Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Arctic Circle from Las Angles

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Cummins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Arctic Circle from Las Angles

I am planning a ride to the Arctic Circle in June 2010. Any takers? I am actually leaving from Oxnard, CA.

I rode to Tok, AK in 2007 and it was a blast. Now I am planning on being at the Arctic Circle on June 21st for Summer Solstice.

Camping in my main plan, except if it is raining then getting a room is in order. Wll be riding my 2008 Ultra. Last time I was on a GW.

Dan
DLJX2@roadrunner.com

Last edited by Cummins; 01-27-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not planning on another Alaska ride for a while. We went in 2008 and planned it around being in Fairbanks on the 21st for their big Solstice Street Fair.

We made it there and it was a blast! I think it was the first time I've ever stepped out of a (ahem) "gentleman's club" at 2:00am and it was still daylight!

I don't know about you, but being in the great white north for 3 weeks kind of messed up my sleeping habits.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cummins
I am planning a ride to the Arctic Circle in June 2010. Any takers? I am actually leaving from Oxnard, CA.

I rode to Tok, AK in 2007 and it was a blast. Now I am planning on being at the Arctic Circle on June 21st for Summer Solstice.

Camping in my main plan, except if it is raining then getting a room is in order. Wll be riding my 2008 Ultra. Last time I was on a GW.

Dan
DLJX2@roadrunner.com
Dan, I am planning to leave Richmond, VA on June 12, also heading to Alaska and the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle. Riding my 2007 Ultra. Should be very interesting for the Dalton Highway. Looks like it will be OK, if it doesn't rain. Looks pretty messy in the rain! I have never been to Alaska. Have done three cross country trips and one to Newfoundland. Should be about 12,000 miles for me round trip and I am allowing 30 days! Maybe see you along the way somewhere!!

Jim

Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 PM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Arctic Circle

We are planning on being above the arctic circle on the 4th of July. My wife and I are coming from Florida and that is just the way the days fell on our vacation time. We will be in Fairbanks for two or three days around that run. She has a Night Train and is one of the only women I know of to ride her own up the Dalton. I'm riding a Road King. We are not planning on making it the whole way up the haul road with big street bikes. Road is too shitty to go the whole way. We'll cross the Yukon River and get up past the arctic circle turnout, get some pics then start back home. Maybe we will see you up around there somewhere.

Tom

Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by TFTom
We are planning on being above the arctic circle on the 4th of July. My wife and I are coming from Florida and that is just the way the days fell on our vacation time. We will be in Fairbanks for two or three days around that run. She has a Night Train and is one of the only women I know of to ride her own up the Dalton. I'm riding a Road King. We are not planning on making it the whole way up the haul road with big street bikes. Road is too shitty to go the whole way. We'll cross the Yukon River and get up past the arctic circle turnout, get some pics then start back home. Maybe we will see you up around there somewhere.

Tom
Tom, are you and your wife riding all the way from Florida? Have you made the trip before? Based on my schedule I may past you coming back on your way up!!

Jim
'07 Ultra

Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Cummins
6th Gear
Default Alaska Run

I hope to see all of you on the trip. I am on a 2008 Ultra Blue/Black. I will have a Blue Star Flag in my windshield (Two sons serving).

Ready impressed that your wife is riding from Florida.

I am turing around after reaching the AC.

Sleep patterns weren't bad. Did my last ride in 9 days. This time I am doing it in 14.

Can't wait to see the 2010 Milepost.

Dan

Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 PM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Alaska Run

Dan

You got two sons serving? Cool, I can relate. My oldest just completed two tours in Iraq and # 2 son completed another. They were going to stop watch him to Afghanistan but he worked a deal to go to Korea instead then ETS out. Got another just getting ready to go in next year. We have 6 sons total. We will be leaving Florida around the 3rd week of June and stopping in Seattle around the 25th before we start up the Cassair hwy in BC. I 'm ridin a 99 Black Road King and Jen has a 06 Night Train with a 16" front runner for the ruts. After AC we are going to spend a couple days in around Denali/Anchroage before we go over to Haines and take the ferry down to Bellingham. Hope to see you out there!

Tom

Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Cummins
6th Gear
Default Sons

Tom,

My sons are in the Navy and Marines. The Navy Son is heading over for his forth tour, and our Marine is headin over for this fifth. I sure hopr this mess is ended soon.

I will e riding up I-15 to Canada and then up the ALCAN to Fairbanks and then on to Livengood and the Haul Road. I am riding to the AC and then back home. Been thinking about heading on to Coldfoot, I have been told that the food is good there + they have gas......

If I fill up in Livengood, I should be able to round trip that one. I wonder if I can camp at the Artic Circle? That might be fun, except for the mosquitoes...

Hope to see you all on the road. If you want I can give you a road report for the Haul road.

Dan

Old 02-01-2010, 04:49 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cummins
Tom,

My sons are in the Navy and Marines. The Navy Son is heading over for his forth tour, and our Marine is headin over for this fifth. I sure hopr this mess is ended soon.

I will e riding up I-15 to Canada and then up the ALCAN to Fairbanks and then on to Livengood and the Haul Road. I am riding to the AC and then back home. Been thinking about heading on to Coldfoot, I have been told that the food is good there + they have gas......

If I fill up in Livengood, I should be able to round trip that one. I wonder if I can camp at the Artic Circle? That might be fun, except for the mosquitoes...

Hope to see you all on the road. If you want I can give you a road report for the Haul road.

Dan
Dan, I am planning on leaving Richmond, Virginia on June 12 and also looking to get to the Arctic Circle around June 21. I have 30 days to make the round trip. Should be about 12,000 miles for me. There is also gas at the Yukon crossing too, so gas should not be a problem. Also the Dalton is "paved" from the AC to Coldfoot so I planned to turn around at Coldfoot too. Should be a good trip on the Ultra, IF it doesn't rain. Looks pretty messy when it rains on the Dalton!! I am planning to head up thru Montana, Glacier NP and the Icefields Parkway before hitting the ALCAN at Dawson Creek. I will watch for you!!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 PM
TFTom
Intermediate
Default Arctic Circle

Dan

Sounds like your boys are in it for the long haul. Good luck to them! I have a hotel rented for a couple of nights over the 4th of july weekend in Fairbanks. Hopefully one of those days the weather will be decent and we can make that run up to the Circle wayside. Thought about going up to Coldfoot but the Circle is already a 400 mile round trip from Fairbanks. The road conditions will probably tell the tale. We are planning on filling up at Livengood to. According to the Milepost there's gas at the Yukon river crossing as well. There's also camping at the AC wayside. We'd love to hear from you if you are up there a week before us. Not too many people will get that kind of update.

Quick Reply: Arctic Circle from Las Angles