Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pacific hwy 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

I would suggest taking this short ride off 101 just south of Eureka. Take the small grey road through Ferndale, Capetown, Petrolia, to Honeydew. (There's a neat little store there) and on over through these Redwoods and back to 101. The Redwoods are really amazing to see up close, pictures can't do them justice. Still I took one when I was there last year. (On my Suzuki DR650)

Old 02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the Road to Petrolia it's a great ride full turns but I don't know how short it is compared to 101 . My son and I did it last summer on our way down the coast . Others in our group stayed on the 101 and they got to our meeting spot 2 hours a head of us. It was worth it it's great ride and no trafic what so ever I think we saw maybe three cars.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
connector
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
I would suggest taking this short ride off 101 just south of Eureka. Take the small grey road through Ferndale, Capetown, Petrolia, to Honeydew. (There's a neat little store there) and on over through these Redwoods and back to 101. The Redwoods are really amazing to see up close, pictures can't do them justice. Still I took one when I was there last year. (On my Suzuki DR650)

Did this a few years ago on another bike and it was worth every minute. Take your time and look at these beast there aren't that many around anymore and they are unbelivable in personPacific hwy 1-rd.jpg

Old 02-03-2010, 12:47 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

from just south of Montery watch for the California Condor they soar over the
Hwy at about 50 feet they are a great sight to see

Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
rrsjs5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..this is kinda an interesting stop,elephant seals,just north of Hearst Castle..

Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'll put MHO on the list. First, from the OR/CAL border to San Diego, if you're going to stop in some towns, aquariums, giant redwoods, San Fran, wineries and so on may take you a week. I would NOT go from May through August. Too much fog, too many Winebagos, way, way too many tourists. Wait till school starts in September and the fog will be gone and the kids are back in school = great views with fewer people.

Buy a tour guide book and plan your trip with what you like to do. Enjoy some of the greatest roads and sights you'll ever see.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:49 AM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oregon coast north of coos bay which is also the only dealer on the oregon coast..

Attached Thumbnails Pacific hwy 1-vacation-09-211.jpg  
Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Ore coast

Hey Black Bastard. aA few weeks ago you gave me a route to take to Yellowstone. I am going to return the favor. I grew up in Oregon. You cna pick up the coast in Washington or Ore. Either way to me that is the most beatiful part of the west coast. There are wsome nice twisty highways to ride as well as some awesome scenery. There are some places where you will come away from the coast like around Coos Bay but then you will come back to it.
Places to see, seal beach, reedsportthere are state parks that you can camp if you like. There is a HD dealer in Coos Bay and while you are there go out to sunset bay and Charleston Harbor. Going south you will leave the coast for a while and come back to it in Bandon great little coast town. Gold Beach is where the Rogue River dumps into the Ocean if you get a chance take the Mail boat up the Rogue, you can take either the 30 0r 60 mile round trip, either one they go into the wilderness area stop at these little places up river and feed you one of the best meals you will ever eat. You usually see a lot of wildlife and the boats are 3 and four engine jets that do some awesome 360's.
Next place to make sure you stop is my favorite little coast town that's Brookings it is the Banana belt of the oregon coast old hippy town is to cool. you can go charter boat fishing there if you want.
Then you go away from the coast for a little while and come out in Crescent City CA. You will go into the Redwoods and come out going south in Eureka Make sure you go out to the Somoa House for a meal, it's an old logging Cook house that they turned into a resturant, they feed you family style food is friggin' incredibule and more than you will ever eat. From there there is probably someone here that can guide you through northern Ca better thAn me. Sorry for the mispelled words i am trying to finish this before I leave work in four minutes. If you want more PM me. and again thanks for the route to yellowstone I already have it mapped out.
Jim

Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 PM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

born and raised on the oregon coast also so yes you need to go to all the places mentioned the rouge mail boats are a great ride and the samoa cook house is one we never miss

Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Grumbler
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Used to live in Carmel followed by Carmel Valley with my parents before relocating
to Santa Cruz then the South Bay. Have been out on the PCH btw Brookings, OR
and Newport Beach. Most of my rides have been btw Morro Bay and Crescent City.

To me, the best part of PCH starts in San Simeon where the road becomes two
lanes, and absolutely rocks until Carmel Highlands. It's just so-so from there to
Castroville and Santa Cruz.

The Santa Cruz to Golden Gate Bridge stretch is decent to good. Getting thru
San Francisco can be a PITA. Would suggest taking PCH towards Daly City
then take the Hwy 35 (Skyline Blvd) off-ramp north to the Great Highway.

Great Highway changes into Point Lobos Ave after it curls east. Follow it to
Geary then hang a left onto 26th to El Camino del Mar which becomes Lincoln
Blvd as you head east thru the Presidio. Take the first left turn *after* going
underneath the US-101 overpass. That will take you to the Golden Gate Bridge.

PCH from Golden Gate Bridge to Leggett is a terrific ride. Leggett to Crescent
City is where US-101 takes over. Include Avenue of the Giants as well as the
Lost Coast Loop (Mattole Rd btw Humboldt Redwoods SP and Ferndale). Keep
in mind that the stretch btw Humboldt Redwoods SP and Honeydew isn't in
the best shape so take it easy out there. Had to dodge horse poop near
Ferndale. If only one of my friends was close behind. LOL!

Highly recommend staying in Fortuna in one of the motels next to Eel River
Brewing Co.

US-101 is more enjoyable along the 2-lane stretches. Crescent City to Brookings
doesn't do anything for me. We rode just a little north of Brookings before turning
back and grabbing 197 east to northbound 199. The scenery and route north of
Brookings is stunning.

Keep in mind that the PCH in Oregon is a speed trap with many small towns along
the route. Congestion can be an issue. Ditto for PCH btw Big Sur and the Carmel
Valley Rd jct.

Last edited by Grumbler; 02-08-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Pacific hwy 1