Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Jasper or Banff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010 | 10:09 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

To those of you going to Jasper, or by that way heading north. We live outside Jasper park gates near Hinton. You would be welcome to spend a night or two at our place we have extra room, and it would be interesting to meet riders from other areas. Don't feel like you'll be intruding, PM us if you feel like it to make sure we aren't out a road trip of our own

Old 02-01-2010 | 10:19 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

I prefer Jasper over Banff as it is less crowded and cheaper. It's also more rustic, and not much for mult star accomodations, but they are clean an cheap. Riding in either place is excellent. In Banff area I recomed the ride out to Johnston's canyon amd in Jasper I highly recomend the ride up to Miette hotsprings. If you do go up to the hotsprings make sure to take it easy. People have ridden too fast, too hard and gone off the edge. Enjoy the ride nad make sure you let all us local AB peple kow when you are going to be here n see if we can meet up!

Old 02-02-2010 | 02:19 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

Jasper is amazing. Banff is nice, but more of a tourist trap. We stayed in Canmore and it was really nice. I would have loved to stay at Lake Louise. That place is beautiful!

Honestly, spend the three days riding back and forth on the Icefield Parkway! There's a little place about halfway up the IP called Saskatchewan River Crossing. They have a general store, gas and cabins/camp space for rent. If you're looking for some peace and quiet in the middle of nowhere, this is your spot.

Old 02-02-2010 | 09:56 PM
LadyFunbags
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all of the great advice! It looks like we'll be staying 3 nights in Banff and then 2 nights in Jasper and then head down through Kamloops on our way to Victoria. We'll be traveling in late July. It would be nice to meet up with some of the locals there - maybe grab some pizza. There is pizza in Canada, right?

Old 02-03-2010 | 06:58 AM
angryinch
Intermediate

Yep. There's "Boston Pizza"s all over the place. They're open late, too.

Old 02-03-2010 | 07:20 AM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer

If Boston's Pizza is the best you have....run..don't walk. I'd rather eat dirt. You can do better. Anywhere. Even in Canada.

Old 02-03-2010 | 08:18 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

Stop at Saskatchewan River Crossing, there's alway's rider's stopping there for a break.
On your way to Jasper from Banff make sure you dress warm because as you get closer to the glacier's elevation rises and it can can get really cold.

Old 02-03-2010 | 09:09 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default You'll love the run through the Rockies.

Be warned though. The Big Horned Sheep and Elk (which are the size of moose) wander the freeway regularly and are not shy. Bears tend to dart out a lot and are like squirrels, they change their minds at least 3 times until they get off the road. Banff has some beautiful hotels ($$$) and the run up to Jasper is a breath taker. It has some nice motels too ($$$) There is a hotspring a few kilomters east of Jasper that is a must see as well.
Tim

Old 02-03-2010 | 10:30 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

I just got back from a weekend skiing in Jasper. If you're into skiing, I've never seen the conditions better at Marmot.

For Pizza in Jasper, look no further than North Face Pizza. It's a small place with a few tables... and they also have the best Poutine in town.

Banff is just a mall with a good view. If you're into shopping at high end boutiques and eating at fancy restaurants, go to Banff. If you are planning on exploring the area aroudn Banff/Lake Louise check out Johnson's Canyon Resort. Nice cabins that are around half way between Banff and Lake Louise. There is also a campground.

Jasper has some great riding around the town as well. Although the roads can be full of tar snakes, the ride up to Miette Hot Springs is worth it. The hot springs are a great break, and there are cabins and a restaurant. Probably 4 out of 5 times I've been on that road I've seen a bear.

Another great ride is up to Maligne lake. Both the destination and the ride make it worthwhile.

Also, if you make it to Saskatchewan River crossing, try heading east on Highway 11. You'll be treated to a great ride along Abraham Lake. Save your money and stay at David Thompson resort rather than the Saskatchewan River crossing.

Old 02-04-2010 | 12:02 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member

If you are into a little easy hiking take a ride up to Mount Edith Cavell. It's a nice ride and then an easy hike to Cavell Meadows. If the mountain wild flowers are in bloom it's beautiful and also you get a great view of Angel Glacier.

Quick Reply: Jasper or Banff?