Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM
gmag72
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon

Heading to pigeon Forge Tenn. in May. Has anyone over stayed in the log cabins in the area? If so, any recomondations? Thanks!!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 AM
AluminumGT40
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gatlinberg Cabin

We stayed in a cabin on Forest Spring road, Gatlinbug. We were essentially in Gatlinburg by address. There were other cabins around, but we were by ourselves also, buried in the woods. Rented a 08 Heritage Softail from Smoky Mtn HD and road the Dragon. The entire adventure was great. Get on VRBO website and shop for a cabin that looks to suit you; I could probably find the exact listing of the cabin we rented for you too. All options exist: pool tables, mountain side, river side, hot tubs, saunas, one bed one room to whatever size. We had an outside deck with fireplace and hottub with pool table inside, one bed upstaires in a loft.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 AM
AluminumGT40
Cruiser

Must drive the Roaring Fork Motor Trail around the south end of Gatlinburg. (if you have a car) I can't recommend this road on a bike. I do not ride that well, it is a very rough road and lots of bears in the area, lots of water falls right by the road side too. Short road that can easily be a trip of a few hours if you want. This is a road where 15 mph is too fast.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:47 AM
AluminumGT40
Cruiser
Default Crazy Drivers

I hated all of the nuts driving on the 321 and 441 highways. We came into the area through Sevierville and went to Gatlinburg to our cabin. As we were in the mess of vehicles on S bound 441, the traffic was usually at a standstill. There was a rear ender crash, just the vehicle behind us. We did not suffer an impact, but the crashed cars hit so hard; I felt the concussion in the air. A bad welcome to the area for us.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
AluminumGT40
Cruiser
Default Townsend

If you are going on a bike for the entire trip, I would recommend staying near Townsend. It is in the countryside. You will get a lot more nature and a lot less traffic. You can get to Cades Cove, the Dragon and the west foothills roads very easy. The Pigeon Forge Smoky Mtn Harley dealer is just to your east. Wears Valley Road at 441. If you are into BIG Harley dealership locations, the Maryville Smoky Mountain dealership can't be beat. Maybe check their website for events the days you are in the area too.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

For a rental cabin you might try www.jacksonmountainhomes.com you can check what you want in a cabin as hot tub, pool table, log house, etc.
Try www.Gatlinburg.com and look under rental cabins. A lot of the cabins are on very narrow mountain roads, most that are streamside are more level. The Glade area is fairly level in an Arts and Craft area about five miles from downtown.
If you want to stay in Gatlinburg let them know, a lot of rental house on Ski Mountain Road. If a rental says Gatlinburg it may be several mile out.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM
gmag72
Novice

Great info thanks a ton!!! Riding from Michigan.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
GarArnett
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not log, but Chalet Village has tons of homes for rent on the mountain going up to Ober Gatlinburg. I've used them several times. Very nice. Eagles Ridge is also good. I've used them too and they are very nice - and the log homes are in a very quiet area though close to everything.

Smokey Mtn H-D in Maryville is awesome (they also own the Sevierville shop and the t-shirt shop in Gatlinburg). At that time they will have concerts every Sat. night in Maryville, which is just off US129 and north of Deal's Gap.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:35 PM
v2in
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Wright cabins. They're in townsend. Good locations. I think she has 12 cabins. Her name is peggy, I think. Esy ride to the dragon, Cherokee, little river road. Checkout the kickstand campground for ride info. They have ride maps that will show you some GREAT rides. Just writing this makes me want to head over there. we're just a couple hours away.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM
bwiningr
Intermediate

We have done several trips down to Gatlinburg, and road the dragon, we stay Gatlinburg Falls they are newer and really nice, let me know if you are interested i can get you all of the information

Barry

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon