike to the top of Fairview mountain by the Lake. About three hour hike for the sort of in shape person. The workout will pay off with a view of the hotel from afar and the mountains all over. If you think the fairmont is too expensive for one night (try a walk in rate) stay at the Lake louise inn at the bottom of the hill. They have a good bar for night drinks. Again watch for all types of animals and people pulling over to take pictures. Check the maps of the area for the hot springs. all are worth a look and a good ride.
Jasper has stop off points for you to park and walk out to the icefields. Have a good ride and enjoy the scenery. Be there in late July.

Old 02-10-2010 | 10:38 PM
connector
Advanced

Originally Posted by microwave
make sure your warm cloths are easy to get at when you leave Banff....i have riden in snow in the middle of July......its called the colombian ice feild's it CAN be cold.
Same thing July 5 and we hit snow for few miles but worth the trip and plus one for Bnaff

Old 06-02-2010 | 07:35 PM
steelhead
Road Master

Sorry to resurect an old thread but was looking for info on the Canmore area and was happy to stumble across this one. Four of us are headed up there from Seattle, leaving July 22nd for 7-8 days. Really looking forward to it!

Old 06-03-2010 | 11:59 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain

My wife and I did that trip from seattle to Jasper and Banff we also stayed in Canmore se east of Banff. We also stayed at Kootney Lodge on hwy 93 in little rustic cabins they were great .here is a link to them
http://www.kootenayparklodge.com/

Old 06-04-2010 | 07:57 PM
Indy Road Dog
Cruiser

You're in for a great ride. I agree with most posters. Banff is very touristy - lots of Euros hanging there too - they are fun to talk to. Lake Louise, Sunwapta Falls, Athabasca Falls, Moraine Lake, Columbia Ice Field, all cool stops. Jasper is my favorite. There is a brewpub in the middle of town that's good. Also, good pub and grub one street back from the main drag that has some 2nd story stuff. Good place to have a beer and people watch. There are also lots of people renting rooms in their homes on the streets east of the highway coming into town. Just go up and knock on the door if they have a sign out. Great people. If you are riding near sundown, stay alert. Lots of elk, etc. Especially just south of Jasper.

There are lots of stops all along the Parkway. Awesome scenery. I wish I was riding along.

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:08 PM
Chipper
Novice

Originally Posted by steelhead
Sorry to resurect an old thread but was looking for info on the Canmore area and was happy to stumble across this one. Four of us are headed up there from Seattle, leaving July 22nd for 7-8 days. Really looking forward to it!
Spent a great few days based in Canmore last August. Stayed at the Bow Valley Motel. Nothing fancy, but the price was good. Right next to a laundermat and close to dining options. A great trip!

Old 06-05-2010 | 01:37 AM
blackndecker
Cruiser

I would highly recomend the "Sawridge Inn" in Jasper. Not cheap but not too much more than a typical Best Western. Owned by the first nations, I believe (thats Canadian for Indians). Nice rooms, lounge, and a kinda high end restaurant that serves an awesome elk roast dinner. Never had it before, probably never will again unless, of course I find myself in Jasper. You're gonna love this trip! Good Luck.

Old 06-07-2010 | 12:38 AM
LadyFunbags
|
Cruiser

Steelhead-Thanks for resurrecting this thread. We'll be in Banff/Jasper from July 22-July 27. I've received a couple of PMs from others who will be in the area at the same time who would like to meet. If anyone is interested in doing the same, PM me.

I'm a sooo looking forward to this trip!

Old 06-07-2010 | 01:02 AM
sinbin
6th Gear

After you do Jasper and are heading to Victoria, you have to make sure that when you get to Kamloops you take the old hwy 1. It'll lead you to hwy 99 "The Sea to sky Highway" It ends up going through Whistler and spits you out at the ferry terminals to head to the Island. Awesome highway a little rough in spots but twisty as hell!

Old 07-16-2010 | 05:07 PM
LadyFunbags
|
Cruiser

We're heading out tomorrow morning for our trip to Banff/Jasper/Victoria. Thank you for all of the recommendations. You've helped us to map out a great trip. I'll try to post some pics along the way.

Quick Reply: Jasper or Banff?