Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Churchill Downs

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

downtown isn't bad. and traffic is nothing compared to places like atlanta or the eastern seaboard. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the mellowness of louisville. especially on weekends.

if you can swing a night at 21C definitely do it. they were ranked 6th in the world for best places to stay and 1st in the united states. their restaurant is ridiculously good. and they're close to everything. my girlfriend and i stayed there during the holidays. she love love loved the place. the staff is incredible. the art is seriously cool.

if you like touristy souless chains, 4th st live is full of them. who doesn't need one more hard rock cafe t-shirt?

the kingfish is a popular l'ville hangout. its pretty good (for inland seafood). check out a place called toast .. they serve a nice breakfast all day. the corner cafe in lyndon is another best-kept secret in l'ville.

one of the better local bars is a place called the outlook. its on bardstown rd. its small, kinda loud, but its a mellow atmoshphere, full of adults, and very very local. there are lots of bars on bardstown road but this one is the most balanced. up the road from there is Wicks' pizza which is worth visiting.

if you want to get out and meet the local biking populace, check out 5 o'clock charlies. its toward taylorsville. the people there are 100% kentucky. its a dive on the outskirts of town that attracts decent people. a little rowdy, but nothing fcked-up ever happens there and hootin-n-hollarin is welcome most of the time.

avoid bluegrass harley davidson.

theres burbon tours but if you've seen one distillery you've seen them all. its fun to compare "dogs" if you're a whiskey fan. the finished product aint bad but hellfire you can buy that anywhere.

the arts and crafts museum is supposed to be really good. i've not been, but i've seen the stuff in their windows... its all pretty awesome.

the best part of ky is the back road riding. i'm trying to move east, but if i'm here in july i'll be happy to show you around.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:42 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I'll 2nd, 3rd and 4th the advice of avoiding the crazy traffic in Louisville if you value your life. We headed over the bridge at 11 am on a weekday heading up 65/64 and we nearly got hit at least a half dozen times. Riding in a group might make a difference, but running solo isn't too smart.....lol

Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 AM
vonzoog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed

if you want to get out and meet the local biking populace, check out 5 o'clock charlies. its toward taylorsville. the people there are 100% kentucky. its a dive on the outskirts of town that attracts decent people. a little rowdy, but nothing fcked-up ever happens there and hootin-n-hollarin is welcome most of the time.

Could you be a little more specific on this location? Taylorsville Road runs from in town starting at Bardstown Road and continueing through Jeffersontown and on out of the county to Taylorsville. I grew up in a neighborhood right off Taylorsville Road between J-Town and Hikes Point and I don't know where this Charlies is. I would like to know.

Thanks,

Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM
vonzoog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I found it. A few miles outside of J-Town. Not over 5 miles from my brother's place. I will have to check it out next time I'm home for a visit. I still call it home. Haven't lived there in 40 years and both parents have passed away now.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Oh, and ya gotta try a few shots of 'Rebel Yell' whiskey.......