Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pennsylvania Grand Canyon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pennsylvania Grand Canyon?

Has anyone been here? I saw pics and it looked like an OK ride. It's about 5 hours from me and I was looking to do an overnighter. Is there a road at the bottom of the "canyon" or is it just a trail? Can't tell from the pics. Any input would be beneficial

Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM
jay72
Road Captain

I posed the question on this forum last year. There was a fellow from the area that gave me some very good info. Will be making the ride again this year. See if you can contact Geezer Glider.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:09 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Our family camped in the area every year back when the kids were little. No road at the bottom of the Canyon, just walking and bike trail. We only went to the Leonard Harrison side where there's a nice hiking trail to Pine Creek at the bottom.

Quaint historic town of Wellsboro nearby and a stop at the Wellsboro diner is a must. The Penn Wells or Sherwood Hotels are popular places to stay. There's a very nice state park (Hillscreek) a few miles out with good campsites, cabins and facilities. We've also stayed at the privately owned Stoneyfork Creek campground also a few miles out from Wellsboro.

Not a whole lot to do up there except camp, hike or hunt. Nearest big towns/malls are south in Williamsport and 50 miles north in Elmira NY.

We've never taken our bikes up there but hope to do so this summer. May try some soaring in Elmira. Rt 6 across the top of PA would be the most scenic route to the Canyon area.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:14 PM
PLHbrian
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is well worth the trip. Jump on Route 6 and ride as much of it as time will alow for your trip. It is a great ride. To your question about the canyon road; There is an unpaved service road to the bottom of the canyon. Not sure if you can or would want to ride on it though.

Lots of small towns and State parks along or near route 6.

Some links:

http://www.visittiogapa.com/

http://www.hersheys.com/

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/wheretogo.html

http://coudersportpa.com/

Couple of photos from my trip to the canyon last summer:

Attached Thumbnails Pennsylvania Grand Canyon?-img_0428.jpg   Pennsylvania Grand Canyon?-img_0426.jpg   Pennsylvania Grand Canyon?-img_0421.jpg  
Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The west side if full of switchbacks and starts out as paved then dirt.....
Use to camp there in the 80's.

South end Rt 414 /44 is very cool ride along the river...
Alternate is 120 another cool road

Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Area around the canyon is great, as another said contact geezerglide he's from the area. Base area stay in wellsboro lots of hotels, quaint old fashion town stainless steel diner, gas lit lanterns for streetlights. Recommend Canyon motel 1st then Sherwood 2nd, but check a management co took over the canyon motel 2 years back and was looking for a new buyer so might have lost some charm. Do make reservations or chances are you won't get a room in town. Roads in area 44, 144, 287 is nice valley with a large lake on your right. rt 6 west of wellsboro towards couldersport, didn't care for rt 6 east of wellsboro. I'd take rt 6 west to couldersport then backtrack back on 120. take 120 east back to a connecting route for home. If thats too big of a loop take 44/144 to rt 120 near renova great twisties. You'll love the area that is our first trip of the year every year.

Last edited by bruce sg08; 01-26-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:59 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wellsboro

There use to be a restaurant called Antlers Inn just west of wellsboro had great steaks and cold beer. Also, a bar in Wellsboro called Joe Picks, biker friendly and good burgers. Not sure if still there though. As the others said the scenery is great and lots of good riding roads. Take rt 44 from Galeton into Cross Forks great ride. I use to work at Ole Bull State park and loved that area. Have fun.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior

Sounds like its gonna be a good time, I am just lining some stuff up for the summer...thanks for the replies

Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in PA, not all that far from the Canyon. Anyone planning on making the trip should get hold of me and maybe we can get together for a ride.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ptl203
Has anyone been here? I saw pics and it looked like an OK ride. It's about 5 hours from me and I was looking to do an overnighter. Is there a road at the bottom of the "canyon" or is it just a trail? Can't tell from the pics. Any input would be beneficial
I'm the guy who lives there. PM me & I can give you places to stay, best bike routes, restaurants, canyon info, etc. Better make it 2 nights! Great riding up here.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania Grand Canyon?