Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Jasper or Banff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010 | 12:11 AM
Kagan
Tourer

If you stay at the Banff Springs, hoist a beer for me. I know this is going to sound made up but it's not. I was conceived there in '64. My father was a cook and my mother a chamber maid. I was put up for adoption and in 1986 I was skiing there and met a girl who eventually became my wife. In 1997 I met my birth mom and she told me the story. How's that for coincidence?

Old 02-06-2010 | 02:02 AM
LadyFunbags
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.
About the bears - I had no idea that they were unpredictable. I've never seen a bear outside of a zoo. We had a few deer trot across the road infront of us, I almost hit a cow that spooked at the last minute, oh and the bison in Yellowstone that blocked traffic for 1/2 hour, but never a bear. Thanks for the heads-up; I will be cautious.

How about speed limits - are they strictly inforced?

Old 02-06-2010 | 09:16 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

In Canada all speed's are measured in kilometres per hour. The police usually let you do 10 kph over on most highway's depending on road condition's.
The Johnson Canyon road is a popular spot for the RCMP to nail speeders and watch out for the big dip on that road, it's a doozzy. My buddy got airborn on it and nearly lost it.

Old 02-06-2010 | 12:08 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been to both, and agree that Banff is much more touristy. Seemed to be more wildlife (at least on my trips) around Jasper. Can't go wrong with either one though... awe-inspiring scenery everywhere!

Old 02-06-2010 | 12:17 PM
beerguz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DLuxLady
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.
About the bears - I had no idea that they were unpredictable. I've never seen a bear outside of a zoo. We had a few deer trot across the road infront of us, I almost hit a cow that spooked at the last minute, oh and the bison in Yellowstone that blocked traffic for 1/2 hour, but never a bear. Thanks for the heads-up; I will be cautious.

How about speed limits - are they strictly inforced?
Have a good trip. I just had a peek at your Road Glide, nice bike. We do that ride once a year, might see you out there.

Old 02-06-2010 | 12:29 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by beerguz
Have a good trip. I just had a peek at your Road Glide, nice bike. We do that ride once a year, might see you out there.
Anyone have a recommendation for a nice motorcycle friendly motel along the parkway or in Jasper? Plan to only be there one night on my way to Alaska in June. Also, "cheap" and the kind where you can park your bike at your door!!

Old 02-07-2010 | 08:15 AM
MilesJ
Road Master

Marmot Lodge in jasper is pretty cheap and the have a lot of parking spots that are right at the door. They are usually able to arrange a room on ground floor in front of the parking.

Old 02-07-2010 | 09:06 AM
microwave
Advanced

make sure your warm cloths are easy to get at when you leave Banff....i have riden in snow in the middle of July......its called the colombian ice feild's it CAN be cold.

Last edited by microwave; 02-07-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-07-2010 | 12:23 PM
Skinny Waters
Novice

"Anyone have a recommendation for a nice motorcycle friendly motel along the parkway or in Jasper? "
Inexpressive accommodation in the park can be difficult to find at times. If you are travelling through the area on a road trip and looking for a less expensive nights stay, consider Valemount BC. It is about 75 miles west of Jasper, has a few " park in front" places. Local pub has good eats and is within walking distance of accommodations.
I'll be riding through there in early June, might see.

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:52 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master

"Banff is a Mall with a view" made me laugh, he is so right!! Doing the hike at Mount Edith Cavell is a must. By July we are out of Canmore and 'home' to Winnipeg MB for the summer, sorry we miss an opportunity to offer you a bed. Again, another warning about the bears, elk and mountain sheep. They make their point: its MY home, you are the guest, and there on their terms!

Quick Reply: Jasper or Banff?