Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Churchill Downs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM
doshi
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Churchill Downs

The wife and I are planning on a trip to Louisville in July for the HULLABALOU MUSIC FEST. Are there areas of the city that are a must see or must do while in town? Not certain that we want to stay in Louisville maybe within a 20-30 mile radius. Any reason to stay or not stay in Louisville?

Last edited by doshi; 01-30-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 PM
MyRide7
Tourer
Default Louisville Trip

I used to live 30 or so miles West of there in Corydon IN (take I64 West to exit 105? anyway this town has losts of "goody,Crafts, Antique, ) B&B, The first state capitol of Indianna was here from 1816-1825 till it was moved to Indianapolis. The old State Capitol BLD and Treasury Building are there and have tours. !2 miles south on HWY 135 is Squireboone Caverns (Brother of Danial Boone) And HWY 62 West toward Dale Indianna, and or take RT 66 (follows the Ohio River are great rides)

I would not stay in Louisville, I 65, I64, I71 Intersections (called Spaghette Junction) is a mees of traffic Watch out all all times. Harley shop on Auther Street is nice, as well as the one on I64 East? The OLD 4th street (called? Galleria or?) in DnT Loiusville is ok as is the Gault House for eating (Take $$$) It has been a long time may be gone now. The west side of town take your (Uzzi) it may be needed! Ther are several place to se Museum. Zoo, Malls etc. Take cool cloths as it is humid in July and August

MyRide7

Originally Posted by doshi
The wife and I are planning on a trip to Louisville in July for the HULLABALOU MUSIC FEST. Are there areas of the city that are a must see or must do while in town? Not certain that we want to stay in Louisville maybe within a 20-30 mile radius. Any reason to stay or not stay in Louisville?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:42 AM
Haywired
Road Master

If you like baseball you may like the Louisville Slugger factory and Museum. We went there on our honeymoon and surprised my wife with a special engraved bat with our wedding date and favorite Milwaukee Brewers logo engraved onto it. Ordered and paid for a couple weeks ahead of time. The people there were good to work with. Acted like I was just looking and came back with it and surprised her with it. At times I wonder if buying my wife a bat was a good idea though...

Chuchhill Downs was a neat tour and they have a good restaurant. There's also a gift shop and museum but it was extra to see the museum and we skipped it.

You may enjoy a trip down to Bardstown and tour part of the Bourbon Road. Heaven Hill is in Bardstown and has an awesome visitor center. Makers Mark is not too far down in Loretto and offers a comprehensive tour on the Bourbon industry. We also toured Beam but enjoyed the Makers tour much more.

Here's a link to some of our trip pictures. We pulled our camper down and stayed at the My Old Kentucky Home State Park in Bardstown when we went.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Dan54843/KentuckyTrip#

Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM
GarArnett
Cruiser

http://www.kybourbontrail.com/

Maker's Mark is the best to visit of the distilleries.

Downtown Louisville has seen a bit of revitalization over the last few years. The Fourth Street Live section has really picked up with good nightlife. Maker's has their own bar there.

http://www.4thstlive.com/

Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 AM
doshi
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. Looks as though the Slugger tour, Distilleries, River Boat Ride and Fort Knox are all being considered. Staying outside of the city limits appears to be a better idea if wanting to avoid traffic issues. Anyone else with a favorite place or area to stay? Thinking of using two days to see the above events and headed south to Nashville for a couple of days.

Last edited by doshi; 02-01-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Haywired
Road Master

The Patton Museum near Fort Knox could take a couple hours easily but is worth the effort. They had a section on the Holcaust in there that was quite moving. The amount of different armored vehicles is spectacular if you like that. They have General Patton's pearl handled revolvers, vehicles and a good display with his story and the story of how he died.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:27 AM
GAZippoman
Road Captain

Used to live in Luavull (as the native pronounce it). Staying downtown (at the Brown Hotel for example) is pricey. You can get better rates in either Jeffersonville, clarkesville or Albany IN and it it's just across the bridge. When we go back to visit, we stay at the Caesar's Hotel and gambling boat in Elizabeth IN. Very nice rooms and decent price.

If you're an artsy type, the Speed Art Museum in Louisville is highly regarded. And I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you to stop at the Bambi Bar on Bardstown Road! And the Highlands have quitea lot of nice shops.

Bill

Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 AM
vonzoog
Tourer

Well, I was born and raise there. Get back about once a year now. It really depends upon what you cup of tea is. Just remember, we use say Louisville was the home of Fast Horses, Fast Women, & Damn Good Bourbon.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kick azz fireworks show, if you are in town that early.

Quick Reply: Churchill Downs